First Quest Chest rewards question.

By begust, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

Greetings, I got this game for christmas and have some questions.

So the heros get to the first copper chest and it as a 1 under it. I read the chest list and it says 2 conquest tokens, 1 curse, 1 copper treasure. The rule books says that each hero gets each of these, my players have 4 heros, What do i give them?

1. 8 conquest tokens, 4 copper treasure cards, 4 curse's, but wow thats a lot of conquest tokens, and whats a curse can't find this in the rule book.

2. 2 conquest token, 4 copper treasure cards ( but to whom? do i give one to each hero or 4 to the team?), are the curse's my threat token's?

Sorry if you have already answered these questions for someone else earlyer, i could not find what i needed searching.

Brad

begust said:

Greetings, I got this game for christmas and have some questions.

So the heros get to the first copper chest and it as a 1 under it. I read the chest list and it says 2 conquest tokens, 1 curse, 1 copper treasure. The rule books says that each hero gets each of these, my players have 4 heros, What do i give them?

1. 8 conquest tokens, 4 copper treasure cards, 4 curse's, but wow thats a lot of conquest tokens, and whats a curse can't find this in the rule book.

2. 2 conquest token, 4 copper treasure cards ( but to whom? do i give one to each hero or 4 to the team?), are the curse's my threat token's?

Sorry if you have already answered these questions for someone else earlyer, i could not find what i needed searching.

Brad

You would award them the second option. They as a team receive 2 Conquest tokens, they each draw 1 Copper treasure and you receive 1 curse. With 4 heroes, your Curse would reward you 4 Threat tokens. Note that the rulebook allows you to acquire and spend the threat acquired from a Curse on a Trap card first; before the contents of the chest are distributed.

begust said:

This part of the rules could have been written better, IMHO. In particular I'm not sure why they chose to use the word "curse" instead of just continuing to use "threat." The answer is you give them 2 Conquest, 4 copper treasures (one to each hero, dealt in whichever order you like) and you get 4 threat (1 threat per hero in the game.) If the heroes don't like the treasure they draw or want to trade, they'll have to do that using the rules for trading items. Niether you nor they get to look at the treasure cards before they're dealt out (although there is a skill card from one of the expansions that allows the heroes to redistribute treasure as they see fit.)

As Kain said, FFG has clarified that you gain this threat FIRST and can in fact use it to pay for a trap card on the chest which might end up delaying the distribution of the rest of the treasure to the heroes (if you play a Mimic card, for example, the heroes will have to kill the resulting "beastman" before they get their goodies.)