Multiple Science Victory

By scimon, in Sid Meier's Civilization: The Board Game

Hopefully I'm going to get to play my first game later today but perusing the rules I've been wondering what is the likelihood of two people getting to the stage where they can research Space Flight on the same turn. And if they do, who gets it?

The Rule book specifically states that all Tech research is simultaneous so if two players both get the tech requirements and the right amount of trade on the same turn is it just a draw?

The official current ruling is that a player would win as determined by turn order (so the current First Player would have the first opportunity to win, and so on). However, Kevin Wilson has said that he will be reviewing this ruling for the first FAQ.

Bleached Lizard said:

The official current ruling is that a player would win as determined by turn order (so the current First Player would have the first opportunity to win, and so on). However, Kevin Wilson has said that he will be reviewing this ruling for the first FAQ.

Yes, and I will repeat my plea that he leaves it as is. No need to fix something that isn't broken.

When I mentioned this ruling to my gaming group, the sound they collectively made was something like "ewurgh!"

Smoo said:

Bleached Lizard said:

Yes, and I will repeat my plea that he leaves it as is. No need to fix something that isn't broken.

Perhaps you meant to say "No need to fix something I personally don't consider broken"...?

Besides, he could make it optional, you know.

CapnZapp said:

Smoo said:

Bleached Lizard said:

Perhaps you meant to say "No need to fix something I personally don't consider broken"...?

Besides, he could make it optional, you know.

No, I stand by my phrasing. The current way isn't broken at all. Just because some people don't like it doesn't make it wrong. I don't like the tiebreakers in some games I've played, either. I deal with it. I work around it. I take it into consideration as I'm playing.

Personally, rather than simply having it be a tiebreaker based on turn order, why not have it based on your progress toward one or more of the other victory conditions (cultural/economic/military) Though the military one is hard to judge, the other ones are easy enough...

Osaka said:

Personally, rather than simply having it be a tiebreaker based on turn order, why not have it based on your progress toward one or more of the other victory conditions (cultural/economic/military) Though the military one is hard to judge, the other ones are easy enough...

This is exactly what is outlined in the FAQ.