Sea of Blood: Lieutenant Flees Siege Location - Where Does She Go?

By Marximus, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

My OL is using the Leviathan plot and my Lt (Siren) is laying "siege" to the chains located at the Narrows of Gracor. The party travels to the Narrows of Gracor and an encounter ensues. Siren elects to flee the encounter.

Per the rulebook on p. 18, in the event a lieutenant flees an encounter, "the overlord immediately moves the lieutenant one trail away as if it had moved." Does that mean I can move Siren to either the Torrents of Deadpeace or Orris? Or, does that mean I move Siren onto a water trail between the Narrows of Gracor and either the Torrents of Deadpeace or Orris?

Marximus said:

My OL is using the Leviathan plot and my Lt (Siren) is laying "siege" to the chains located at the Narrows of Gracor. The party travels to the Narrows of Gracor and an encounter ensues. Siren elects to flee the encounter.

Per the rulebook on p. 18, in the event a lieutenant flees an encounter, "the overlord immediately moves the lieutenant one trail away as if it had moved." Does that mean I can move Siren to either the Torrents of Deadpeace or Orris?

Yes. That is moving the Lt one trail away as if it had moved.

Marximus said:

Or, does that mean I move Siren onto a water trail between the Narrows of Gracor and either the Torrents of Deadpeace or Orris?

No. That is not moving the Lt one trail away, that is moving the Lt onto an adjacent trail, which is neither following the rule nor a legal place to be.

As the official rules concerning fleeing lieutenants in SoB are just useless, we've house-ruled this he following way:

A Lieutenant which flees, is removed from the board altogether. On the Overlord's turn, the Overlord rolls a black die. On a Power Enhancement, the lieutenant reappears at his starting location (and can be issued an order)

This at least adds some sort of drawback for the Overlord in case a Lieutenant cowardly decides to flee.