game speed and deck size

By Thundergod2, in Warhammer Invasion Deck Building

How many turns do you see as typical in WH:I? Is decking an opponent a valid tactic? it seems every major deck is built to be around 50 cards, but that seems like they could be vulnerable to a quick draw down. I'm still newby as newby can be, so not familier with all the cards- insight would be helpful.

Cheers,

I've played hundreds of W:I games (I've been playing for a year) and decking happened only a couple of times. Nobody in our group uses decking as a main objective though, these happened because the games drag for too long. Our decks are usually 50 cards (3x of every card, shared pool).
From our experience, the number of turns per game varies greatly depending on the match up. Games involving Desctruction are usually faster (averaging 4 to 8 turns), games involving Order vs Order can last a little longer (7 to 11 turns).

Drawing too many cards is pretty much a non-issue, and the decks that do have massive draw also have the ability to cut their draw off for the most part if it came to that (dwarves/DE). Trying to deck people is non-viable at this point in my opinion. Although I have been able to beat several racial deck archetypes with an infiltation deck, its been like 1 win to 4 losses, so yeah, not super effective.

Game length is relative to deck types, but I'd agree with Gerson, order games tend to be longer than destruction ones.

I don't know. I'm having some good luck with the following Dark Elf discard deck.

http://deckbox.org/sets/19683

The notes section explains how it works. Enjoy.

-Wraith428

nifty, i like it, you filled in the blanks for what i had in mind.

Cheers

I had quite success with an empire discard deck. Wilhelm, Forced March, Infiltrate, A Noble Quest, Peasant Militia, Free Company and Dark Abyss were the important cards for doing that. You have to keep control of your opponents resources with Burn it Down/Demolition or Forced March if he plays something into Kingdom and keep some eye on his battlefield. As long as you can establish a good amount of tokens on your Infiltrate quest and move everything your opponent has into Questzone you win quite fast. A less riskier way would be to play the Infiltrate tactic (opponent only draws 1 card) but this way it's quicker because after 4-5 turns your opponent draws around 6-10 cards.

I've already posted a very potent Mill Deck in these same forums. Works better than most of the ones I've seen used. ;) Feel free to try it out. Try to get past all the whiny schlock that DDM5581 posted in the thread and just enjoy the deck. It's interesting how much more enjoyable these forums are without Captain Arrogant around...

;)

Wraith428, your deck looks really sweet and it has a ton of impressive synergies. Well done, sir!