Beyond theme/setting/characters/monsters, what does this game have in common with Arkham Horror?

By bitva, in Mansions of Madness

In what ways are this game similar to Arkham Horror past the theme? Do we know if any game ideas or mechanics translate from Arkham Horror to Mansions of Madness?

All I know is the investigator miniatures are the same figures as the Arkham Horror pre-paints. If you have the AH Prepaints you can use them in place of the unpainted investigator miniatures that come with MoM.

Based on what they have previewed so far I would have to say the game has more in common with the Call of Cthulhu RPG and the existing FFP games DOOM and DESCENT which are both wonderful games.

Sorry I could not be more helpful.

bitva said:

In what ways are this game similar to Arkham Horror past the theme? Do we know if any game ideas or mechanics translate from Arkham Horror to Mansions of Madness?

Well, I love Descent, so this is great news! I would love to explore a creepy old mansion infested with Lovecraftian terrors in a similar way to Descent. Really looking forward to this now!

MoM definitely has more in common with the CoC RPG than with Arkham Horror, aside from the setting and characters. Think 'Warhammer Quest' in 1920s Arkham...

Remember the original Arkham Horror was a boardgame released by Chaosium in the heyday of CoC RPG publishing.

I'm wondering about the difficulty of this game. Arkham can be brutal, even if you know what to do.

Post Monster said:

I'm wondering about the difficulty of this game. Arkham can be brutal, even if you know what to do.

Since you play against a human keeper im MoM the difficulty (for the investigators) will depend on the skill of the keeper player.