Fan of Arkham and FF but will I like Android ?

By player676160, in Android

Hi,

I enjoy Arkham and I have Kinsburg and Talisman from FF. Talisman was my first FF game and I don't really play it, not really interested in the whole dungeon style theme's. I enjoy the horror style but have quite a few horror games now but not a sci-fi style which I'm looking for.

It's mostly just me and my gf that play so is Android ok with 2 ?

I really do like the artwork and board with Android but I'm starting to think I just want the game for this

I do prefer a game with some dice but not too worried about this and the game length doesn't bother me.My gf seems to like the whole mystery/murder theme to it.

So is this the right sci-fi game for me or do I look else where ? I'm not aware of any sci-fi style games like the style of Arkham, is there such a game ?

Android seems to get very mixed reviews and not very high on the bgg score which is also putting me off. I would buy Fury of Dracula buy have too many horror themed already.

Thanks.

Well, first of all Android is for 3 to 5 players. You can find in house rules for 2, but never tested myself.

Android is about crime and investigation while your investigator is trying to solve his/her own personal problems.

So it would be very good if you liked to read a sci-fi book while playing a game, or else. It is quite complex to master and every investigator is so detailed and unique that what is good for one is useless for the others and vice versa.

s1mon said:

Hi,

I enjoy Arkham and I have Kinsburg and Talisman from FF. Talisman was my first FF game and I don't really play it, not really interested in the whole dungeon style theme's. I enjoy the horror style but have quite a few horror games now but not a sci-fi style which I'm looking for.

It's mostly just me and my gf that play so is Android ok with 2 ?

I really do like the artwork and board with Android but I'm starting to think I just want the game for this

I do prefer a game with some dice but not too worried about this and the game length doesn't bother me.My gf seems to like the whole mystery/murder theme to it.

So is this the right sci-fi game for me or do I look else where ? I'm not aware of any sci-fi style games like the style of Arkham, is there such a game ?

Android seems to get very mixed reviews and not very high on the bgg score which is also putting me off. I would buy Fury of Dracula buy have too many horror themed already.

Thanks.

I like Android a lot. But you really do need at least 3 players. I think 4 players is the sweet spot. The game does take a long time to play (like most FFG games). I love dice too, but you will not miss them in Android. The mechanics are really solid.

None of the rules are too complicated. The problem is there are a TON of rules to remember. The good news is it just takes some practice to get use to and remember everything. If you take the time to learn it and get 2-3 games under your belt you'll be set. From that point you'll start seeing how much strategy there is. And each detective will radically change your game experience. This game has a lot going for it.

And even though it's been said a thousand times before... it's a good comparison. This 'who done it' game is not like clue. When you start the game there is no definitive murder. There isn't a face down card of the suspect who did it. The game evolves as the players play. Each player works toward proving their suspects guilt. I've read comments that say it's like framing someone. To me it never felt like that. It's thematic; it's a story and the players are making it unfold.

Here are some guys who made a review for Android. They're all over the map in regards to their comments but they make some good points:

http://boardgamegeek.com/video/4880/android/the-gamers-table-episode-15-android

People seem to love or hate Android so it's always hard to recommend even though I really do love it.

s1mon said:

Android seems to get very mixed reviews and not very high on the bgg score which is also putting me off.

Thanks.

F**k the bgg ratings! They don't mean jack. The key to getting use out of the ratings is to get a bunch of geekbuddies that have similar tastes to you, then you can see what they rate any given game. It took me a couple years to realize that. The overall ratings meant even less (to me at least) once I realized that bgg is very heavily biased in favor of eurogames vs thematic games and wargames etc.

As far as the actual game, it's tons of fun, but it's listed as 3-5 players.