Movies

By Pour Le Merite, in Wings of War (WWI)

Anyone have tips about good movies as inspiration?

I have seen (and Reccomend):

Blue max (1966), movie about a german ace 1918, not bad but the book is so much better. A lot of Fokker DVII in it, most enemys fly SE5. There is also 2 DrI made for the movie, one is first flown by the red baron and then repainted and flown by Willy. To bad that they didn't use the right kind of engine for it...

Fly boy (2006?), American made movie about some guys that joins Lafayitte 1917. Good movie but the germans seems to fly DrI all of them, a little odd since only 2 Jastas got that many and most germans flew Albatross at the time, only 320 was manufactured compare to thousands Albatross... Of course I know that the Red baron flew a Dr1 but only one month 1917 and the last 2 months of his life, he flew Roland and Albatross longer so that is really no good reason to have every german fly it.

And I am not counting the lousy Biggles movie here, anything with time travel is not right to list as inspiration, they should just have made a film about the first book instead, I loved it when I was a kid.

Wings - it is a silent movie but it is absolutely fantastic, and an Oscar winner to boot.

Thanks, are trying to find it.

I did found another nice one: The red baron (2008), german/english movie, am just about to watch it. :)

Unfortunatly, the newest movie.... The Red Baron isn't available in america... even though they filmed the movie in english...

Also, check out

The Dawn Patrol.

The red baron is in german, at least the one I saw at, it wasn't dubbed, it just had a english sub. But it isn't released in Sweden either, seems like it just can be found in Germany and Holland so far. I am not so sure it will be released somewhere else either, too bad because it is pretty good.

Someone with low morale would download it on pirate bay, or someone with high would order the DVD on the net, if you look around a bit you will find it.

It seems that most of the movies that are a bit older is very hard to find however, with the exception of Blue max.

The Blue Max is still hard to beat, and that was done before all of the fancy-smancy CGI stuff we have now a days! cool.gif

Ursula Andress...oooh-la-la corazon.gif gran_risa.gif

Blue max is a good movie but it is nowhere near the book, I mean how can they kill the hero like that when the movie only covers the first book? In the book it was the other way around and Stachel killed Heidenmann to get his wife, something I heard that Kaeti messed up for him in the second book...

The movie kinda not really pointing out that Stachel is a total drunk bastard. Ursula do her role great but there is a big difference between the the books 19 year old Stachel and the guy Peppard plays. Peppard is far to old for the part, the actors in The red baron is a lot more closer to the age of the real WW1 pilots. Oldest guy Manfred shot down was 27, most WW1 pilots were young kids.

They did a great job converting those Tiger moths to DVII, Pfalz DIII and SE5 and the airfighting scenes are really good but that movie could have been so much more, try to get the book, it is written by Jack D Hunter. I never read any of the other books about Stachel however, but you can find a list here of them: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_D._Hunter

I am not sure if Blue max is the best film, both The red baron and Fly boy have some great scenes too, if I hadn't read the book my opinion might not be the same but I would class them about as good. I like how they potrait the flying circus in The red baron, Voss, Udet, Wolffe and the rest are kinda the superstars of this era. :) If only The red baron had a little more flying in it, it would easily be the best.

There is a trailer that Peter Jackson made in a couple days. I'd love to see that as a movie:

Crossing the Line

Hell's angels, if you cqan find it.

A Howard Hughes production.

Money was no object.

He filmed it twice because just prior to release the Jazz Singer came out so he made it a talkie.

bakblast said:

Hell's angels, if you cqan find it.

A Howard Hughes production.

Money was no object.

He filmed it twice because just prior to release the Jazz Singer came out so he made it a talkie.

Thanks man, found it :D

How about "The Great Waldo Pepper"? Takes place after the war but there are some very good flight scenes in there.

There is also an older movies (70's I think) called Von Richtofen and Brown . As I recall, it had some pretty good scenes too.