Investigators Working with Mythos?!

By mi-go hunter, in Call of Cthulhu LCG

Hey everyone, I'm a new player to Call of Cthulhu LCG. I've already played a few games and I enjoy it immensely. However, one rule still bothers me. You can combine an Ancient One faction with an investigator faction? This strikes me as thematically faulty. Sure, heroic and villainous don't mix, but it's still strange to see a byakhee working side by side with Malone! How often do people mix them together, and should I do so? Is it strategically better?

Come on, investigators are unknowing pawns of the Ancient Ones at first. Then, after the truth is revealed, they are either too deeply into it, too scared to try and get out, or just not all their marbles left gran_risa.gif .

Dam said:

Come on, investigators are unknowing pawns of the Ancient Ones at first. Then, after the truth is revealed, they are either too deeply into it, too scared to try and get out, or just not all their marbles left gran_risa.gif .

Well......... I guess I can accept that explanation. After all, many of HPL's stories involve the protagonists being possessed by some evil force or the Ancient Ones themselves (Charles Dexter Ward, The Whisperer in the Darkness, etc.) In practical terms however, is it better to mix a mythos faction and an investigator faction to create a deck?

Who says the investigators even know that the Mythos is there working towards similar schemes. Just because you the player have them together in your deck doesn't mean they know "in game".

The_Big_Show said:

Who says the investigators even know that the Mythos is there working towards similar schemes. Just because you the player have them together in your deck doesn't mean they know "in game".

This sounds like an accurate analysis of what the domain cards represent. You are forging secret ties between factions that would not otherwise work together, in order to achieve an end that each will (perhaps) benefit from. That investigator and the byakhee encounter each other during a story, each eager to end the other's existence, but neither wants to see Cthulhu's cultists awaken the Great Old One from its slumber. So they put aside their bloodlust long enough to see their common foes put to rest.

In my opinion this web of shifting alliances is what makes the game most appealing. In a Lovecraft-themed game, you should never be 100% sure of whom you can trust. You may be playing the Agency, but your opponent may be playing them as well. But perhaps they are playing you both...