Necron Rules

By Aenir, in Deathwatch House Rules

I know one probably shouldn't run into necrons in a deathwatch game, but I felt that some quiet metal undead are exactly what the party needed. So here they are! :) (Suggestions always welcome)

Necron Trait: Can use We'll be back trait, Psychic Tests are at -10 within 30m, We'll Be Back is a test (with modifiers only for excessive damage, [Think Lascannon] on 1-25, they get back up, also, when within the range of a Res. Orb, the test increases from 1-33. When Resurrected, the Necron only has a fraction of their orig. wounds

Guass Characteristic: Adds Tearing to the Weapon (If it doesnt have it) and before you drop the lowest, you may also reroll the lowest damage dice, but MUST take the 2nd result, even if it is lower. In addition, on Righteous fury, AP is increased by d5 Necron Stats

Wargear, Weapons and misc:

Lord: WBB Wounds: 11*, Destroyer Body (Armor Equals Destroyer), gain +10 Str, +10 Toughness, Movement = Destroyer, and +5 Wounds [WBB = 15]. Staff of Light: Heavy Bolter Stats & no AV in CC. Orb Increases chance of WBB within 35m. Warscythe +20 Str ( 63 [12] ), no AV or Toughness in CC (No Ranged Attack)

Warrior: Guass Flayer = Bolter, WBB Wounds = 8*

Pariah: Guass Blaster = Storm Bolter (Built into Warscythe), Warscythe +20 STR (50 [10] ), no AV/Toughness in CC. Soulless: No Squad Mode (includes Mission Oaths), -20 to WP Tests within 50m. Psychic Abomination : Tests are at -20 instead of -10, Powers go up 1 Category. (Unfet-> Fet, Fet->Push, Push->+5 on Perils Table) WBB Wounds = 12*

Immortals: WBB Wounds = 12*, Guass Blaster: Storm Bolter

Flayed Ones: WBB Wounds = 10*, +10 to all stealth tests. Claws = 2x Attacks (Astartes Chainsword). At the end of each round of combat take a WP test, if failed, -10 WS that round.

Wraiths: WBB Wounds = 10*, Claws = 2x Attacks (Astartes Chainsword), Wraithflight: Cannot be slowed by Barricades/Defenses/Nature. -10 BS to shoot them. Phase Shift: After its attacks, may choose to disengage as a free action, moving half move (6) with no attacks against it, unless square moved to is adjacent to member of killteam or their allies. 2x Dodge/Parry

Destroyers: WBB Wounds = 12* Guass Cannon = Plasma Gun

Scarab Swarm: NO WBB, Claws = 2x Attack, Swarm: This target cannot be disengaged from in CC, Small Target : -10 to hit, (also applies to Hordes [Mag 30 is +20 to hit, instead of +30])

Tomb Spyder:

(TO BE CONTINUED)

Very nice, now to make sure to hide this from the players....

Looks reasonable, probably good for mid range ranks (4-6), if used in large numbers I take it?

Not sure if I like just copy/pasting imperial weapon stats for their weapons, I mean, I guess it helps match it to TT better, but I'm fairly sure in the artwork heavy gauss cannons or whatever are depicted as blasting through both sides of a land raider.

Overall, nice work, thanks for the contribution, my players will thank you.

Overall very nice, Personally I prefer the use of regeneration for we'll be back rather than inventing a new mechanic. and also the ability of gauss weapons says that before discarding your tearing die you may reroll your lowest die, presumably also your tearing die. in which case you may as well just roll 2 tearing dice? or is it meant to be that you can reroll your second lowest die and then discard 1 for tearing?

[edit] also i'd give them considerably more wounds (20 ish to match space marines, gene stealers etc and make all of them elite level enemies except scarabs which i think fit hordes perfectly :)

Nice job Aenir - of course if want the official rules for Wraiths and a Tomb Spyder (sorry, I mean Spectral Harbingers & Guardian of the Tomb) try "The Emperor Protects" gran_risa.gif

There is also a Gauss Flayer (hits as hard as a bolter but with a few nasty extras (like a 1d10 deducted from Toughness for instance if the hit get through armour and TB) and a Wraithblade (as Warp Weapon).

