This might sound quite moronic but...

By Ntiago, in A Game of Thrones LCG

...i've had a stupid doubt when having today's game. We made a game of 3 players using the core Set and 3 chapters adds, Randomly, a freind picks Stark, me Tagaryen and my brother Lannister. Just to straight up something:

You can have (maximum) 8 Cards in play being them Characters and/or Locations (excluding attachements) or being them Standed or knelted. You can't just bring any more Characters/locations cards into play. Right?

More precisely, the doubt started when, My brother had 8 cards in play being one of them "Hidden Vale Pass" with the text:

"Any Phase: Kneel Hidden Vale pass to put a Clansman character into play from your hand, knelt as an attacker during any challenge you have initiated. At the end of the challenge, discard that character from play if it is still in play"

He knelted the card and tried to bring another "clansman" card from his hand. Me and my friend argued that since he has already 8 cards in play he can't bring another one, even being an effect of his locations. His justification was the card he brought now would be substituting the knelted location, so he still has 8 cards in play (not counting the knelted location). My understanding is that this isn't possible, only if the location was in that moment discarded.

Can we discard freely cards from hand to the discard pile? And cards in play can they freely be discarded by the player or they must be discarded only after a result of an action (or death)? Also, we don't have a maximum number of cards in hand, right?

I know this are very noobish questions.

Ntiago said:

You can have (maximum) 8 Cards in play being them Characters and/or Locations (excluding attachements) or being them Standed or knelted. You can't just bring any more Characters/locations cards into play. Right?

No. Am I correct that you assumed such rule from watching video? There is no such rule. You can have as many cards on table as you like (if you can pay).

Ntiago said:

Can we discard freely cards from hand to the discard pile? And cards in play can they freely be discarded by the player or they must be discarded only after a result of an action (or death)? Also, we don't have a maximum number of cards in hand, right?

You cannot discard any cards freely. There is no hand limit.

You should ask in rules section - your question will be noticed and answered much sooner.

Thanks for the clarification.

Yes, the video that ffg posted on youtube was the principal source to that misunderstanding. This brings a lot of more questions, but i think it's better to give a round-up read of the forum as well going back to back with the rule book and the faq.

Unfortunately, even if we would all like it sometimes - we cannot discard cards freely.

As for the limit of cards on the table: the only limit is all the cards you have in your deck (and possibly some of your opponents' cards if you're crafty enough :) ) - in short there's no card limit in both hand and in play.

So many new players get the same idea from watching the video. I doubt FFG could be convinced to redo them in a way that will not give new players wrong ideas.

Anyhow, your only reference should be the rule book that comes with the game (and the FAQ for further clarifications, available in the support section on this website). Nowhere does the rule book impose a limit for cards in play, so there's no need to assume there is one. :)

Even if they did modify the videos and include more cards per side people would then just think its 10 or 12 or 20 or whatever. I really don't see how anyone would assume that even from the videos we have now. And even after watching the videos reading the rulebook is a must.