FAQ: Withdraw

By Dunwich Horror, in Battles of Westeros

Hi, we just played a game with the optional "Withdraw" rule and encountered a situation which felt weird (or at least gamey).

I was attacking a Stark infantry unit with a Lannister cavalry and was planning to flank them afterwards with a Lannister infantry unit. Since the Stark unit wasn't engaged yet and active, and would have been flanked afterwards by the other unit, the owner decided to withdraw his unit.

The FAQ states that a unit must be withdrawn to one of the two hexes towards your own board edge, but one of the two hexes was already occupied by another Stark unit, so there was only one hex left where he could withdraw his unit to. Unfortunately, this meant that his withdrawing unit was still adjacent to the attacking unit - and we had the impression that this wasn't a true withdraw because (theoretically) my attacker was still adjacent and could still attack his fleeing men.

The rules don't state whether a withdrawing unit has to conduct a withdraw in a manner that they are not adjacent to the attacker afterwards, theoretically, they could withdraw and still remain adjacent to the attacker (which wouldn't be a withdrawal at all, only a kind of position change...).

We solved this question by modifying the rule, so that after a withdrawal, the withdrawing unit musn't be adjacent to the attacker any more. If the only possible hex is blocked by other units, too bad for him - he should have left a withdraw corridor in the first place.

Is there an official ruling about what to do if the only hex where a unit could withdraw into would leave it still adjacent to the attacker?

Thank you!

I agree with what you did. Seems a sound rule.

Yepppp..sounds great