games end with too many cards in play

By JayDe, in Call of Cthulhu LCG

Does anyone else find that by the end of the game, Shub Nigguruth / Mi Go end up having 15 - 25 characters in play and as the agency/miskatonic i was getting up there myself. I find this is a regular occurance and it makes the games zero fun when tactics are gone and everything is brute force.

I know some story cards come up that may assist, but not very often and even then players hardly use them.

:(

JayDe said:

Does anyone else find that by the end of the game, Shub Nigguruth / Mi Go end up having 15 - 25 characters in play and as the agency/miskatonic i was getting up there myself.

I've never seen a similar problem with a Mi-Go deck, though.

JayDe said:

Does anyone else find that by the end of the game, Shub Nigguruth / Mi Go end up having 15 - 25 characters in play and as the agency/miskatonic i was getting up there myself. I find this is a regular occurance and it makes the games zero fun when tactics are gone and everything is brute force.

I know some story cards come up that may assist, but not very often and even then players hardly use them.

:(

I tend to find the same thing happens. Among those of us who play it here, it's common to find a dozen or so characters in play at least. Oddly enough when I've seen some vids on Youtube of games (teaching vids mainly) they seem to have 5 or 6 characters per side. I really can't fathom it out why we end up with so many in play.

Does no one else find that they end up with silly numbers of characters in play?

In fact here is a good example. I appreciate that this is probably more of a training demo than anything but in pretty much every game I;ve played of CoC even going back to the CCG days, there are always 2-3 times the numbers of characters in play than this.

www.youtube.com/watch

I've been trying to get a deck that uses Norm Grabowski for the win, but I almost never get 11 characters out at once.

The_Big_Show said:

Does no one else find that they end up with silly numbers of characters in play?

The "Ravager-stalemate" I mentioned above was at least partially caused by decks that were semi-random, i.e. _not_ well-designed. Otherwise, they'd have included cards to deal with the Ravager.

The whole point of playing a swarm deck is to be able to churn out bodies to replace the ones who are being wounded/destroyed. If you're not destroying your Shub opponent's people, expect to see a lot of them by the end of the game.

All my games seem to end up with my opponents having 14 characters and me having 2 if I'm lucky. I think this may have more to do with my playing ability more than anything else.

The_Big_Show: I think that the reason our games end up being massive dude parties comes down to a combination of our local meta and the card pool. We all seem to love cheap little dudes and none of us play really dedicated wounding decks as a means for slowing down the rush - we all tend to try and out-swarm the other guy. Also, I can only think of two mass-destroy cards (off the top of my head, I'm at work and don't have access to the deckbuilder). Dimensional Rift normally gets blown up before it goes off and In An Unmarked Grave is expensive (and you pretty much have to be playing mono-Cthulhu to have a hope of getting the requisite resources).

It depends of the kind of deck you're playing with.

If you don't have a recusrive way of killing the opponent's characters, it is obvious you'll have a problem at the end of the game.