Homeruled game

By thorn667, in Deathwatch House Rules

kk, so i'm thinking of basically tailoring my own game...me and a buddy, using deathwatch as kind of a guide. I just wanna know if anyone has any tips or ideas

I think it would help if you were more specific about what kind of game you want to run.

I'm not sure what you are doing and that makes it difficult to help.

basically refining deathwatch, mixed w/ dnd, mixed w/ shadowrun....just trying to get a good rpg going....we are going to use power armor, w/ a CPU as basically the leveling system. The CPU has data-processing and Mechanical processiong...so a good fighter class would want more mp, and better fighter armor, where as a "mage" type class would want better DP. You basically buy parts for your armor that use up DP or MP

thorn666 said:

basically refining deathwatch, mixed w/ dnd, mixed w/ shadowrun....just trying to get a good rpg going....we are going to use power armor, w/ a CPU as basically the leveling system. The CPU has data-processing and Mechanical processiong...so a good fighter class would want more mp, and better fighter armor, where as a "mage" type class would want better DP. You basically buy parts for your armor that use up DP or MP

I'm so confused right now. Motives aside (and the fact the hair on my neck is standing up now), I don't really get what you're going with. Are you saying that you have power armor, inside of which is a Central Processing Unit that can process data and then process mechanical abilities. So the data processing would help with skills, versus the mechanical helping with things like lifting? And that is how you'd level up your character, so they're essentially tied permanently to their PA because that's what is levelling, not them? Is that the core of your game? What is the setting, what are the themes and ideas you're trying to convey? What is the basic construct of an adventure going to look like (a mission, you meet at a bar, you get a job?)? Those are the key elements you're going to need before creating a compelling homemade system.

IMHO, the three systems you mention all have strong and weak points, but they're not really compatible. You've taken a d20, a d100, and a d6 system, which will most likely (I've tried stuff like this too many moons ago) break horribly. I'd suggest trying GURPS or the like, or just figure out what you're trying to do and slap a system on top of the new theme and world you created. Stick with one system and customize or tweak it to suit your needs.

Where does D&D fit into this, btw? Shadowrun is basically a sci-fi setting with D&D in it, so I'm not sure what parts of D&D you'd want...