DW

Aenir said:

I know one probably shouldn't run into necrons in a deathwatch game, but I felt that some quiet metal undead are exactly what the party needed. So here they are! :) (Suggestions always welcome)

Necron Trait: Can use We'll be back trait, Psychic Tests are at -10 within 30m, We'll Be Back is a test (with modifiers only for excessive damage, [Think Lascannon] on 1-25, they get back up, also, when within the range of a Res. Orb, the test increases from 1-33. When Resurrected, the Necron only has a fraction of their orig. wounds

Guass Characteristic: Adds Tearing to the Weapon (If it doesnt have it) and before you the lowest, you may also reroll the lowest damage dice, but MUST take the 2nd result, even if it is lower. In addition, on Righteous fury, AP is increased by d5 Necron Stats

Wargear, Weapons and misc:

Lord: WBB Wounds: 11*, Destroyer Body (Armor Equals Destroyer), gain +10 Str, +10 Toughness, Movement = Destroyer, and +5 Wounds [WBB = 15]. Staff of Light: Heavy Bolter Stats & no AV in CC. Orb Increases chance of WBB within 35m. Warscythe +20 Str ( 63 [12] ), no AV or Toughness in CC (No Ranged Attack) 2 Fate Points

Warrior: Guass Flayer = Bolter, WBB Wounds = 8*

Pariah: Guass Blaster = Storm Bolter (Built into Warscythe), Warscythe +20 STR (50 [10] ), no AV/Toughness in CC. Soulless: No Squad Mode (includes Mission Oaths), -20 to WP Tests within 50m. Psychic Abomination : Tests are at -20 instead of -10, Powers go up 1 Category. (Unfet-> Fet, Fet->Push, Push->+5 on Perils Table) WBB Wounds = 12* 1 Fate Point

Immortals: WBB Wounds = 12*, Guass Blaster: Storm Bolter

Flayed Ones: WBB Wounds = 10*, +10 to all stealth tests. Claws = 2x Attacks (Astartes Chainsword). At the end of each round of combat take a WP test, if failed, -10 WS that round.

Wraiths: WBB Wounds = 10*, Claws = 2x Attacks (Astartes Chainsword), Wraithflight: Cannot be slowed by Barricades/Defenses/Nature. -10 BS to shoot them. Phase Shift: After its attacks, may choose to disengage as a free action, moving half move (6) with no attacks against it, unless square moved to is adjacent to member of killteam or their allies. 2x Dodge/Parry

Destroyers: WBB Wounds = 12* Guass Cannon = Plasma Gun

Scarab Swarm: NO WBB, Claws = 2x Attacks (Astartes Chainsword), Swarm: This target cannot be disengaged from in CC, Small Target : -10 to hit, (also applies to Hordes [Mag 30 is +20 to hit, instead of +30])

Tomb Spyder: Claws = 2x Attack ( Sacris Claymore ), or 1x Attack and Staff of Light (Heavy Bolter) Monsterous: No AV in CC. Artificer: on a roll of 1-15, (1x per turn, not in CC) Create a Scarab Swarm. WBB Wounds = 15*

Heavy Destroyer: WBB Wounds = 12* Heavy Guass Cannon = Lascannon

Monolith: AV 40 all around

Weapon, D5 Bolter Shells within 15m (no Clip/Reload) Flux Arc: Blast (3) (No Clip/Reload) Stats as a multimelta, (center of blast is 5d10, not 4d10), Living Metal : Righteous Fury cannot occur versus this target.

Ok everything Added!

