Android Art

By lambdaknight, in Android

So, I really enjoy the art work for Android. Does anyone know if there is some place where I can find hi-res versions of a lot of the art work so I can use them as desktop images or what have you? In particular, I'm looking for a hi-res version of the art on the box cover. Thanks!

Honestly I must say I am a bit disappointed by the art. I really lve the box cover, but that's it. The rest looks - to me - always slightly off-angled... almost non-euclidian geometry.

Mike said:

Honestly I must say I am a bit disappointed by the art. I really lve the box cover, but that's it. The rest looks - to me - always slightly off-angled... almost non-euclidian geometry.

Different strokes for different folks. I love the cover art, hate the game art. I think Mike nails it on the head for me: something is off - like they aren't drawn correctly.

My wife on the other hand mostly like the game art (except the semi-nude blow-ups in the rulebook) but can't stand the box art. Anyway...

This doesn't answer your question directly, but here are the credits in the rulebook for the different art components. Perhaps you can do some searches and see if they have home pages. From what I recall of the Android "behind the scenes" video, the box artist is the same one who did the character art for Tannhauser. the cover drawing is what set the tone for the rest of the work. I wish they had kept the cover artist for the rest of the character work. The vehicles and city scape look great as is.

Cover Art: Didier Poli

Character Art: Julie Dillon

Map Art: Stefan Morrell

Vehicle Art: Aaron Panagos

I actually love all the art. The art was one of the main reasons I gave this game a closer look when I first heard about it. Cosmic Encounter was the same way for me, I was seduced by pretty pictures.

Yeah, my roommate hates the art as well, and I tend to agree. If you want a really good example or the bad angles, take a look at "Vinnie the Strangler". Cover one side of his face, then switch to covering the other side. It looks like two completely different people. That seems to be the case with a number of characters, especially when they aren't looking directly at the viewer.

There were four different artists: Didier Poli did the cover, Julie Dillon did the character art, Stefan Morrell did the map, and Aaron Panagos did the vehicles.

The artist for the Characters had to intend to make them that way. You can tell she (I think she anyway) has skill and choose to make them look that way on purpose. I find the cover art more pleasing, but I think if I lived in the world of Andriod I might be a little screwed up too.

Syvanis

Geeze, i *love* the art! I'd be interested in posters or something of some of the characters.

I wonder if the artist is available to do portraits. I'd love to have an awesome portrait of myself in New Angeles.

:)

Syvanis said:

The artist for the Characters had to intend to make them that way. You can tell she (I think she anyway) has skill and choose to make them look that way on purpose. I find the cover art more pleasing, but I think if I lived in the world of Andriod I might be a little screwed up too.

Syvanis

I am curious to know why you think they had to be drawn that way? I admit the artist has talent but some of the portraits just don't have the right perspective. I can't think of any reason why this would have to be.

ColtsFan76 said:

Syvanis said:

Syvanis

I am curious to know why you think they had to be drawn that way? I admit the artist has talent but some of the portraits just don't have the right perspective. I can't think of any reason why this would have to be.

Probably just a style choice. I really don't think there is any deeper reason than that. I enjoy the portraits, but art is entirely subjective so I can certainly see why other posters are put off by this style.

I can remember descriptions in noir novels of some very odd-looking people: "A loose-skinned man" or "thin, nimble lips." So unrealistic looks can fit the genre pretty well.

I thought the suspect with the long hair (Forgot his name), looks really androgenous, so his left side chest actually looks well-endowed. :P

Art ceased to be figurative and "non-euclidian" in 19th century circa...

Ok, you can dislike it... but a portrait has to be expressive not realistic. This is not a "euclidian" game!

This is the artist way to interpret PG and NPG psychology. (...mmh sorry bad english...)

Jason Strange said:

Art ceased to be figurative and "non-euclidian" in 19th century circa...

Ok, you can dislike it... but a portrait has to be expressive not realistic. This is not a "euclidian" game!

This is the artist way to interpret PG and NPG psychology. (...mmh sorry bad english...)

I agree, I always got the impression that the art told a story in and of itself. Through each characters depiction you get a clear idea of their motives, general outlook, etc.

Ultimately I think it was donde on purpose, and I love it.

Personally, the artwork is incredible. The marketing is incredible. The layout is incredible.

Crap, the whole **** experience is freakin amazing for a boardgame! i'm with the OP - I'd LOVE to get some hi-rez backgrounds for the PC.

Well friggin' done on the design - as a designer myself, this is a really top notch piece of work. I can see how some would find the artwork unsettling, but I personally LOVE the fact that it's a little off.

ColtsFan76 said:

Syvanis said:

Syvanis

Perhaps to show the duality of the suspect/characters? Since the game is abstract in the way guilt and innocence/light and dark are handled it may have been deliberate to have them look two different ways.

As ColtFan stated, Julie Dillon did the character art. According to her website, ( http://www.jdillon.net ), she has done work for WotC and Paizo Publishing among others.

I remember when watching the "Making of Android" video, Zoe Robinson, the art director for this game, said she was a big fan of Julie's and really pushed hard to get her involved. I don't remember if she said that Julie had done work on previous FFG games or if was simply from her other work.

When it came to the character design, my initial feelings were mixed. At first I thought I liked it, but then the odd angles bothered me. Her work definitely shares a common characteristic. Ultimately though, I really like the style she chose for Android.