Chasm Monster Placement

By Fryd Pickles, in DungeonQuest

If I draw the Chasm tile for my unexplored space, then draw a monster for that dungeon chamber, then evade it or die, the monster token stays on the Chasm tile. However, since the Chasm is split into two sections, do I leave the token only on one side whereas another opponent entering the opposite doesn't need to worry about that monster? Or does the monster attack both sides of the Chasm regardless of where the original player was initially?

Fryd Pickles said:

If I draw the Chasm tile for my unexplored space, then draw a monster for that dungeon chamber, then evade it or die, the monster token stays on the Chasm tile. However, since the Chasm is split into two sections, do I leave the token only on one side whereas another opponent entering the opposite doesn't need to worry about that monster? Or does the monster attack both sides of the Chasm regardless of where the original player was initially?

Good question. I would assume the Monster Token would be placed on the same side of the chasm in which you encountered the monster, since you are technically located on that side. So only those heroes who enter that side of the chasm would have to encounter the monster before drawing a dungeon card. Definitely needs to be clarified, though.

I posted this question on BGG and the majority said the monster guards the whole tile. It doesn't matter what side you encounter it on. However, I tend to think thematically so that's my argument. They really need to create a FAQ for this game. Thanks for your opinion!!!

Sorry, I personally would have to agree with BGG's majority. Any more is simply overthinking it. If you wanna be nerdy about it though, he can still shoot you. Now in the old version, you didn't have ranged attacks except in the cases of guys like the archer or the ninja and so you would have been.... no wait, you still would have been overthinking it because it just wasn't that important. Next thing you people are going to tell me is that you shouldn't die when falling down the bottomless... oh wait, they already pulled that... serio.gif (notices the disturbing lack of a facepalm smiley)

I mean if you want to go nuts, then he's still able to use ranged and magic. Disallow all close combat cards for that conflict if you're on seperate sides of the chasm.

Wow...thanks for the most sarcastic reply ever. I'm not overthinking it. It's a simple question that came up when playing the game. There are a ton of games that oversee things like this. That's where erratas and FAQs come into play. There is nothing nerdy about asking a question. Speaking of nerdy...who has the original version and can recite the rules/components? Not this guy. cool.gif (notices the classy smiley face with sunglasses.)

I would be cool with either interpretation if it came up mid-game. Personally I would be inclined to go thematically and say the monster is stuck on the side it was drawn, the only problem with that ruling is that then you either can't draw a card for the other side of the chasm if someone wanders by, or you have to find a way to handle two cards for one tile. Could get messy, mechanically.

You can make fluff excuses to "explain" either ruling and have it make sense (maybe the monster has a magic weapon, or maybe it's just better at jumping than the average hero, if you want it guarding both sides.) Personally I think fluff should be used to support the written rules whenever possible, rather than rewriting the rules to support fluff interpretation. In this case there's enough wiggle room to go either way, though.

The monster token is small enough to fit on one side of the tile. It's just as easy to justify why it can't make a ranged combat across the chasm as it is to justify why it can attack you across the chasm. The whole ranged this in DQ is hinky anyway. Go nuts, F.P. ... it's your game afterall.