RP tip for Deathwatch for players newish to the setting

By Charmander2, in Deathwatch Gamemasters

A couple of people in my group were fairly new to the 40k setting and had no real life experience dealing with military/paramilitary bonds. As such they were having a hard time figuring out and acting out how their characters would really feel being dropped into the middle of a DW KT, especially given the oaths and whole professionalism thing that Space Marines tout about.

One suggestion that seemed to resonate with them was with their own previous characters in other RPGs and campaigns- as Deathwatch is a 'high level' campaign in comparison to some of the other lines I suggested this to them: Treat your Deathwatch Marine the same way you would treat a high level DH, RT (or WoD, or D&D) character who had been fighting along side a set party for a whole campaign. Then take that character and plop them in the middle of a new group of characters. How do they interact with people they've never met who claim to be elite, but you've not seen true proof of this, versus the people you essentially grew up with, who you trust like no other. Somehow this related better to them than some of the other descriptions given- if you have players that struggle to adapt, this may be something they can relate to better and help them find their 'motivation' so to speak.

That's good advice.

I've used a different metaphore to give a player (who never came into contact with the Space Marines before) an image to work with.

Image the Marines like 1500 lbs Robocops and add a personality according to the chapters (and gave a quick description)

Worked pretty well.

As a rule, players new to the 40k setting I tend to point at the TVtropes website and ask them to read the introduction.

It's a bit bombastic and oversimplified but it gets the message accross.

The advice I give is to consider yourselves a honourable warrior prince in so much as that fellow marines are also princes, the orders come from the king.

The idea is that nobility can be varied, however in most cases (classic fantasy stylee) they tend to be arrogant and have little time for the commoners. However some nobility (and marines) make time for the lesser people (think of alms to the poor), as well as look to advisors, though they will show respect and honour that show they deserve it.

It's rough, but it sets the scene for them. They knwo they are warriors and they know their place in the social order (up near the top).

Specifics to the chapter can easily be gleaned fromt he chapter descriptions.

I would rather describe them as a mixture of Paladins and Special Forces soliders; they're angelic warrior-monks.

With Space Marines you can never get too sacral.

Alex