Dungeon in RTL

By Gigel2, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

Hi everyone,

I have just a quick question about the dungeons in RTL... in the Encounters (as OL) I'm allowed to spend 2 threat tokens to gain 1 MP am I allowed to do so in the dungeons ??

No.

An interesting side effect is that the lieutenants can do something the avatar can't.

That would mean the Avatar doesn't have the option of spendind threat for movement ? this is kind of stupid isn't it ? :)

Gigel said:

That would mean the Avatar doesn't have the option of spendind threat for movement ? this is kind of stupid isn't it ? :)

The avatar is only encountered in a dungeon, where this option does not exist. You can give it to him as a house rule if you like, I highly doubt it would make a difference in the final battle if the reports I've heard are true.

from what I've seen from the cards and quest book.... the Avatar is kind of OVERPOWERED I mean I can get an extra 100 points of life and I will use 4 gold dice :) they will die a horrible death in my house :)

Gigel said:

from what I've seen from the cards and quest book.... the Avatar is kind of OVERPOWERED I mean I can get an extra 100 points of life and I will use 4 gold dice :) they will die a horrible death in my house :)

You will learn... gran_risa.gif

Experience shows that Final Battles are mostly vastly in favour of the heroes. Few Avatars manage to kill even a single hero.
Most heroes can easily do 20-30 damage per attack by the end of gold level. And many, if not most, heroes will have additional attacks, high fatigue and other bonuses.
So you can expect 6-10 attacks per round from heroes, each attack doing 15-20 wounds to the OL. In return the OL will get 1-2 attacks doing 10-15 wounds back. The OL must kill 4 heroes, and will take 2-3 rounds minimum to kill his first hero (heroes have 15-20 additional wounds each from CT gathered in the OLs keep, + any wound SM upgrades, so average around 30-35 wounds each), by which time he is already down 200-400 wounds...
It's a no contest.
And that is without considering special tricks like Knockback, which will force the Avatar to move before attacking (ths guaranteeing a maximum of 1 attack per turn), stealth (invisibility potions), so an extra 1/3 of his attacks miss, etc etc.

It is not impossible for an Avatar to do well, but generally speaking the heroes can put the house on a campaign win if they can make it through to the final battle.

Gigel said:

100 extra HP and 4 gold dice might sound like a lot, especially to someone who hasn't played the campaign game yet, but trust me, it's not that much by the time the heroes get to Gold level.

Take a close look at the stats for regular monsters at gold level. Gold level heroes are still clearing rooms about as easily as you would expect of heroes in Gold gear, which means the number of hit points a gold beastman has is roughly how many wounds the heroes are putting out per attack, after armor has been considered. That's the average. Good rolling will boost things significantly.