Customising the "Robots"

By EasyEight2, in Dust Tactics

Howdy,

I know they are called "Robots" but I still think of them as mechs. Anyway, I want to put a tank commander into the hatch of one each US and German mechs. The US mech is easy, the hatch pops up just fine. But the German mech hatch seems either glued on securely or cast in one piece. Has anyone tried adding a TC to a German mech or done other kitbashing? If so, how did you do it. Thanks!!

EasyEight

I built one of the 1/48 plastic kits from dust-models.com and the kits in the box appear to be the same thing, so you should be able to pop open the hatch depending on the type of glue used. you may have to pop off the whole cupola though, and then add one with a hatch from another 1/48 model kit. Maybe a panther? im going to give it a try this weekend, i want to put Von Thaler in one. cheers!

What figures were you going to use for the commanders? Just to say if you want to customise the commander with a gas mask head - west wind productions SOTR seperate head system heads fit quite well - ive aleady done a couple of head swaps on my germans - they do gas masks but with field caps, which would be good for a tanker.

They've got helmets and a couple peak caps too. Kit bash those heads + BAM's new plastic germans + GW's IG = mmmmm....

Hadn't thought of using SOTR masked heads, I was planning to use 28mm Bolt Action german tank commander or 1/48 Tamiya crew figure.

I removed the handrails located next to the cupola (I was able to wiggle them free) and then used an exacto knife to pry open the hatch. I used steady, gentle but firm pressure to get the knife tip under the hatch and then twisted the blade and the hatch popped off. In looking at the figure scale either a Tamiya or Warlord/Bolt Action TC would look good. I like the idea of using a gas-masked figure as well. Maybe an SOTR gasmask head on a Tamiya crew torso??

theguildllc said:

I built one of the 1/48 plastic kits from dust-models.com and the kits in the box appear to be the same thing, so you should be able to pop open the hatch depending on the type of glue used. you may have to pop off the whole cupola though, and then add one with a hatch from another 1/48 model kit. Maybe a panther? im going to give it a try this weekend, i want to put Von Thaler in one. cheers!

I just used the exact same method to pop my hatch and i put a spare Von Thaler as commander. the photo is on my photobucket as for some reason this comp refuses to upload my images to this forum.

Im going to a convention on sunday where west wind games are attending. - i have a load of UNA AT-43 figures i want to convert as well - not sure if they will make better germans or americans (paras?). base - figure size is the same, and again west wind heads fit fine when you pull out the head. SO ill be getting several head sets, plus some nazi wearwolves

Also again have some of the UNA 1 man mechs - think these would make good germans - just exchange the Laser guns for MG 42's.....

Still thinking of buying another copy of the game at the convention... groan.....

Can you please share the photo?? Thanks!

theguildllc said:

I just used the exact same method to pop my hatch and i put a spare Von Thaler as commander. the photo is on my photobucket as for some reason this comp refuses to upload my images to this forum.

EasyEight said:

Can you please share the photo?? Thanks!

i put a 'work in progress' picture up on my photobucket account (photobucket-theguildllc-dusttactics). for some reason my laptop doesnt let me post images or links to images on this forum so i put them on photobucket or boardgamegeek.

ok, she's done. (photobucketed)

Top notch again, you've inspired me to finally start painting mine.