How to resolve a tie while bidding for Conan

By Saramund, in Age of Conan

I have found that the english rules states that in case of a tie, you have to count the number of adventure tokens, and if there is still a tie, you have to look at the home province nearer to Conan figure.

And that's not correct. You have to see which home is nearer to Conan destination marker. This errata is coming from one of the designers.

That makes a difference only on turn 1, when Conan and his destination marker are in dfferent locations. During gameplay, you move Conan to his destination anyway, before bidding for him.

I kind of like the rules as they were writen in English. It makes sense that the player who's Kingdom is closest to Conan wins the tie because they have more influence on the lands where Conan would be at.

If you go with Conan's home province (or the province in which he is during the bidding - which at the beginning of the game is closest to the purple and red players (forgot the kingdom names and am too lazy to look it up now). Which in turn would give purple and red an edge over yellow and green. Honestly, would you guys play a game that obviously favored some players over others for no apparent reason or without reimbursing the other players at some point in time?

It is quite possible (even if highly unlikely) that after all mentioned criteria for solving a tie there's still a tie:

• Both players played the same total amount in Strategy card value and bidding token value;
  • both players have the same amount of Adventure tokens,
  • both player kingdoms are the same distance from Conan's current location (and the location of his destination).

I have no idea what happens then...

What happens then? Here:

* Roll five dice and count the number of hits - the player with more hits gets the prize?

* Toss an Atlantean coin and see whether Cthulhu or Tentacles turns up?

* Pitch the players against each other in a pit fight and give the survivor the prize?

I recommend the first option. The third might also be rather entertaining.

ronsen_04 said:

If you go with Conan's home province (or the province in which he is during the bidding - which at the beginning of the game is closest to the purple and red players (forgot the kingdom names and am too lazy to look it up now). Which in turn would give purple and red an edge over yellow and green. Honestly, would you guys play a game that obviously favored some players over others for no apparent reason or without reimbursing the other players at some point in time?

It is quite possible (even if highly unlikely) that after all mentioned criteria for solving a tie there's still a tie:

• Both players played the same total amount in Strategy card value and bidding token value;
  • both players have the same amount of Adventure tokens,
  • both player kingdoms are the same distance from Conan's current location (and the location of his destination).

I have no idea what happens then...

I don't think the last point can happen. Conan's destination is determined by the adventure cards. I don't have my game in front of me right now, but I don't recall the destination ever being an equal number of regions between two or more kingdoms.

They needed a rule to deal with ties and this is it. It may not be fair, but that's no reason not to play the game. So yes, honestly, people would play a game that obviously favors one player over others.

In all the games of Conan I've played, it is very rare that a bidding tie was decided by Conan's location. It is usually decided by adventure tokens.

Why don't you just resolve the tie like Conan would? Cut the head off your opponent, and if it hits the floor, you gain control of conan. gui%C3%B1o.gif

Tsugo said:

In all the games of Conan I've played, it is very rare that a bidding tie was decided by Conan's location. It is usually decided by adventure tokens.

We were talking about the very beginning of the game where Conan always starts in the same province. As the game progresses, Conan will end up all over the board. And yes, then I can deal with the way the tie is broken.

If, however, we go with Conan's location (as opposed to Conan's destination) a tie at the very beginning of the game would be devastating to the balance of the game mechanics.