Combining box expansions

By player601141, in Runebound

Has anyone devised any kind of epic game using all three boards (I'm not including midnight)? You would need a big table, but I think it could be fun.

--bedlamboy

It was discussed here once long ago, briefly. Put the Isle of Dread board to the left of the main board, and use Frostgate (?) as a connecting town from the main map to the Isle map. Players would start in Tamalir as normal, and have to collect a dragon rune before being allowed to travel to the Isle map from Frostgate. Or, obtain a certain number of level of +2 increases before moving to the next map. Once on the Isle map, use the Isle rules as normal.

This idea was pitched, but as far as I remember no one ever jumped on it to see how it worked.

I would like to see expansions come out where the board connects different boards from existing expansions. For example, a board that connects between the base Runebound board and the Isle of Dread board. It would have significantly more water and rivers than the base board, but not nearly as much as the Isle of Dread board so that no islands are formed. Unfortunately, the issue with this idea is that they're all overlays, and only one can be used at a time. But it would be really cool to just be able to put all the expansion boards together one day to form a complete map of Terrinoth!

A simple expedient would be a cardboard terrain overlay piece to "bridge" two maps together, say a 6-hex by 8-hex piece that could lay over the top of the board edges and overlap each by a few hexes. FFG could sell an "Epic Runebound" expansion with overlays for RB 2nd, Isle of Dread, Sands, and Frozen Wastes, with a set of rules for playing a larger game.

This would also be a great way to introduce a campaign mode for RB, something I know Ronan would love to do.

That would be pretty cool indeed. It would be even more epic than Runebound currently is, and cut down on game time if need be because it could be broken down into smaller, more managable blocks in a large campaign, not unlike Road to Legend for Descent. Would really like to see this some day!