Sould Ward and Prodigy

By legend forge, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

I am in a RtL campaign where one of the heroes is playing a Landrec the Wise and has the Prodigy skill, so he gets alot of free surges. As the Overlord and playing the Sorcerer King I bought the Soul Ward Upgrade to negate rolled surges but does this cancel the free surges provided by Prodigy and Landrec's hero ability?

I can't get a consensus among the players (usually me and one of the players who knows the system really well would figure it out but we are uncertain).

legend forge said:

I am in a RtL campaign where one of the heroes is playing a Landrec the Wise and has the Prodigy skill, so he gets alot of free surges. As the Overlord and playing the Sorcerer King I bought the Soul Ward Upgrade to negate rolled surges but does this cancel the free surges provided by Prodigy and Landrec's hero ability?

I can't get a consensus among the players (usually me and one of the players who knows the system really well would figure it out but we are uncertain).

The Soul Ward prevents all surges on the attack roll. That includes Landrec's free one, prodigy, any given by items and anything else. It was clarified by FFG, though I can't find where (hopefully someone else will find it).

I really hope you understand that it negates the surges only on attacks targeted on your avatar in the final combat and not in the whole campaign :)

Would be funny to cut their surges on the whole campaign :)

We just finished our second campaign, Sorcerer King as OL Avatar. We used the card as it is written(I cant recall reading the information Corbon refers to, and cant find it when searching for it), meaning skills/abilites/items giving surges arent rolled = NOT canceled. The "Soul Ward" protects somewhat, but not much when the heroes comes with gold gear.

In our Avatarfight the Avatar was dead at turn 3 or 4(after avatar was revealed), and he had inflicted exactly 0 points of damage to the heroes.

Definitely a question worth to be asked again and included in the FAQ threads.

Since the card does read attacks that target the Avatar would you be able to get around soul ward by using a blast attack targetting the space beside the Avatar rather then targetting the Avatar itself?