Special Stark deck (standart)

By Rozy, in 4. AGoT Deck Construction

Hi, I have had troubles to build a competitive deck for a long time, I have tried only Stark and I never achieved a lot victroies so I finally made this deck after long time and I could use some good advice how to make it better.

Pls comment my deck and help me to make it a good one.

http://tzumainn.com/agot/decks/deck.php?current_deck_id=15739

Rozy said:

Hi, I have had troubles to build a competitive deck for a long time, I have tried only Stark and I never achieved a lot victroies so I finally made this deck after long time and I could use some good advice how to make it better.

It's not so easy to play Hang the traitors. With influence is it difficult and with the noble crests you let the opponent a lot of unoppsed. And you should keep the card on your hand, Stark is not the best Int. House. More effectiv is like warm rain, icy catapult araya executionors block. for killing and 2 Claim plots.

Prove one's worth looks in my oppinion better than the Plot is. Too much Resets around.

It's true, Hang The Traitors can be very hard to pull off. I love that it's there and it can be a back-breaker when you do it, but you have to plan around it a lot. I findmyself preferring the smaller point-kill available. Like Warm Rain is my top pick, and since you're pretty much all-Starked-up for this deck excepting a few locations and attachments, have you considered Bear Island?

I appreciate the responses guys, but telling me that it is a bad deck does not going to help me :)

With the Noble characters that are not-killable for most of the time I can keep 3 around almost all the time. With Eddard not kneeling you have from 3rd plot always one noble in Dominance standig and to keep eg. Sansa and Donella standing too is not a problem. With this deck I also had not much trouble to defend myself against intrique challanges. So I played it few time and it is lovely :)

About the Bear Island: I thought about it, but I would have to sacrifice a lot to play it. Crown Regent and Littlefinger (and I worked hard to get him).

Rozy said:

About the Bear Island: I thought about it, but I would have to sacrifice a lot to play it. Crown Regent and Littlefinger (and I worked hard to get him).

I find it interesting that you make these arguments against Bear Island, but use Empty the Vaults as a plot. You'd have to discard these same cards, as well as any events, from your hand at the beginning of Marshaling with that plot.

I do tend to agree that Hang the Traitors is probably not the best kill effect to be using. Your entire deck, and game, becomes all about pulling off the event card. Needing 3 of your 8 Nobles in play and standing in Dominance just doesn't seem particularly reliable. It's a great effect, but it seems to pigeon-hole the way you play the deck into making sure the Nobles you have out are standing and that you do not lose intrigue challenges.

If it were my deck, I'd be more comfortable if there was more influence so that I had some flexibility with the event. Perhaps find a way to fit in a couple of copies of Fallow Fields, or swap out Dragonstone (a resource choice that baffles me...) for The Weeping Water - the 2-influence will probably come in handier than the 1-gold/1-influence. I might also look at Dominance kill events like Guilty! or Kings and Queens that, while only killing one character instead of 4, do not potentially limit the choices I have to make during Challenges in order to play them.

The other thing I would suggest is thinking more about Challenge-based kill instead of Dominance. Your deck is pretty well positioned to use 5KE-Arya, although I do see the point of ITE-Arya for stealing Renown. With the "They Live!" thing going for you, it might be worth looking at a couple more Military Battle plots. With the unique/They Live! thing you have going, Defending the Fist holds no drawback for you if played at the right time. Extra MB plots would let you throw in a couple copies of The North (probably in place of Shadowblack Lane and one of your 2 copies of Snow Castle) for additional gold and Challenge-based kill. (Your copies of Power of Blood can be a help with The North if you find yourself on the losing side if your opponent has Military Battle plots of their own.)

