Chemical Agents

By guest455987, in Fan Creations

I was responding to someone's post about a custom chemist investigator and came up with this idea for "Chemical Agents". Any ideas for more? I'm working on cards for "invisibility" and "explosive", but there could be several others. Presumably, there would be some kind of mechanic where any investigator could get hold of these, not just the chemist... But anyway, here's what I have so far:

Orville-Boyd-Front-Face.jpg

Toxin-Front-Face.jpg

Salve-Front-Face.jpg

Salve-Back-Face.jpg

Interesting idea. Could you imagine to to chemicals in the game without the investigator ?

amikezor said:

Interesting idea. Could you imagine to to chemicals in the game without the investigator ?

Yeah, I'm working on that...

excellent news ! gran_risa.gif

I'm still working on the integration rules for this, but here are all of the chemical agents I have so far. Still would like a few more...

Toxin-Back-Face.jpg Toxin-Front-Face.jpg Salve-Front-Face.jpg

Invisibility-Front-Face.jpg Hallucinogen-Front-Face.jpg Explosive-Front-Face.jpg

Also, I think I need another name for these than "chemical agents", as a chemical agent is specifically defined as something used for a debilitating effect (e.g. nerve gas, etc.). Some of these would fit that, but others, like Salve, wouldn't. Any ideas for what to call it? Chemical Discovery, maybe?

Duh... Chemical Items.

Toxin-Back-Face.jpg Toxin-Front-Face.jpg

Salve-Front-Face.jpg Invisibility-Front-Face.jpg

Hallucinogen-Front-Face.jpg Gas-Cloud-Front-Face.jpg

Explosive-Front-Face.jpg

Chemical Compound? Potion?

I don't know why I didn't think of this before... " Chemical Effect ". It's right in line with Magical Effects.

I'm still not sure about how to (or even if I should) incorporate these with any regular characters. I was thinking there could be some type of variant to the "Classes" at Administration, where any character could study chemistry (and possibly other specific subjects to gain other types of effects, which could be another whole thing). Perhaps you have to be at Administration and pay $1 and then put a Clue token on a "Chemistry" card. When there are 3 Clue tokens on that card, then you've graduated, or at least you've learned enough to use that skill, and you can start working on chemical experiments (as described in Orville's special ability). It would encourage some use of Administration, which often seems overlooked, otherwise. And I think some other character's might automatically gain the Chemistry ability to begin with, like Kate and... Finn? Amanda? Harvey? Vincent?

Another thought would be that you could just outright purchase these effects from either the Science Building or by some other means. So each Chemical Effect card would have 2 costs; a "Research Cost" which uses Clues and represents the experimentation process, per Orville's ability; and a "Purchase Cost", which anybody could make use of. The reason I don't like that method, though, is that I like how the refresh works, as if a chemist has to take the time and have the knowledge to be able to recreate the potion each time.

Another idea is that any character can gain chemical effects and use them, but they can only be refreshed by someone with the chemistry ability, or by visiting the Science Building. That seems a bit wonky, though.

So far I'm leaning toward the first method... So initially, only Orville and possibly Kate and a few others will have immediate access to chemical effects, but other characters might be able to gain that ability as well.

Alright, here's what I'm going with for now...

Chemistry-Front-Face.jpg

So it is harder now to successfully make progress on a Chemical Experiment (the checks are harder than before), but it doesn't cost you a Clue when you succeed (it comes from the supply). I didn't like the idea that Clues found in the game, which are supposed to be related to the investigation of the gates and Ancient One, would have some effect on how your chemical experiments go. But it's also not as likely that attempting an experiment will hurt you (only if both checks fail). And accordingly, Orville now starts with a Chemistry card and his ability gives him better odds of succeeding with experiments.

Orville-Boyd-Front-Face.jpg

Toxin-Front-Face.jpg Salve-Front-Face.jpg

Invisibility-Front-Face.jpg Hallucinogen-Front-Face.jpg

Gas-Cloud-Front-Face.jpg Explosive-Front-Face.jpg

Toxin-Back-Face.jpg

Still would like a few more Chemical Effects, though...

