Crypt of the Necromancer

By Leew, in Descent Home Brews

Just created a new dungeon and added it to the database. Thought I would post a notice here to get it some attention as I am eager to see what people think of it. Its got some original ideas to be used with descent and a couple of puzzles to boot. Please enjoy.

This quest calls for more skeleton figures than come with the game. I believe it also calls for more X-intersection map pieces than come with the base game, though players with the Well of Darkness expansion may be OK on that count.

I only noticed one "puzzle", and I don't see any way of reasoning from the clues to the listed solution. On the other hand, there are no rules for actually entering the solution, and no penalty for guessing wrong, so I suppose the heroes could just systematically try every possible combination.

In general, it's somewhat risky to puzzles into something like a Descent quest, because there's no guarantee that people who like playing Descent also like puzzles, and they often mess up replays (especially when, as in your case, the heroes don't even need to collect the clues if they already know the answer) - though I'll admit I've used them once or twice.

The quest rules call for encounter markers to activate when a hero ends their turn adjacent to them - the standard is for them to trigger when a hero ends their turn on them (and even that convention is pretty weird). If the overlord enforces that strictly (and assumes that a space is not adjacent to itself), heroes could be stuck for a long time with no idea how to activate them.

I hate to break it to you, but transforming villagers into monsters and penalizing the heroes for killing them is not actually an original idea to Descent - one of the Altar of Despair quests has a similar premise. In your quest, their inability to open doors and the fact that the heroes can clear that room in under a round means that they may end up locked in a box from before their first turn through the end of the quest. I suppose the overlord can spawn monsters to let them out...

Assuming they do get out, they can block the encounter marker by the red door, even if the heroes can move through them, since you require a hero to end their movement there.

Without actually having played the quest...the rooms almost seem like they're arranged in decreasing order of difficulty. Area 1 has eight tier 2 monsters (half of which are masters) blocking access to the first copper chest, so several of them will probably get to fight back; by contrast, the master giant that is alone in area 4 is probably dead to silver (or even copper) weapons before his first turn, even with Undying , and if he somehow survives he's too slow to catch the heroes (alternately, the heroes can grab the treasure in the room and leave without fighting him at all).

The flavor text for area 5 describes the door shutting behind the heroes, but there is no rules text to reflect this fact. Even if you wanted to include some, that doesn't work in Descent - the heroes are all still standing outside the room when it's revealed. And if the heroes happen to have found an AoE weapon by this point, the boss fight is probably over in less than a round (not that that's unusual for Descent).

Descent has no rules for finding potions in chests. Other fan-made quests that listed them resulted in a string of questions on the forums about whether that's X potions per hero or X total, so you should either change that chest entry or specify.

The spelling is bad enough to be distracting.

Sorry about the bad spelling, I was kind of high on my own supply when writing the quest and got carried away With myself. There are enough x sections in the base game to cover quest and with the skeletons I expect that most of them will get killed and therefore be able to replace. Your right about the encounter markers and I'll change that. The answer to the puzzle is that the combination is the same as the number of letters in the word eg- bow is 3 and sheild is 6, I was trying to keep in the vein of silent hillish kind of puzzles. The penalty for getting the combination wrong is that the heroes dont get to finish the quest. If the heros are in a possition where zombies block off the lock tto the red door than I take my hat off to the overlord and the heroes have no option but to kill a couple of the zombies.Also i'll cut back on the number of razor wings in the begining section and maybe place them with the giant to balance things out. Thanks for your feedback Antistone.

Leew said:

with the skeletons I expect that most of them will get killed and therefore be able to replace.

I wouldn't even comment if there were merely more skeletons in the entire quest than there are figures. I meant that there are more in a single area (specifically, area 2) than there are figures. They're all required at exactly the same instant; there is no possibility that some of them will be killed first.

The boss can also specifically summon skeletons to "max 8 in this room". But there are only 6 skeleton figures, so you can't have more than that in the entire dungeon.

Leew said:

The answer to the puzzle is that the combination is the same as the number of letters in the word eg- bow is 3 and sheild is 6, I was trying to keep in the vein of silent hillish kind of puzzles.

I've never played Silent Hill, but the text doesn't say that the statues feature the words "bow", "sword", and "dagger", just the objects - and there are potentially a lot of different words (with different numbers of letters) for those objects. For all the heroes know, the 5 could really correspond to "foil", "rapier", "gladius", etc.; the 6 could be "dirk", "knife", "stiletto", etc.

And I've personally never been fond of the "guess which of a million seemingly-trivial details I have arbitrarily based the entire solution on!" puzzles. IMO, good puzzles have solutions that are self-verifying - you know that your answer is right, without needing to ask the writer if the puzzle is really based on the number of letters in the name, or the number of monsters with that weapon that appear in a single room, or the number of ways it can be used to kill a marmoset, or the number of different skills required to create the tool exclusively using resources that occur naturally in the English countryside, or what-have-you.

Leew said:

The penalty for getting the combination wrong is that the heroes dont get to finish the quest.

One wrong guess and the heroes automatically lose the entire quest? That's rather harsh; I'd refuse to play a quest for that alone. And there's nothing remotely hinting at that anywhere in the current quest text. Heck, there's not even anything in there that says the door opens if you get it right .