Now to questions:

KommissarK, The Heavy Guass Cannon CAN blast through a land Raider, as its rolling 6d10+10 10 Pen, Plus Guass bonuses

Nark, Its written that way, so if you roll a 1 and a 2 on damage, you can Reroll the 1, and the 2 (unless the RR is also a 1), Enemy Level is up to you, Our game doesnt really pay attention to "level of enemies" I had them face tons o cultists, and Chaos Marines, in addition to a Slanneshi Terminator. I figured less wounds would be good as a balance point because they can get back up.

Traveller: I dont have that book, I just kinda wanted to roll up some Necrons and torment my party :D

i dont think the lord is tough enough most teams will kill him quick and i think a necron lord should be a major bad ass to take down

but otherwise really good

Thats actually kinda funny, discussing this with some of my players, they were worried about the fact that the Lord was too bad ass (especially with the Warscythe)

I'm not sure I agree with the Necron trait imposing that -10 penalty to psychic tests, as that strikes me as a very warp-based ability, which is generally anathema to the Necron race. It would certainly be appropriate on certain Necron types, especially the Flayed Ones, as they are (if memory serves) similar in effect to nulls and null-like combatants - one of the Temple Assassins comes to mind. Culexus? Callidus? I don't have my books in front of me...

Also, I'm not sure the Warscythe shouldn't allow toughness, but if you want that sort of angle, I don't think it would be unreasonable to give it the Felling quality. I'd also note in its description that it bypasses all possible wards, defenses, and fields, regardless of their origin.

Unusualsuspect said:

I'm not sure I agree with the Necron trait imposing that -10 penalty to psychic tests, as that strikes me as a very warp-based ability, which is generally anathema to the Necron race. It would certainly be appropriate on certain Necron types, especially the Flayed Ones, as they are (if memory serves) similar in effect to nulls and null-like combatants - one of the Temple Assassins comes to mind. Culexus? Callidus? I don't have my books in front of me...

I have to agree that the general run of the mill Necron shouldn't cause penalties to Psykers. After all, that the purpose of the Pariahs.

[QOUTE efidm=421221]

Also, I'm not sure the Warscythe shouldn't allow toughness, but if you want that sort of angle, I don't think it would be unreasonable to give it the Felling quality. I'd also note in its description that it bypasses all possible wards, defenses, and fields, regardless of their origin.

Also, the Warscythe is boosting strength by +20; but he's showing it's SB as adjusted to 12, instead of 10. Multiply base for Unnatural Strength and then add the +2 effective bonus from the equipment. I agree with giving it Felling instead of allowing it to ignore toughness in its entirety, though.

-=Brother Praetus=-

don't forget to make them suck at Close combat, and phase out after 2 rounds of combat, gota stay loyal to table top!

postalpatriot said:

don't forget to make them suck at Close combat, and phase out after 2 rounds of combat, gota stay loyal to table top!

The only tabletop DW is loyal to is the White Dwarf Movie Marines article, minus the stunt doubles. serio.gif Necrons are fairly badass in melee in the rare times they appear in novels/fluff...and even in the normal tabletop, the only thing that makes them bad at CC is a very low initiative/Agility. They're still MEQ's aside from that.

I am sure FFG will include Necron in later suppliments as I remember reading in the core book that the current timeline in Jericho Reach is before the Necrons even started to wake up and become active. I am certainly not in a rush to have my player's KTs meet up with Necrons.

Which brings up a curious thought. They mention Orks in the Core book but don't have any further info on them like stats and such.

Arkidda said:

I am sure FFG will include Necron in later suppliments as I remember reading in the core book that the current timeline in Jericho Reach is before the Necrons even started to wake up and become active.

It's mentioned in The Emperor Protects that the Necrons won't become a known active threat in the galaxy for another 80 years - the inclusion of rules for Wraiths and Tomb Spyders is there as an optional addition to the scenario, deliberately chosen because the "spectral" nature of the Wraiths and the massive pseudo-insectoid form of the Tomb Spyders makes them more difficult to conclusively identify as Necrons from an in-setting perspective.

