38. Leap - landing on empty spaces

By Corbon, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark FAQ Update Discussions

Background:
From the Leap rules... "Leaps cannot pass through walls or closed doors, and they must end on an empty space."

Is this the same 'empty space' as the trap rules use? Or more likely just meaning a space that does not have another figure etc in it? Can a Leaping figure end it's Leap on an obstacle it could normally move onto (lava, for example)?

Question:
Q. The Leap rule states that a leap must end on an empty space. Does this refer to a space not occupied by another figure, or refer also to obstacles and other terrain that may normally be entered?
A1. A Leap must end on an entirely empty space or spaces. This means that a leap can only end on spaces that are eligible for playing a space trap on them that has the requirement on playing when a figure enters an empty space. Thus a Leap cannot end on any obstacle.
A2. A Leap must end on a space or spaces that the Leaping figure would normally be able to end it's move on. Thus the spaces must be empty of any figures or other tokens that prevent finishing there like Villagers, Shadow Soul or impassable terrain. A Leap move may end on an obstacle such as Lava, or pits, and will suffer any usual effects of entering that space (subject to the large monsters rules if it is a large monster of course).

Corrupted is still listed as an obstacle in the AoD rules, so your final sentence of A1 would seem to be inconsistent with the rest. (At least until we get a complete terrain reclassification.)

Also, if we're going to be formal, I believe they're "Trap (Space) cards", not "space traps". Though if you're going to spell out the whole "...when a hero enters an empty space" part, you might as well just say "cards".

Antistone said:

Corrupted is still listed as an obstacle in the AoD rules, so your final sentence of A1 would seem to be inconsistent with the rest. (At least until we get a complete terrain reclassification.)

Also, if we're going to be formal, I believe they're "Trap (Space) cards", not "space traps". Though if you're going to spell out the whole "...when a hero enters an empty space" part, you might as well just say "cards".

Whoops, yeah. Corrupted terrain is a special case that needs to be covered explicitly here I guess.

There are lots of little informalities throughout many of these threads I think. I'm pretty close to out of mental and physical puff to fix them now - as indicated by there being only 2 new threads today - that is the last of the google group threads and I can't summon the energy to pick up another from the sticky today.
Most of my current 'burnout' is due to external work/home factors, but also I'm not getting in much Descent gaming lately so the energy isn't being sustained by gaming efforts either.

To be comprehensive, other non-obstacle classes of tokens should be included in the question as well, like coins, glyphs, chests, runekeys, staircases, potions, encounter markers and the like.

It might even be added whether a Leap may pass through a Magic gateway in an AC.

Regarding A2, it could be included whether a landing space containing an Aura effect would harm the Leaping (or rather "Having-Leapt") figure. Clearly the figure can Leap there and it is immune against other Auras during the Leap (as per the FAQ), but about the final landing space?