Character packs, how did they work for you?

By thewm, in Runebound

Just wondering if anyone has used the character packs yet. I have them but we haven't used them.

Did they add much time to the game?

How long was the learning curve?

Do you still use them?

I really do like the idea of the character packs but there are some problems.

They really make the game longer and it's hard to keep track and play them in a timely manor.

I thought it was really cool that you could customize your deck using cards from all decks but then you need doubles or 4 of every deck so that each player can do this as well.

My play group didn't like them so we only ever used them once. I'd be willing to try again but it's not all up to me. sad.gif

You have them so try it out and let us know how it worked out for you.

I bought four of them but still haven't played with them yet. I usually have new players every time we play so I'm to busy teaching the basic game to add in the extra complexity of the class decks. They seem cool enough. From what I can tell they add new abilities for your character and ways to screw with the other players. On the down side I suspect they would add even more time onto an already long game.

I don't like them. I think they clutter up a smooth game with unneeded complexity, slow down what can already be a painfully slow game and try to turn basically a racing game into something more player vs player, which I'm not looking for in Runebound. They've been a big waste of money for me personally.