Which Victory for which God?

By chrassos, in Chaos in the Old World

hi darkones,

im closely to buy this game. if read the rules and wachted some (funny) reviews, read the rules and also some articles here in this forum.

NOW...

ive got only one question.

what is about the two ways to win with each God??? is there really an option for each God? or are the ways predefiened.

i mean:

how often do the single Gods win by either Dial or the Victory track??? maybe you can rank this somehow?

lets say if you win 10 Games, how often would you win by dial and how often you would win by Victorypoints???

Example:

Khorne (10 wins) 9 by Dial / 1 by VictoryPints

Nurgle (10 wins) 2 Dial / 8 VictoryPoints

Only one that has one realistic win choice is Nurgle, namely VPs. Sure, he could win by dials, but unless playing utter nitwits and/or n00bs with no idea how the game plays, won't happen. He needs to double up too many times, having the longest dial.

I've done some sniffing around... and would say:

Khorne: 7-8 dial / 2-3 VPs
Nurgle: 0 dial / 10 VPs
Tzeentch: 2-3 dial / 7-8 VPs
Slaanesh: 5 dial / 5 VPs

Sniffing done mainly in BGG sessions and this thread: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/490003/accumulating-statistics-how-many-wins-for-each-c/page/1

Khorne has won suprisingly many with VPs (surprising at least to me). Reasons (speculating): Peasant scoring can give Khorne a huge boost, Khorne isn't kicked out of scoring as often as others as he is the main kicker and sometimes people don't be afraid of his VPs.

NEVER seen a 4er report without rule errors that Nurgle has won by dial (there are for example Old World victories).

Tzeentch usually goes (as does Khorne when going for VPs) first for dial and then starts to quick ruin (moving warpstones) if he has not aquired double advancements.

For my gaming group:
Khorne: 12 dial/1 vp
Nurgle: 32 vp
Tzeench: 7 dial/18 vp
Slaanesh: 11 dial/14 vp

Nurgle is a beast, but he's boring to play.

I don't know the exact wins per god, but its pretty even for my group across all gods. Here is how wins usually occur:

Khorne: Dial >> VP

Nurgle: Dial << VP

Tzeentch : Dial < VP (but Dial win possible with good warpstone placement)

Slaanesh: Dial > VP (but VP win is possible with good noble token placement)

I've almost gotten dial victory with Nurgle. Of course, this was with new players and considering Khorne could possibly win by double advancement, I elected for a strategy that just gave Khorne no killing ability to resist my point victory. I've seen Khorne win by points 3 times in my games, only one of them being with all good players, and it's entirely realistic if he's denied battle dice early. With the expansion giving him much more of a focus on points, it'll be interesting to see what happens there.

As for preference, I concur with Bioball. Nurgle is not impossible to win by dial, but he really isn't likely to do it at all. He needs 5 double advancements to do this, which means he can only afford to miss 2-3 times given a fully played game. With Franz's Decree in a 4-player game, he could only afford to miss it once! Slaanesh is definitely the most fluid on which one to choose, while Tzeentch is a bit more stuck on getting points (still versatile). Khorne is almost as versatile as Tzeentch in his options, but he's really more effective at dial.

Guide to win Nurgle with Dial:

1) Start game as usual
2) Try not to get any Dial advancements for 2 or 3 rounds.
3) When you finally get one just move your DIal counterclockwise.
4) You can be sure no one can see a thing since they don't really think your are a threat after 2 rounds of no dial advancement.
5) Make your trick one more time in the following round.
6) When next round ends you can announce your victory since your dial is on "Nurgle Wins" now.
7) PROFIT!