Mission Summary (Part3): Shadow of Madness

By Stormson, in Fan Fiction

Acheron held the archeotech illuminator in one hand waiving the ancient lamp before the wall of xenos tech which melted from its translucent sheath into stark reality anywhere the eerie blue light fell upon its surface, only to fade away once more as the lamp passed further. The device slept soundly as the first they had discovered. In the other he held his auspex, primed to gleam the coveted data that he knew would reveal to him the past, as well as the key to the terminated future, of this particular Delirium Trellis. All he needed find was the control box...

Lucien waited with his usual suppressed energy. Patience was his personal form of torture. He knew this planet was simply waiting to bring the onslaught of pain and brutality to them, a form of retribution for opposing the legendary ghosts of Baraban, he just wished it would hurry up and do it. His hand reflexively tested the ignition handle of his chainsword. Others felt that he was jumpy and nervous because of this repetitious habit, his own smirk spread across his helmet encased face, he just enjoyed the sound of it. His attentions caught on movement at the perimeter of the clearing. The giant trees had relinquished the forest in this area ever so slightly, as if it was recoiling from the presence of the ancient device of terror within its midst. His mind focussed upon the threat, his fist brought the chainsword to a barking life, and his vox perked with his single word of caution and intent.

“Contacts.”

Haakon and Octavius each awaited within the Landspeeder Storm, manning each a weapon system that was trained upon the encroaching canopy of the forest. Octavius reviewed the over-all progress of his Kill-team. As squad leader for this outing, he squandered no moment of respite to enhance their position, or status, on this hostile world. The ghosts of Baraban could not harm he or his team, but there were plenty of brutally hostile xenos on planet which would if given the opportunity. He swung the massive assault cannon across the rare clearing in the dense forest to ensure that he was covering those of his team which were now deployed out in the open. Alerted by the slightest motion of the canopy above, he reflexively racked a round into the cored chamber of the mighty cannon, swinging the barrel skyward and just as he heard the summons form Lucien over the vox....

“Contacts.” ..... he suppressed the trigger and unleashed the static hell that growled with the heart of the assault weapon. His docile reply of tactical simplicity within the explosion of onset combat crossed the vox towards the rest of his kill team.

“Contacts confirmed. Target and pacify....” as the misty rain of gore and detritus fell upon he and Haakon within the open landspeeder. Haakon, spinning from his heavy bolter station to bring the chainsword bayonet of his personal bolter to bare upon the foul menace which landed solidly behind him within the speeder, drove the blessed and screaming weapon into the side of the cursed head of the misguided Kroot now before him. His lips no doubt pulled back to expose his fangs behind his armoured face plate, proving his contempt for the xenos that claim this planet as Octavius’ words soothed him into the stride of battle.

“........ in the name of the father Emperor, brothers.”

This is great, graphic language to say the least. I'd love to hear the whole recap of this adventure in all its sessions.
Has it been written, the whole of it, I mean? Why I'm asking this is because I'm planning on running this scenario
as my first DW adventure as a games master. Kindest regards, Erik Brickman, Sweden.

I wrote these re-caps mostly to keep all of the group informed on what happened last time we played. It is rare for us to get the whole group together in a session. Just spiced it up a bit for them to read and enjoy in hopes that they would be able to make it out to the next game. Shadow of Madness took a long time to play out. We were just learning the game at that time as well and were a little slower in combat and with the richness of the rules found ourselves searching through the book for answers when a question was raised. I ended up re-writing the ending to wrap it up sooner and left it up to the players to decide how they would finish it. In the end the assasinated the captured general as he was being led up the ramp to the Tau ship with, what I have to admit, was a VERY difficult and impressive shot. They bugged out after that and returned to the point. I am not sure if I wrote a final brief for Shadow of madness. I have since handed the game off to another friend and have started to actually play. I will post the finale of the second and final mission I ran before that though.

Thank you for your response.

Stormson, Canada