Parts Storage....

By TraderMI, in Sid Meier's Civilization: The Board Game

I have quite a few FFG games, with the last purchase being Sid's CIV. I really enjoy FFG's games, but I must say that it's about time that they design a better storage compartment or at least include SOME extra bags (as does GMT) to store the parts after they are punched.

I was at a game day fair yesterday, and I was going to teach CIV to 4 players using my friends unpunched copy of the game. I had to leave right after the explanation so I couldn't use my punched and "bagged" copy. When we opened the box, and saw that the game was unpunched, and that there was only ONE spare bag for about 200 (estimate) parts, we put it away and they didn't play. They didn't want to throw the parts willy-nilly into the large bags the boards are in at the end of the game. It would have been chaos to re-bag the game afterwards.

So how about it FFG? You design great games; designing a storage tray can't be that difficult. :-)

Thanks for your time.....

there are plenty of options. you can either use plastic bags in different sizes or hardplastic boxes (then ones for nails and screws for example)

I know there are plenty of options, and thank you for suggesting them. I used about 10 or more GMT bags to store all the parts of CIV. The key to the last sentence is "GMT bags". The bags were INCLUDED with all GMT games. I'm asking FFG to find a more suitable storage solution than they now offer. I don't want to sound like a cheap-o here, but having to go to another store to get Plano boxes or plastic bags at additional expense, is a pain. Just my 2 cents. A storage container built into the box can't cost THAT much more or that difficult to design?

i see. a fitting storage would be amazing. however is the logistics behind it most likely a problem :(

I agree with Ruffler, personally... It wouldn't cost much to include enough little ziploc-type bags to store all the bits once they were punched. I'd be willing to spend the extra 10 cents on the game, wouldn't you?

Plastic bags... would be a complete and utter waste of time zipping and unzipping. More trouble than they would be worth.

Wal-Mart (or an office supply store) has a small plastic storage that fits perfectly in the bottom of the box with room on the side for the cards and civilization counter. Costs around $5.

You can buy a pack of those small bags for $2-3 at a crafts store like Michael's or Jo-Ann's.

To each his/her own preference re plastic bags. The nuissance for me was realizing after opening the box, seeing the load of bits (which is fine) but then having to supply bags from OTHER games, or just dump all the contents into the box, willy-nilly. Talk about "nuissance" setting up the next game if all bits are just dumped into the box.. Plano boxes are fine, so FFG charge me $5.00 extra but INCLUDE one in the game box.

Just remember that if FFG includes a $3-5 parts box, they will also have to punch out the pieces instead of giving you the token sheets. Punching the tokens will likely in itself add more to the cost. If it was to be a very insignificant cost, wouldn't FFG have been doing that already? When I have seen other "insignificant costs" (i.e. the first attempt at Arkham's pre-painted minis) the whining and complaining over a few bucks here or there threatened to doom entire product lines...

But FFG, if it would just add $5 bucks to the game price for pre-punched, pre-sorted, and pre-stored pieces, I echo the others on the board, please make it happen!!!

Ok, I'll put this horse back in the barn. I have a decent game collection; Euros from many companies, wargames, etc. Many of them provide convenient storage "in the box". Have you only bought your games from FFG? FFG makes terrific , hi-quality games, but with inefficient storage. A better "in the box" storage solution is all I ask. If it can't be done, so be it.

Thanks to all that have given their opinions.

Bags are a pain, go to a dollar store pick up storage boxes of your choice. It reduces set up time, playing time and eased 99 percent of all my game related frustrations. I remember on the old Eagle games Civ I had like a box full of bags that still didn't feel organized or quick.

Ruffler said:

Ok, I'll put this horse back in the barn. I have a decent game collection; Euros from many companies, wargames, etc. Many of them provide convenient storage "in the box". Have you only bought your games from FFG? FFG makes terrific , hi-quality games, but with inefficient storage. A better "in the box" storage solution is all I ask. If it can't be done, so be it.

Thanks to all that have given their opinions.

I'll give you the inefficient storage. Another good example of that is Death Angel which tries to give you a card tray style separator, which does not help you at all storing the punched out tokens.

My storage.

The game came w/ small bags, those will be use for the Cards. You can add bags to separate the tech cards if you want.

Plano boxes (best storage equipment made):

1 - 3500 - This is used for all the market tiles, wonder tokens, and anything left over. I was able to fit the initial setup cards. You can use the great person tiles as additional separators for the market pieces keeping all of those items organized.

2 - 3449 - These are used for the coins, culture, battle, resources, and village/hut markers. The last box is used to separate the player items, such as scouts, armies, cities, and unit upgrade markers. The last location is for the Russian army and the culture icons.

This allows you to keep the tokens organized and not lose any. To speed up the setup of the game, you can get small bags to separate the tech cards or find a deeper plano box. If you have a number for a deeper box that fits, let me know. I would like to use boxes and not any bags.