Let's help FFG make this game tight!

By pulsar3, in Battles of Napoleon

I would love to hear what criticisms and fixes people have come up with for this game, especially who have played this game a dozen times or so.

Please include house rules and any physical modes of play, meaning manners and courtesies of game play (such as announcing turns, placement of tokens in certain ways, etc.) that clarify game play or make certain rules easier to follow.

FFG and Nexus have to make the first move by releasing the FAQ that has been urgently requested by the gaming community for over a year and has been "under development" for more than 6 months.

BoardGameGeek forums (where much of the conversation on this game seems to take place rather than here, which seems odd to me) is loaded with suggestions, observations, ideas like the ones you call for. But the entire discussion is couched in a sense of uncertainty due to the many unanswered questions. The rules simply do not address too many game-shaping situations, and that leaves the players wondering if they are even playing correctly.

Add to that the overall concern that we are all "falling in love" with a game that will not be supported, expanded, promoted, etc. I'm an optimist, but you have to wonder why FFG and Nexus would leave so many open questions on the table so long. And, look at the FFG mini-site support page for BoN... see any videos, bonus scenarios, FAQs, news, or any of the other stuff the "supported" games have?

So, I agree with you 100%, the player community will need to step up and make this great game a shining star ... but first the companies themselves need to make the first move ... publish the FAQ (even in draft form), get some promotional and supporting materials out there, support conversations on the FFG board.

Man, all good points.

You know I really wish FFG would make a concerted effort to corral comments concerning their titles from BGG over here. I had to contact Pouchain over there, had a hard time finding him, then noticed he either didn't want to answer most of the questions posted regarding my new favorite game, Cadwallon, or didn't know there was a little button that would take him to the six other pages of them posted there. It was kind of sad, because I would think he would want to be involved with the company taking over childcare of his baby.

My explanation I give to myself is FFG is still working out the kinks of their new forum. One suggestion, FFG: discourage so many redundant threads, and old irrelevant ones, (like months-old discussions of whether games are still on the slow boat from China.)

I second your motion to get the FAQ out. I hope in this case, however, that the reason FFG's taking so long is they're not rushing the job. I hate a rushed job: it never fails to reflect in the product, and in would be a worse crime.

In defense of FFG I sent them 2 questions by email about clarrification of the rules and they got back to me in about a day.

And, I sent Nexus an email asking, point blank, when the FAQ would be ready. They were very open, saying they can't promise but they are shooting for 3 - 4 weeks.

That's great. I guess I'll have to watch the News for that FAQ release if I get this one. I didn't know you could send them an email directly. I thought they read the forums and dip in more often than this to announce it to more people than just the person emailing. I still wish we could corral forum comments on FFG games to FFG forums. It takes long enough combing through these for the right topic, often hidden under other thread titles.

would be great if a copy of the e-mail answers to questions reaches the forums....

Just one little thing ... I asked my daughter to use this Fimo Product to make a bunch of Cannon Balls, used as a Marker for the current turn.

Just an idea ...

DSC_0307.JPG?psid=1

DSC_0306.JPG?psid=1

... with the Pics now !

pic1020377_md.jpg

pic1020376_md.jpg

Cool marker, I like it!

KlausFritsch said:

Cool marker, I like it!

Thanks for your comment ! I'll tell it to my daughter ...