The Hanging Gardens

By oreh, in Sid Meier's Civilization: The Board Game

Hi,

Great game, very additive. The game rules are a bit puzzling sometimes.

I have a question about the Hanging Gardens.

"Start of turn : Build a figure in the square containing the Hanging Gardens for free."

Does this mean : in the city square (one of the 8 outskirts), or just the square that is containing the Hanging Gardens wonder???

The last option seems less logical, because this wonder would only yield one great person (next turn the square is occupied).

This seems to give to liittle advantage...

Greetz,

Eroh

I do not believe you get a great person at all. I believe that you get an army figure.

Admje14 said:

I do not believe you get a great person at all. I believe that you get an army figure.

Or a scout.

But no, you can't get a great person from that (they are neither figures, nor are built).

Indeed, figure = army or scout.

Thanks a lot.

Due to this huge advantage for building cities and scouts quickly, I tend to learn Monarchy and obsoleting my opponent's Hanging Gardens ASAP.

Another question regarding "The Hanging Gardens"; if a scout creates a city at the Start of Turn phase, is it imediately available to be produced by the garden? Nothing I've read seems to prohibit this.

Acolyte Rivan said:

Another question regarding "The Hanging Gardens"; if a scout creates a city at the Start of Turn phase, is it imediately available to be produced by the garden? Nothing I've read seems to prohibit this.

You produce the figure on the hanging Garden tile at the start of turn phase. Now that tile is within the current city outskirts, so according to the rules when building a city, you are too close to build another city.

Maarek said:

Acolyte Rivan said:

You produce the figure on the hanging Garden tile at the start of turn phase. Now that tile is within the current city outskirts, so according to the rules when building a city, you are too close to build another city.

Ah but the question as I read it was is it OK to use a Scout to build a city, returning your scout to your stock then immediately use the Hanging Gardens to build said scout?

To which I'd say yes.

Nothing says about the order in which you should do actions in start of turn. So why not?