Runebound Character Cards for Descent Characters

By PASTORJK2, in Runebound

Does anyone know where I might be able to locate fan-made cards for Descent Characters that aren't in Runebound (i.e. Lord Hawthorne, Sir Valadir, Nanok of the Blade, Laurel of Bloodwood)?

Also, is there a place that I can download cards to print? I own all of the Descent expansions, and therefore, all of the character miniatures. I would like to have the cards to play Runebound with those characters, but do not want to purchase all of the big box expansions.

PastorJK said:

Does anyone know where I might be able to locate fan-made cards for Descent Characters that aren't in Runebound (i.e. Lord Hawthorne, Sir Valadir, Nanok of the Blade, Laurel of Bloodwood)?

There's a guy on BGG who has made fan versions of the heroes from Well of Darkness (the only Descent heroes thus far who don't have RB equivalents) Three of the four heroes you mention here are from WoD (Sir Valadir is from the RB base game, so I'm assuming his inclusion here was a mistake.) He's also made homebrewed hero cards for all the heroes on the box art that don't actually appear in the games, quite impressive body of work, I must say.

Thanks, Steve-O. Unfortunately, I cannot navigate BGG effectively enough to actually find what you were talking about. Would you be so kind as to add the url to my thread? I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

What about Tetherys, Runemaster Thorn and Brother Glyr? Have they now been put into RB?

pic159426.jpg

Judd (Warbringer25) made some for these a while ago, and I know of another project currently underway...

Judd's post on BGG is here -

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/422408/new-runebound-heroes_from-the-cover-art

For any that do not yet know, the six figures are available in FFG's Silver Line game Drakon if you want them without having to purchase Descent: Journey's in the Dark and the Well of Darkness expansion.

Now that holidays are over, I have my own versions of the six Descent characters mentioned in process. I went through 30 standard characters found in RB and DS for statistical analysis, though some fudging was necessary. Once I have some decent artwork for them, I will post them here for review. Should be within a couple days.

Here are my versions of the missing six. Don't have the time for posting them directly, so I've placed them in a DropBox Gallery . The link opens in a new window; select any image to enter the gallery view. All images are 300ppi suitable for print, and you can click the full size button once in gallery view to grab them.

Comments are welcome herein. Once I'm satisfied they are playable, I'll post them to BGG somewhere.

JC,

I really like your version of the Descent characters. Very cool. That said, I did make a whole bunch of new Runebound characters a while back and posted them on boardgamegeek. This includes the 6 Descent characters in addition to the other heroes from the Runebound box art. Fort those who want to compare, go to:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/422408/new-runebound-heroes_from-the-cover-art

Judd

Yeah, I saw yours, Judd. Some of them have even been played around my place. The ones I came up with were based on a notion tossed my way by Jon New, so I took a shot at it. Wasn't aware of yours until part way into that process. And comparatively, it's been a toss up in some cases as to which versions any of me and mine have liked better.

JC,

Having played CCG for years, I'm used to having multiple card variants for the same character. As such, I think I'm as excited about your new versions of the Descent characters as I was when I originally made my own versions. It just gives me a whole new set of heroes to play around with, and even better, I already have the miniatures painted up. Win, win. :)

Seeing your versions also got me inspired to finish up some of the work I did at converting the Cadwallon: City of Thieves heroes into Runeobound hero cards. The first three heroes have been submitted to the files section on boardgamegeek, and should hopefully get posted sometime late this week or early next week, depending upon how much things get slowed down for the holidays.

For those who worry about such things, it should be noted that the Cadwallon heroes aren't to scale with the Runebound heroes, but they are close enough that I wouldn't lose a lot of sleep over it.

Judd

Warbringer25 said:

... finish up some of the work I did at converting the Cadwallon: City of Thieves heroes into Runeobound hero cards.

Excellent, I'll check them out, though I don't play C:CoT. And I make standee tokens for all of our characters. We have no time or talent to paint minatures (and no money to pay someone to do), and the little grey horde is just too indistinct on the boards.

Warbringer25 said:

Having played CCG for years, I'm used to having multiple card variants for the same character. As such, I think I'm as excited about your new versions of the Descent characters as I was when I originally made my own versions. It just gives me a whole new set of heroes to play around with, and even better, I already have the miniatures painted up. Win, win. :)

Now you've gone and planted a seed. An idea of having multiple variants of each hero in a game. Maybe you pick your hero at random or maybe you choose, but even so there's one of three or four possible hero abilities you might end up with.

Curses! Such a juicy idea, but probably not something I'll ever get around to myself. These are times I wish I could pause everything else in the world just to get a bit more thinking in, you know?

CLICK TO DOWNLOAD THIS EXPANSION PACKAGE And here are the final versions of my separate attempt at the 6 Descent characters missing from RB. So far, Barb has become very selfish with the one shown here. She has this thing for being able to whack creatures dead in the first phase of combat... but then who doesn't.

You can drop by my blog for any additional information, visit its download page to grab them, OR... just click the image to the left to download the package from right here. The package will likely end up in the file section of BGG's RB page sometime soon as well.

NOTE: The original gallery of review versions linked in my previous post is now dead.

The package above has been update to include graphics for standees. Of course most will want figurines. For those who play Descent and have the Well of Darkness expansion, the 6 character figurines are in there. Jon New has also pointed out that same six characters on in the game Drakon... with the figurines as well.