Rozy said:

I appreciate the responses guys, but telling me that it is a bad deck does not going to help me :)

With the Noble characters that are not-killable for most of the time I can keep 3 around almost all the time. With Eddard not kneeling you have from 3rd plot always one noble in Dominance standig and to keep eg. Sansa and Donella standing too is not a problem. With this deck I also had not much trouble to defend myself against intrique challanges. So I played it few time and it is lovely :)

What you want to hear? That this deck is the ultimative Stark Deck and Hang the traitors is best kill event?

We have told you which kills are better in our minds. It also depends on the Meta. In our you would get problems, in the last tourney this weekend I have't seen a valar only Winterstorm as reset Plot. Sure Hang the The traitors can win games, but in my mind to kill key characters is better, because it's easier to handle.

The most important thing on a deck is, that you like it. If you like it play it and have fun.

Hey, if it's working for you, who am I to argue? I just personally can never keep three Nobles around that long. I always pack a lot of influence for the alternate casting option. It works out for me, because I sort of end up with a formula regarding influence.

The more effects you have that use influence, the more influence you put in.

The more influence you put in, the more uses you find for it.

The more uses you find for it, the more influence you put in.

I tend to end up putting a lot of influence resources in, but since I run so many cards that use it -- Arya 5KE, Warm Rain, Meera Reed (we still use Winter). Arya's Revenge (Okay, we use Winter a LOT), and so on-- it all works out.

I tried using Power Of Blood and They Live! in a deck, but I found that it still didn't work out for me. But hey, like I said -- if it's working for you, excellent. Winterfell!

The problem with relying on Nobles to use the effect is once your opponents figure out your dependence on them they will start hitting them with targeted removal. Stark has a serious lack of cancels and attachment hate, a smart player will neutralize your nobels pretty easily and pretty regualrly upon being the victim of Guilty a couple of times, and if the deck they have can't handle it, expect their next deck to. And while you may not being losing many intrgue challenges right now, the characters you named are not strong or numerous enough to stand up against a Lannister, Martell, or even Targ deck where the player has decided to use that as an avenue of attack against you.

The influence provides a different avenue by which you can use the card, which means it does not have to stay in your hand round after round while your opponent gets his intrigue base built up.

Ok thanks, I will try to put more influance in the deck, I just didnt wanted to use many neutral location but it seems that I would have to use the Fallow fields again :(

I wish I had a Weeping water, Reach or even Eyrie, just have to try harder to trade it :)

Btw, I try to run some cancel like Saltspear and Master Wyman, it just doesnt work for events, but keeps my chars relatively safe. I might also try to put few more direct kills, not just Hang the Traitors.

About the plot deck, I dont see what plot should I swich for more millitary battle plots or other, I wish I could have plot deck at least of 10 plots :)

Rozy said:

About the plot deck, I dont see what plot should I swich for more millitary battle plots or other, I wish I could have plot deck at least of 10 plots :)

Prove One's Worth is a closer plot. It is usually played when you're already winning to seal the deal. It could be replaced by something more utilitarian.

Empty the Vaults! would probably go if you start looking at more neutrals and events. If you're looking at putting in Fallow Fields and The North along with some of the Military Battle plots, you probably won't need the gold as much, anyway.

If you do move away from Hang the Traitors, you won't need to be quite as careful about keeping Nobles on the board so you probably wouldn't need 2 copies of Power of Blood.

Rozy said:

Left my comment on Tzumainn's.

Hope it helps!!!

ktom said:

If you do move away from Hang the Traitors, you won't need to be quite as careful about keeping Nobles on the board so you probably wouldn't need 2 copies of Power of Blood.

Heh, that is funny. I thouh I might build a deck around the HtT, but it seems not that good when everybody keeps discouraging me from it.

Rozy said:

You would build a "competitive Deck", Stark has better cards now. With Winter Block it was easier to have 6 Inf. (Roberts Deathbed and Red Keep)

You need your Noble Characters for Challanges and Hang tt is in Dominance. There are so many ways to discard Htt from your hand. For example Int., Varys, Reek, Confession, Ghost HH. This cards you will face quite often in Tourneys.