best choice for new gamer

By deathjester25, in Runebound

Hi I just recently got my girlfriend into playing board games. So far she has enjoyed memoir 44, pandemic, catle ravenloft, and last night on earth. Now i am looking for more advanced games. What would be a better next step kingsburg,talisman, arkham horror, or runebound. Back in the early 90s i played talisman and it was great but i cant help but think one of the newer games would be a better choice. If i go with runebound should i grab up the new essentials expansion too? Thanks

deathjester25 said:

Hi I just recently got my girlfriend into playing board games. So far she has enjoyed memoir 44, pandemic, catle ravenloft, and last night on earth. Now i am looking for more advanced games. What would be a better next step kingsburg,talisman, arkham horror, or runebound. Back in the early 90s i played talisman and it was great but i cant help but think one of the newer games would be a better choice. If i go with runebound should i grab up the new essentials expansion too? Thanks

As much as I love Talisman, I would in no way consider it a "more advanced game". It's roll and move at its core. Now, that doesn't mean Talisman sucks, it doesn't, it kicks ass cool.gif . But I would say you want 3+ players ideally for Talisman. I also own AH and RB, latter a recent addition. AH works nicely with 2 (playing 2+2 investigators for me). For RB, I bought Sands of Al-Kalim big box and four card expansions right away (yes, I have issues lengua.gif ): Champions of Kellos, Walkers of the Wild, Shadows of Margath and Traps and Terrors.

Check this link for info on all the card expansions and some of the big box expansions:

fortressat.com/index.php

I was mainly worried runebound and AH would be to long and complex. I always hear people saying it could take 5-6 hours to finnish a game. We normally have only 3-4 hours after the kids go to sleep to play. Does Runebound or AH really give you the "light" RPG feel. I still remember games of D&D from when i was a kid. I wanna teach her a game that could give lasting memories like that.

I'm on the speedier edge of AH gaming, but 2 player (each running 2 investigators) averages 2 hours for us. Runebound takes about that long as well I've noticed, slightly faster now that the learning games are behind us. I think Talisman, AH and RB all can give you the rpg-lite feel, though I don't really use AH in that capacity. Running multiple investigators (4 in solo games), there is no character attachment, I look at them as tools with which to beat the game.

Thanks alot. I think ill pick up runebound and AH. Worst case is if the AH learning curve is too much i can always play solo

I don't think the base game of AH is terribly long. Moreso if you're just learning, obviously, but once you know the game it's not too bad. Where things really start to bog down is with expansions in play. A lot of people over in the AH forum seem to enjoy playing with as many expansions as possible all at once. The game wasn't designed to be played that way (although FFG has since added some patch rules to facilitate it since they realized the fans weren't going to stop doing it.) Having more boards inplay means more ground for the investigators to cover, which naturally boosts play time. But you won't be there with just the base game (at least not yet =P) so it should be fine.

And once your kids are old enough to join in the fun, then AH will truly be a sight to behold!

Steve-O said:

Having more boards inplay means more ground for the investigators to cover, which naturally boosts play time. But you won't be there with just the base game (at least not yet =P) so it should be fine.

Actually found this to be the opposite, sorta. With more unstable locations, chances for doom tokens getting added go up, bringing the end closer. Base having only 11 unstable locations, no double-doomer and no gate bursts, there comes a point in the game where you're guaranteed that doom track filling won't wake the GOO and with the big four sealed, too many gates is out of the question as well. Rumors might still get you, but nothing else will. I've often said that with my combo I can expect to get 14 turns in which to seal 6 locations or the doom track is full. That 14 turns translates to about 90 minutes on average.

So with either of these games the expansions can just be used in any order? Runebound just has so many i dont know where to begin

For RB expansions, check the link in my first reply. It doesn't cover Frozen Waste or Mists of Zanaga, but helped me decided which expansions to get (having already decided Sands was the one I wanted from the big box ones, to the point I ordered it even before getting the base game sonrojado.gif ).

For AH, if you're not pressed for table/floor space, I'd suggest Dunwich Horror early, if not right away in the same order as AH. I barely got seven games out of base game before adding DH to the mix (it was sitting there, taunting me).

I second Dam's link to the RB expansion decision helper... it helped me a lot! I've only been at RB for less than a year, and after a month was itching for expansions. All (almost) of the smaller deck expanders for the base game are great, but that list helped me start out the right way. The only one I wrinkled my nose at was Traps & Terrors, but others have liked it more than I do.

deathjester25 said:

So with either of these games the expansions can just be used in any order? Runebound just has so many i dont know where to begin

Yes. All of FFG's game expansions are designed to require only the base game they are associated with, so there's no need to worry about "missing something." Some of them add on the base game (like all of AH's expansions) and others overwrite parts of the base game with new material (like the big box RB expansions, which each have a map intended to replace the base game map.)

A lot of people around here end up getting everything for the games they own, but in theory you can pick and choose what you like and leave what you don't. ;)

If you pick up RB and like it I highly recommend getting the essentials box.

As for a game like your childhood memories of DnD, I think Runebound is a good way to simulate that. Sorta.

Runebound is like an entire DnD campaign played out in one session. Every couple of turns could be the equivalent of a single session of DnD. Depending on how much you get into your character and what exactly you enjoyed about DnD you may be able to rekindle some of those childhood feelings. If exploring, watching your character grow, and fighting monsters was a big thrill for you then Runebound is for you. If the Roleplaying aspects of DnD were what you liked then this is not the game for you. The roleplaying in Runebound is a very personal thing. There is no in character player interaction with each other, or in character player interaction with the world either. Usually your options are to fight or run away so there isn't a lot of room for the creative solutions to problems available in most RPGs. The event and encounter cards add more story to the game but even these usually come down to combat or skill tests no actual roleplaying.

Thanks for all your help. I think ill get essential when i get the base game. I wanted dungeonquest too so ill order that with it since it kinda adds onto RB.