Newbie question5:Drinking potions (solved)

By pusapapa, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

Descent base game errata sheet first page:"Each hero may only drink 1 potion (of any type) each turn..........All potions are returned to the Market when the effects of that potion end."

First sentence means that each hero may only drink 1 healing potion or 1 vitality potion each turn ?

What's mean for Last sentence ?

The last sentence means that once used, the potion is then returned to the unused tokens pile. Its the pile where you take them from in the first place. If there is no left (think there is 9 of each?) then no more can be bought until some are returned to the pile (by basically drinking them). This also means that if heroes reveal a new area and there is insufficient potions from the pile then ho hum they get none! You do not have to place any on the board as you cannot as they are all unavailable (all tokens with the heroes).

Well, they shouldn't be so greedy with retail therapy eh? hehe

The first sentence say that you can use only one potion token each turn. If you have 3 healing potions, you cannot use 2 in the same turn.

Well,I see. haha you must be a overload.

New question:When overload set up a new area,if there is insufficient potions for that ,overload can't place these potions?

Red Die Guy said:

The last sentence means that once used, the potion is then returned to the unused tokens pile. Its the pile where you take them from in the first place. If there is no left (think there is 9 of each?) then no more can be bought until some are returned to the pile (by basically drinking them). This also means that if heroes reveal a new area and there is insufficient potions from the pile then ho hum they get none! You do not have to place any on the board as you cannot as they are all unavailable (all tokens with the heroes).

Well, they shouldn't be so greedy with retail therapy eh? hehe

Well,I see. haha you must be a overload.

New question:When overload set up a new area,if there is insufficient potions for that ,overload can't place these potions?

gran_orco said:

The first sentence say that you can use only one potion token each turn. If you have 3 healing potions, you cannot use 2 in the same turn.

Thanks I see .I think if no limit for it ,the skill rapid fire will be powful

pusapapa said:

Exactly.

For example, If there a no vitality potions available from the unused pile (rules refer to this as the 'market') when a new area is revealed shows there to be a vitality potion in it, then you cannot place this token because you would have to take one from the heroes which is an obvious no no. Nor do you place the token when one eventually does become available (although sneaky hero players may ask for this. Like mine).

haha but heros never know when overload require potion unless they peeped quest guid

pusapapa said:

haha but heros never know when overload require potion unless they peeped quest guid

Its a safe bet that most new areas revealed will have 1 vitality potion and 1 health potion (at least in the base game quests) so players will eventually cotton on and make sure at least 1 of each is available in the market when the new door is opened. If they don't then they are potentially losing items but thats the risk heros run. You should try and encourage this paranoia in your heroes, it seems like an evil Overlordy thing to do. hehehe!