Trappings

By Hangfire2, in Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay

I'm a little unsure about trappings at character creation. I can't seem to find where is says if you get them for free at character creation, or is you have to purchase them. Some of the careers have stuff that would be hard, or impossible, to buy. I assume you get the trappings for free for your first career,but have to purchase them for your subsequent careers, correct?

I think trappings are a hold-over from 2nd edition - where they were required to move from career to career. (haven't played 2nd, just going on hearsay)

There is no trappings requirement for career transition in 3rd edition, and the rules are silent about trappings in character creation (or anywhere else).

Trappings are, I believe, merely a descriptive aid to help players flesh out the character that is following a particular career. They are not required to have them, but acquiring them is a good roleplaying opportunity.

Well what about the Ironbreaker - does he not start with the special armor? And if he does, why don't all the careers start with the basic equipment needed to perform the career. All I can remember about trappings is from playing 1st edition, and that's not much help.

A character's starting "Wealth" dictates quite literally what you start off with, plus bonus money.

Depending on the career, one *could* buy the trappings listed on the Career card, depending on how many Creation Points are invested into starting Wealth.

There are obviously some exceptions (ie- the Swordmaster's sword and the Ironbreaker). Why THEY get to start off with awesome gear but no one else does is something that I can't quite explain.

IB and SM are different. Their special starting gear (IB's armor, SM's greatsword) are actually their career ability , which is why they get them for 'free'. Trappings listed on career cards are just suggestions of equipment that a typical member of that career would carry, to give GMs and players an idea of the sort of equipment typically used. In creation, the only equipment that a PC gets for free is what is listed under their "wealth" selection section, and they may use starting funds to purchase additional equipment.

Okay, that's what I thought. That's what I did when I ran through a few character creations to see how it worked. But I'm running my first game for my group tonight and wanted to make sure. I have at least one player that's going to want to get all the trappings for free, plus anything that his starting wealth might generate.

Thanks guys.

I remember reading an idea from Emirikol (Correct me if it was someone else), in which they suggested giving your players a poor quality version of all the typical trappings, and the money from their wealth rating, but nothing else unless they spent the money for it.

It's a house rule, but I like it quite a bit.

Darrett said:

I remember reading an idea from Emirikol (Correct me if it was someone else), in which they suggested giving your players a poor quality version of all the typical trappings, and the money from their wealth rating, but nothing else unless they spent the money for it.

It's a house rule, but I like it quite a bit.

I'm sure Emirikol will stop by and clarify, but in his campaign "poor" quality items add a misfortune die to use (or is that a core rule, I forget now happy.gif ) ... regardless, a good idea.

GullyFoyle said:

I'm sure Emirikol will stop by and clarify, but in his campaign "poor" quality items add a misfortune die to use (or is that a core rule, I forget now happy.gif ) ... regardless, a good idea.

That's a core rule.

As other's have said; the careers that start with good stuff have the ability to do so as their career ability in lieu of a more typical career ability. Which also, technically, means they must complete that career so that they can keep their career ability...their gear...when they switch to a new career.

Trappings are just suggestions and must be bought.

On the other hand, if you just let everyone start with their "trappings" for free at character creation for sake of convenience it wouldn't break the game.

However, you will invariably get a player that doesn't want some or all of the listed trappings and would prefer something else. Then you get into a substitution negotiation...or just let them "sell it back" and buy something worth equivalent coin.

You may want to slightly lower the "starting money" to account for this freebie...or you might not if a) you don't sweat the small stuff and b) don't want to muddy the waters with extra bookkeeping.

It seems to me, however, that one of the big issues with giving PCs free trappings is that it greatly lessens the need for the PC to purchase Wealth. For example, That roadwarden can choose Poor because they automatically can start with a pistol, sword, armor, etc. So all they need is a little pocket change, which they can usually pick up fairly quickly. One of the driving factors in creation for spending points in Wealth is because of the free equipment you get plus the money to purchase more equipment.

I could *maybe* see allowing them to have poor quality versions of the trappings for free, but IMO that's still borderline.

If you want to make the career trappings mean something you could give players a 25% discount on any purchase that fits the career.

I like the "starting with poor quality trappings (without weapons)" because it starts the PC's with goals to work up to . Starting at average items really makes me wonder, 'what's the point of even having poor items?'

Anyways, if you start them with poor trappings, you've got to have actual price lists for the items in case they decide to upgrade..price lists is a weakness of this game...

jh

But if they get just a bit of wealth, then they can buy average weapons and armor at character creation.

After playing last night, and on of the guys picked Ironbreaker, I see how his armor is special case. All in all the trappings weren't a big problem, other than trying to convince the guy playing a Trollslayer that he wouldn't wear armor. Everything worked out great, so thanks for all the suggestions gang.

Hi there,

I have a question about trappings, might seem stupit but here it goes...

How does trappings used? I mean, I know about the obvious ones, like torches...but, stuff like "License, Prayer Book, Religious Symbol". or Grimoire, Writing Kit...

How can a character use their trappings when they have no ovious reason for being there?

Is there a compedium that explains trappings?

Thanks.

I am not sure I understand the question. If the character wants to write something down, he will need a writing kit and paper, if he wants to read prayers, he'll need his prayer book etc..

Well, many of the trappings are more about the character than something you use for a benifit. As WFRP is a roleplaying game, not all things need to "do" anything from a game mechanics perspective, but they can enhance the feel of the character.

A priest character might have a prayer book, religious symbols and maybe some other badge of office. It might not give any particular benifits in the rules, but if you're playing a priest you're expected to have the telltale signs of your faith.

As in the real world; priests to have certain clothes and objects (i.e. trappings) when they preach. While the clothes and objects might not have any 'reason' to be there, a priests could preach in shorts and a t-shirt after all, but it is expected that they dress the part.

Edited by k7e9

We mixed 2nd Ed with 3rd Ed. So you roll a dice based on wealth choice and [Career (+ extra if noble) (- if a minion)] Eg 3D10 +40 gold I made those figures up but there was a list we used.

Using the 2ed equipment book you have lots more choices on what to purchase. 3Ed mentions buying certain things but dont have them listed in the shop part of the book.

I bought lots of candles for my light wizard.

The trappings are more a suggestion, so you can if wish buy those with your wealth. Ironbreakers get their armour from a card, but most people ban that career from their games.

Damaged armour and weapons are a good idea for a starter group. Then once wealthy enough visit a blacksmith to repair them for a fee.

I ruled in my actual group that they started with the listed trappings but the wealth value stated the condition of their trappings.

like having books and being poor resulted in having lose pages hold together by thread while being comfortable provided a real book with cover.

The above poster is my GM.

I use the trappings only as NPC suggestions (not everyone can afford even a poor pistol right away) but do say that if you are ever without something considered a "trapping" of your career you do not have to make a roll to find it, you can simply buy it for its list price. I similarly let PC's always replace starting kit by wealth stuff (so if you spent points on being wealthy you can always find a healing draught - though just one).