Do characters switch sides when control changes?

By Arma virumque2, in 2. AGoT Rules Discussion

Hi Everyone,

So what does it really mean to "take control" of an opponent's character? Does the character physically switch over to my play area, where I can choose to use him/her as an attacker? Or does the character stay in its owner's play area, and I merely get control over triggered abilities, etc.?

This is one of those issues that seemed obvious the first time I read the rules, but the longer I visit these forums (and the more I read ktom's detailed explanations of some of the more subtle rules), the more I realize I ought to question all my assumptions!

(As always, if this was addressed in the printed rules or the FAQs somewhere, please just point me in the right direction. Thanks!)

When you take control of a character, you get to use it as if you had played it from your own hand or deck. And your opponent cannot use it for anything, just like they cannot use a character that you played from your own hand or deck. So it's attacking, defending, triggering abilities, everything.

Most people do move characters that they take control of over to their side of the table. It's not strictly necessary, but it does make things a lot easier.

Thank you. It's gratifying to know that the intuitive interpretation is also the right one. happy.gif