3 questions

By besinator, in Sid Meier's Civilization: The Board Game

I am curious about following things:

1. When you have writing technology researched, you are able to "cancel any action being performed by another player (may not cancel resource abilities)". Can someone clarify to me what everything an action can be?
  2. Should I increase battle hand size if my army figure is within one square of my city?
  3. Economic dial is adjusted immediately after coin is acquired/forfeit. My question is that, if I have for example 0 coins and have just researched civil service (adds 1 coin), should I reset trade wheel to 1?

And one another thing that came to my mind. If I move scout figure over tile with coin icon, can I add that coin immediately?

1. The writing technology card is supposed to say "cancel any city action." In other words, only the three that you are allowed on the quick reference sheet. Harvest a resource, produce a building, unit, figure, or wonder, or Devote the city to the arts. Only the green tech card for Writing was printed properly.

2.Nope. Army figures don't take part defensively in city battles. However, your city draws three extra cards on it's own. So most cities will defend with six cards (if you have them). And city walls will make your opponent play their unit first.

3. Nope. You would spend the trade needed for the tech, check to see where you need to reset your trade wheel, then gain all the benefits of the tech. So, for that purpose, the coin wouldn't make your reset level higher until the next turn.

4. Yes, a scout figure claims the a coin he is sitting on. Right away.

besinator said:

I am curious about following things:

1. When you have writing technology researched, you are able to "cancel any action being performed by another player (may not cancel resource abilities)". Can someone clarify to me what everything an action can be?
  2. Should I increase battle hand size if my army figure is within one square of my city?
  3. Economic dial is adjusted immediately after coin is acquired/forfeit. My question is that, if I have for example 0 coins and have just researched civil service (adds 1 coin), should I reset trade wheel to 1?

1. "Actions" are City Actions (e.g. produce a building/figure/unit, devote to the arts, etc)

2. I'm not sure if you mean your army or city is being attacked, but the answer to both is no. If your army is attacked, then you draw 3, +2 per additional army token. If your city is attacked you draw 6. That can be modified through things like Fundamentalism or Computers.

3. I would say no on that. You spend the trade first, and then get the tech second. You would be gaining the coin after the trade dial is already set to 0.

besinator said:

And one another thing that came to my mind. If I move scout figure over tile with coin icon, can I add that coin immediately?

No. They are gained at the Start of Turn phase.

"The player declares which of their cities the scout is “sending” the square to during the Start of Turn Phase , and all of the icons in that square ( including trade, production, culture, coins , and resources) are then considered to be in that city’s outskirts for the rest of the turn." Pg 26 (emphasis mine)