Dual power stories

By clangedinn, in Cosmic Encounter

My normal group plays with the old dual power rule and a secret power power rule where we hide one of our powers til we wisht ot use it.

Using merchant i ended up with about 25 cards in my hand by helping other defend, dropped a kicker x3 and my down power was virus. ended up taking a solo win in the game by attacking with like somewhere near 2050 or so it was wonderful.

Sorry its short but lets hear some stories.

This is an old story now, but will soon be possible again, thankfully.

Filth/Terrorist (Saboteur) attacks and wins. Allies land on different planets due to Filth, set off bomb traps, and the defender loses her powers on the very first encounter. Of course, Saboteur's trap tokens will make this situation more difficult to arrange, but I'm looking forward to playing him nonetheless.

Negator/Skeptic in the Eon version, before Negator was restricted to a list of actions that it could negate. As Skeptic, you say that you doubt your opponent can win. When your opponent says, "I double doubt you", as Negator you tell him not to say that, so he is forced to agree that you would win. On offense, you automatically gain the base (colony) without having to play a card. On defense, the offensive player ends his turn and you win the challenge (encounter) without having to play a card.

Negator/Seeker also worked well.

I'm really curious to see how fun or annoying a Locust/Claw combo would be...

Haven't played dual powers in a long time, so my references go back to Mayfair or Eon editions. There were some truly evil combos that could crop up. Some of them were eventually named 'off limits'.

Vacuum & Void. : Suck in your opponent's tokens, and eradicate them.

Vacuum & Warpish: All those extra tokens you pull in count for you.

Parasite & Filth : I get to ally on the offense, and (if win) get the planet all to myself.

Filth & Spiff: Crash land, and force an evacuation.

Vulch & Mesmer: Pick up used edicts (vulch) and use them as any edict I want (mesmer).

Macron & Ameoba: Just.......wrong.

Evil combos are the reason that, even to this day, our NUMBER ONE house rule, is the Reincarnator flare is permanently in the challenge deck (regardless if the alien is playing or not)