So if you do not start with a chemistry ability, you go to administration building, spend 3 turns there and then you need 2-3 more turns to build a chemical effect.

I suppose you did not choose science building because it is an unstable location, but what about library ? or what about turning it into a Task "Library, Science Building and finally Adminstration" (so your read, you practice and finally you have a diploma :-).

Anyway, that means you need at spend at least 5 turns to built the cheapest chemical. I am not sure how often investigators will do that. You could turn all chemicals effects into task (with 2-4 steps) from which few are placed on the board at the begining (as it was suggested for task in some variants).

Anyway, whatever you decide, the idea is great :-)

best

amikezor said:

So if you do not start with a chemistry ability, you go to administration building, spend 3 turns there and then you need 2-3 more turns to build a chemical effect.

I suppose you did not choose science building because it is an unstable location, but what about library ? or what about turning it into a Task "Library, Science Building and finally Adminstration" (so your read, you practice and finally you have a diploma :-).

Anyway, that means you need at spend at least 5 turns to built the cheapest chemical. I am not sure how often investigators will do that. You could turn all chemicals effects into task (with 2-4 steps) from which few are placed on the board at the begining (as it was suggested for task in some variants).

Anyway, whatever you decide, the idea is great :-)

best

I was thinking the same thing last night, that it might be too much work for what it is. A Task (or perhaps better yet a Mission) is a great idea. And I love the thematic connection of reading, practicing and getting a diploma. One thought is to make each of the effects stronger, so it's more worth doing to get them. I think they're all very good effects as they are, but debatable whether you'd want to spend that many turns of the game to try to get them.

Anyway, thanks a lot. I'm definitely going to go with a Task/Mission for that.

Okay, here's what I have now. I figure there would be 2 each of the Tasks and 3 of the Chemical Experiments cards (in case Orville is in the game). And maybe you'd draw the Task randomly and go for it, but you can also specifically go for it via the encounter at Administration. So that's 4 turns to get the diploma... so I think I do need to make each of the effects a little more spectacular. Or make them require only 1 or 2 successes for the experiments.

Chemical-Effect-Rules-Front-Face.jpg Chemistry-Study-Front-Face.jpg

Chemical-Experiments-Front-Face.jpg

I think 4 turns is very long. You could deliver the task at the library (one turn less), I'd say for free (like any other task) 3 turns is already a high price. Or you can change the order: subscribe first (Administration) the same turn you take the task, then read and then practice. That is 1 turn less as well.

I'd suggest that the chemical themselves could be done in 1 turn (even if you need pay several clues) with a single test (as for a tome). If too difficult, nobody will go for it (see how many time you go and pay 5$ for a spell this is only one turn lost). To limit the number of chemicals in a game (especially important if the lurker is in play since you can spend power tokens), you will need a mechanic. I am not sure what would be the best. Loose your diploma on a 1 seems like a first idea (as blessing).

Anyway, I will be away from keyboard until new year. So again, excellent idea.

Merry christmas and happy new year to everyone.

best

Yeah, I changed it now so that the Task only includes Library and Science Building and costs $2 instead of $3. I also reduced the Research Cost of all Chemical Effects by 1 Clue. Keep in mind, though, that the Research Cost doesn't mean that you spend your own Clues... The Chemical Experiments card states that when you are successful, you place a Clue token from the supply on a Chemical Effect. So it's not as expensive to get these as you may have thought. Anyway, this might be swinging the balance a little too much in the other direction, but I'll have to see how it goes when I test it out. I like that it takes time to research these things initially, though.

Here's a few new ideas for Chemical Effects...

Hyper-Nutrient-Front-Face.jpg Adrenaline-Front-Face.jpg

Anabolic-Steroid-Front-Face.jpg Lithium-Citrate-Front-Face.jpg