d.Forrest's Deathwatch Art

By Lord Dubu, in Fan Art

Brother Lethaniel

Brother Lethaniel

That's an image I could definitely imagine inside the actual Codex Astartes. I know there's an actual word for the illustrations found in religious books and manuscripts, but I can't remember it. Looks like that, though. Good job!

korvass said:

That's an image I could definitely imagine inside the actual Codex Astartes. I know there's an actual word for the illustrations found in religious books and manuscripts, but I can't remember it. Looks like that, though. Good job!

I suspect you're referring to Illumination, as in "Illuminated Manuscript"

With a little tweaking and some integration into the text you've got something there.

Nicely done, sir.

Love the art, Lord Dubu. I was wondering, would you be willing to take requests?

Thanks guys! I do appreciate the love. I like the idea of it feeling like an illuminated manuscript. Thanks that's so with the tone of the 40K universe.

Ad, I do from time to time sell commissions on ebay and etsy.

Lethaniel of the Dark Angels (pre-DeathWatch)

Lethaniel

The Mk. 6 helmet isn't done right, other than that I love the art, especially since it has a unique flair.

And I need immediate stats for that belt incenser trapping in the first pic! :)

Alex

ak-73 said:

The Mk. 6 helmet isn't done right, other than that I love the art, especially since it has a unique flair.

Alex

The helmet looks to me like some of the less-standard variations on older art and a few older minis.

Battybattybats said:

ak-73 said:

Alex

The helmet looks to me like some of the less-standard variations on older art and a few older minis.

It's an Mk VI Corvus Armour helmet, yes. I don't know, it seems a bit too high above the shoulders? Not sure, I am no artist, it's just that it did strike me as not looking properly at first impression.

It's just a minor point, overall the pic is just great.

Alex

ak-73 said:

It's an Mk VI Corvus Armour helmet, yes. I don't know, it seems a bit too high above the shoulders? Not sure, I am no artist, it's just that it did strike me as not looking properly at first impression.

It's just a minor point, overall the pic is just great.

Alex

I know it's a mark 6. I'm referring to the beak-to-helmet size and angle ratio being reminsicent of some of John Blaches versions. There was quite a lot of diversity on the original lead corvus miniatures as well as the artworks (positioning of the ventilation slits being one of the most obvious).

As for problems with the positioning of the helmet, it looks perhaps a smidge too far forward, the artist possibly being thrown off by the angle of the back of the helmet, where the angle was corrected (from the look of it) it though off the look of the neck angle. Also the lighting is different on the helmet which is quite light and without shadow compared to the torso which while possibly intended to indicate a diffrent paint colour on the helmet emphasises the apparent issues with positioning.

Not that i'm much of an artist, i dabbled years ago and did study it formally but haven't kept up with it. I doubt i could do better than the artist.

It's nothing to debate much about, the illustration is great, it's a just a minor detail that struck me.

Alex

WolfCommision500.jpg

DeathWatch - SpaceWolf - Assault Marine

nice work.. are you planning to add more color ?