Starting attribute bonuses besides +5 WS/BS

By ejacobs, in Deathwatch House Rules

So, in another post I read someone's comments about not liking that some starting characters received a +5 bonus to either WS or BS, and it got me thinking. I kind of like the point. Since those advances can be taken through SM advances(training) I figure the starting advances of a PC should be more reflective of their geneseed and indoctrination, not something that can be picked up in the training circle or on the firing range.

Others may disagree with this and that's okay, but what I am looking for in this thread would be starting advances of characters that do not include WS or BS. Even the Ultramarines with their +5 to any, I would not allow those advances to be taken in WS or BS, I'd make the player choose something else. So what do you think? What are your suggestions? Remember, this is just an idea and I'd like to see what you think.

E

I can see your point, but you have to remeber the Gene Seed takes into account the entire chapter of specialties, that is to say not all blood angels are assault marines ect. So there would be variations. Also part of the fun of an RPG is to make your character Unique. As far as Ultramarines go I would maybe limit it to one choice and the other is +5 to Fel(Which I think it should be anyway) to reflect thier command skills ect.

You should also consider that DW characters are not 'new' space marines. They begin the game as veterans (13,000 XP).

I agree that DW characters are not new marines, but the Chapter attribute bonuses and abilities are not limited to only those members of the chapter that have joined Deathwatch, they are abilities and advancements for all chapter members.

What I am really looking for are what two attribute bonuses besides WS or BS should chapters start with, and a short one or two sentances why you think that.

That kind of gives me an idea of how everyone perceives the chapters and helps me help my players, most of whom have no 40k experience, get a feel for what the chapters are about, at the geneseed/indoctrination level.

I could even see each chapter having one set +5 advance and the other as a "put it where you want" advance, though I would still recommend it not go towards WS or BS, except in maybe the most well reasoned sentence or two as to why it should.

Thanks!

E

ejacobs said:

I agree that DW characters are not new marines, but the Chapter attribute bonuses and abilities are not limited to only those members of the chapter that have joined Deathwatch, they are abilities and advancements for all chapter members.

What I am really looking for are what two attribute bonuses besides WS or BS should chapters start with, and a short one or two sentances why you think that.

That kind of gives me an idea of how everyone perceives the chapters and helps me help my players, most of whom have no 40k experience, get a feel for what the chapters are about, at the geneseed/indoctrination level.

I could even see each chapter having one set +5 advance and the other as a "put it where you want" advance, though I would still recommend it not go towards WS or BS, except in maybe the most well reasoned sentence or two as to why it should.

Thanks!

E

Well I gave you one for Ultramarines That being Fellow ship.

Black templars-+5 Str instead of WS will still make thier melee potent

Blood Angels +5 toughness instead of WS to reflect thier long lifes.

Dark Angels +5Will power instead of BS to reflect thier dedication to prayer and insight

There I think thats what you wanted.

Very much so. I like the descriptions as well.

E