Spell Usage in the Inner Region/Crown of Command

By Tomoka, in Talisman Rules Questions

Hey Forum,

So I'm a major fan of Talisman games ever since the I snagged a copy of the 2nd/3rd editions back in the day. But I had a few questions that I can't help but ask to clarify. I've played a few games recently where my friends and I argue the usage of spells in the Inner Region/Crown of Command Space during battles with any of the alternative ending cards (Ice Queen, Demon Lord, etc.) and when spells can be cast when traversing the area.

Questions are:

1. Is it possible to use spells during another player's turn when he/she is attacking a final ending character? (i.e. = Ice Queen)

Ex: I was attacking the queen and somebody cast Life Tap on me causing me to instantly die (with my one life already) before I could even fight her.

2. Is it possible to cast spells during other final ending cards such as the Hand of Doom?

Ex: Friend cast Misfortune causing an instant loss to everyone during my turn when I was the one rolling for the ending.

And finally, 3. Is it possible to use spells on characters OTHER than the encounter spaces listed in the instruction book during either your own turn or another player's turn? (Plain of Peril, Valley of Fire)

Any help would be fantastic! Thanks guys.

Tomoka said:

1) Can a character cast a Spell on another character who is about to engage the Demon Lord, Eagle King, or Ice Queen in battle or psychic combat?

2) Can a character cast a Spell on another character who is about to encounter the Hand of Doom?

3) Can a character cast a Spell on another character who is on any space in the Inner Region?

The answer to all 3 questions is yes, just as long as you meet the specific requirements of each Spell Card (Region and timing restrictions)!

Ell.

Also can you use the 'swap place with another valid character' if I am in the Inner region and someone is on the crown of command?

If this is the case this makes it very easy for a magic user to get to the crown without doing much.

Yes you can cast Transference in the Inner Region and swap spaces with a character on the Crown (if he is on the Valley of Fire you must have a Talisman when swapping spaces with him)!

Ell.

talismanamsilat said:

Yes you can cast Transference in the Inner Region and swap spaces with a character on the Crown (if he is on the Valley of Fire you must have a Talisman when swapping spaces with him)!

Ell.

This is what makes talisman such a great game gran_risa.gif For one second you´re about to win, and in the next you are back to square one

Regards.

Just wanted to be sure on this as it has been debated a bit at our table.

Aside from the mandatory casting of the Command Spell in the Crown of Command, a character may perform any and all other actions, including the casting of spells, correct?

I did post this under the recent news on the FAQ available, but the FAQ did not specifically address this. Veterans?

Why do you have to have in your possession a Talisman to do the swapping?

For example, in "The Dungeon" Expansion they explain in the rules that once you get to the Treasure Chamber and being teleported to the crown of command you don't need a Talisman.

Swapping means being teleported to the Crown of Command and replacing the other character. So isn't it the same situation?

TiMBa said:

Why do you have to have in your possession a Talisman to do the swapping?

For example, in "The Dungeon" Expansion they explain in the rules that once you get to the Treasure Chamber and being teleported to the crown of command you don't need a Talisman.

Swapping means being teleported to the Crown of Command and replacing the other character. So isn't it the same situation?

You would only need a Talisman if you were swapping places with a player on the Valley of Fire!

Ell.

On 12/29/2010 at 6:42 AM, Tomoka said:

Ex: Friend cast Misfortune causing an instant loss to everyone during my turn when I was the one rolling for the ending.

Here are the instructions of this ending card :

"A character on the Crown of Command must roll 1 die for the Hand of Doom during each of his turns:
1) All characters are killed, – all players lose the game.
2-3) Lose 1 life.
4-5) Choose one character; that character is killed. If all other characters are killed, you win the game!
6) All other characters are killed – you win the game!"
So can a Salty Low buffed Wizard Player in the middle region cast the spell "Misfortune" on that roll to make everybody die easily ?
Misfortune Spell : "Cast on any character who is about to roll a die. That die automatically rolls a “1” result and cannot be rerolled."
At first thougt Yes ! because life is hard and people are Salty and some evil creatures prefer everybody to die instead of having 1 winner after a 8h long game...BUT !
The End Of Doom card specifies that : "A character on the Crown of Command must roll 1 die FOR the Hand of Doom each of his turn" and not simply "A character on the Crown of Command must roll 1 die each of his turn." It's basicaly NOT the Character's roll BUT the Hand of Doom's roll ( rolled by a character like when a friend of you rolls for an ennemy's attack )
Just because ...you know cards can't roll dices on the table themself...yet)
page 18 of the rulebook say :
"None of the creatures in the Inner Region can be affected by any Spell, nor may they be evaded."
Therefore, the wizard cannot (Can he ?) cast Misfortune on The Hand of Doom's roll which is more a Creature of the inner region than a Character !

What ya think ??

Yeah, you can cast Misfortune on a player about to roll on the Hand of Doom, I would do the same:)

If you can cast Misfortune on a player rolling for The Hand of Doom, you should also be able to cast misfortune on a player rolling for an Ennemy's attack roll and that's not possible!
I still don't agree with you after reading the ending card again !

"A character on the Crown of Command must roll 1 die for the Hand of Doom during each of his turns" is very different to "A character on the Crown of Command must roll 1 die during each of his turns"
Can someone very wise with Talisman rules knowing that :
None of the creatures in the Inner Region (nor any of the Alternative Ending Cards ) can be affected by any Spell
Thank you

http://www.talismanwiki.com/Hand_of_Doom

• ///Misfortune: Cast on any character who is about to roll a die. That die automatically rolls a “1” result and cannot be rerolled.///
  • hello guys !
  • Can I cast Misfortune on a player rolling "for" a Creature or Ennemy ?
  • Ex 1 : I fight an Ennemy Dragon , the dragon 's attack score is rolled by the character on my Left.
    Can I cast Misfortune on him to make the Dragon Roll a 1 to win the fight easily ?
  • Ex 2 : You are on the Crown of command, the endind card is "The Hand of Doom"
  • ///The Hand of Doom : A character on the Crown of Command must roll 1 die for the Hand of Doom during each of his turns:
  • 1) All characters are killed , – all players lose the game.
  • 2-3) Lose 1 life .
  • 4-5) Choose one character ; that character is killed . If all other characters are killed , you win the game!
  • 6) All other characters are killed – you win the game! ////
  • Can I cast misfortune on you to make you roll a 1 for The Hand of Doom ?
  • Ex 3 : I am in the inner region where I must "Dice with Death"
  • ///Dice with Death : Roll two dice for yourself and two dice for Death.
  • If the scores are equal: Dice with Death again on your next turn.
  • If your score is lower: Lose one life and Dice with Death again on your next turn.
  • If your score is higher: You may move on your next turn.///
    Can I cast Misfortune on Myself when I am rolling For the Death's score to make 1 dice result to a 1 ?

Let me remind you for exemples 2 and 3 that page 18 of the rulebook say :
    "None of the creatures in the Inner Region can be affected by any Spell, nor may they be evaded."
    For me, it's clearly a creature affected by a spell ! So it can't work

Let me remind you for exemples 2 and 3 that page 18 of the rulebook say :

For me, it's clearly a creature affected by a spell ! So it can't work.
Agreed!