Dark charm mayhem

By Drglord, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

Okay we all know dark charm and here is a mayhem question. Faq has already covered that you can't attack your self with word of vaal equipped. Funny thing our wizard has spiritwalker. Weird as hell i might say. Situation can you attack your self (and probably others) by using spiritwalker when being controlled by dark charm? Well the real question would be can the OL activate spiritwalker and choose from which player (within range) he initiates the attack?

Looks like a legal application of the rules. Of course the spiritwalked hero would not be affected by Word of Vaal, but the Spiritwalker himself would be if in range.

Parathion said:

Looks like a legal application of the rules. Of course the spiritwalked hero would not be affected by Word of Vaal, but the Spiritwalker himself would be if in range.

I concur. The only reason you can't attack yourself with Word of Vaal is because the weapon has a fixed area of effect that (according to the FAQ) doesn't include the central space the hero is standing in. Spiritwalker would let him get around that.

I'm pretty sure the OL can use the hero's skills for the attack if he wants. The only thing I remember him being expressly forbidden from doing is forcing the hero to spend Fatigue. (Spiritwalker doesn't cost Fatigue to use, does it?)

Steve-O said:

The only reason you can't attack yourself with Word of Vaal is because the weapon has a fixed area of effect that (according to the FAQ) doesn't include the central space the hero is standing in.

I don't think that's true. The FAQ says that the charmed hero isn't affected by his own Word of Vaal attack, but does not specify any reasoning. The Word of Vaal says: "Attacks with the Word of Vaal affect all enemy figures within 3 spaces of your hero" (according to Descent in the Dark ).

I don't see anything about excluding the space at the center, I see text that excludes everything that is not an "enemy." It was always my understanding that whether the hero affected himself would depend on whether he counted as his own enemy while Dark Charmed.

If I'm correct, then when the overlord uses Spiritwalker to center the attack on another hero, the hero centered on the attack would be affected (he's still an enemy), and the hero holding the Word of Vaal would not be affected (he's still not an enemy). Location within the attack radius is irrelevant.

Antistone said:

If I'm correct, then when the overlord uses Spiritwalker to center the attack on another hero, the hero centered on the attack would be affected (he's still an enemy), and the hero holding the Word of Vaal would not be affected (he's still not an enemy). Location within the attack radius is irrelevant.

Fair enough. That also rings true with other discussions about enemy/ally designations we've had recently, so I can certainly get behind that interpretation.

Ok, using the friendly/enemy argument, Spiritwalker thorugh another hero is not allowed with a Dark Charm attack, so the OP question would not occur.

"When making a Magic attack, you may cause the attack to originate from any space up to 10 spaces away that contains a friendly figure (but not a familiar). All aspects of the attack (such as tracing line of sight and calculating range) are done as though you were in that space."

Heck, since monsters are friendly figures in that moment, the DC hero could Spiritwalk through a monster, couldn´t he? sorpresa.gif

Parathion said:

Ok, using the friendly/enemy argument, Spiritwalker thorugh another hero is not allowed with a Dark Charm attack, so the OP question would not occur.

"When making a Magic attack, you may cause the attack to originate from any space up to 10 spaces away that contains a friendly figure (but not a familiar). All aspects of the attack (such as tracing line of sight and calculating range) are done as though you were in that space."

Heck, since monsters are friendly figures in that moment, the DC hero could Spiritwalk through a monster, couldn´t he? sorpresa.gif

Yes, that's right. A dark charmed hero with spiritwalker could attack through a monster because it is a friendly figure.

Whoa, that seems pretty nifty. I'll have to bear that in mind. Couple this with a monster within command radius and you're laughing.

Parathion said:

Good point.