I wouldn't expect the Necrons to have a particularly significant presence in the 40kRP-specific parts of setting.

80 years isn't much in the lifespan of a Space Marine, and there's little keeping the game from sliding up the timeline if they want Necrons.

N0-1_H3r3 said:

Arkidda said:

I am sure FFG will include Necron in later suppliments as I remember reading in the core book that the current timeline in Jericho Reach is before the Necrons even started to wake up and become active.

It's mentioned in The Emperor Protects that the Necrons won't become a known active threat in the galaxy for another 80 years - the inclusion of rules for Wraiths and Tomb Spyders is there as an optional addition to the scenario, deliberately chosen because the "spectral" nature of the Wraiths and the massive pseudo-insectoid form of the Tomb Spyders makes them more difficult to conclusively identify as Necrons from an in-setting perspective.

I wouldn't expect the Necrons to have a particularly significant presence in the 40kRP-specific parts of setting.

Yeah, you are right, it is mentioned in The Emperor Protects. I been reading sooo much of the DW books, I think everything is getting mixed together and thus, lose track of where I read something.

I would lile to see more rules on this. I have been playing around with how to stat them up.

I do agree that they should have regeneration instead of a bew mechanic and the Lord needs to be beefed up a littl ebit.

N0-1_H3r3 said:

In IA 10, the Executioners are mentioned as having been ambushed by a sizable Necron force before Sanctuary 101 (and the 'official' rise of the Necrons). The entry mentions that the after-action reports were some of the earliest info the Inquisition was able to obtain on the as-of-then unknown xenos. Unfortunately, I don't remember the date, but the Executioners High Chaplain SC was the leader of the force. So, I guess there is some precedent.

ddunkelmeister said:

In IA 10, the Executioners are mentioned as having been ambushed by a sizable Necron force before Sanctuary 101 (and the 'official' rise of the Necrons). The entry mentions that the after-action reports were some of the earliest info the Inquisition was able to obtain on the as-of-then unknown xenos. Unfortunately, I don't remember the date, but the Executioners High Chaplain SC was the leader of the force. So, I guess there is some precedent.

True; similarly, there are accounts of sightings of starships we now know to be of Necron design that pre-date the Sanctuary 101 incident...

...the point isn't that Necrons can't be encountered before 897.M41 (indeed, the fact that they're referred to in relatively minor ways in both Rogue Trader and Deathwatch is ample demonstration that they can be encountered before this time), but rather that the Sanctuary 101 incident represents a key point in the history of the Imperium where the Necrons are defined as a singular and specific threat on a scale sufficient to really pay attention. Any contact between Imperial forces and the Necrons prior to 897.M41 should (if you choose to stick with the official timeline, which obviously FFG are obliged to as licensees) leave an insignificant amount of evidence behind. Scattered, inconclusive reports are one thing... concrete evidence of direct Necron activity is another entirely.

My players work on the assumption that if I'm using Necrons, then I'm trying to wipe out the group, because that way the encounter leaves no witnesses to tell of it. There are, of course, other ways (the "ancient tomb complex from an extinct civilisation" approach in The Emperor Protects for example), but that's the one I've chosen.

So after you have made all these changes either way, can we see yor final product? theres alot of ideas that are really good, but since you ran it in game you should have a good idea of what works.

well, after gaming and playing with the necrons, I am worried with how it might port. My Killteam was 2 BT Tac Marines, 2 Tech Marines (DA and SW), 1 Librarian (SW), 1 Apoth (DA), So the Melee Necrons got slaughtered, (The Wraith did alright though) As for fixes, I would the damage on the Heavy Destroyers by a d10, to keep them from being overpowered.

I would like to hear how these guys fare for your games. And if you guys want to change something, lemme know, I wanna hear how you guys balance them for your KTs.

Just checking on out much play testing these rules got and what needs to be changed.

Necrons are in The Outer Reach