BattleLore Miniature Confusion

By Interceptor2, in Battlelore

Man, I have to say I'm pretty excited about some of the upcoming BattleLore releases. Shoot, most of the battles released with Heroes, for example, required the use of Hundred Years War, which has not been available for months (I mean, when Heroes was released, Hundred Years War was pretty much sold out everywhere).

My confusion comes from the statement FFG made about the cost of producing BattleLore miniatures being a factor in continued production of the game. As I look at their other games, this makes absolutely no sense. Why would it cost more to make BattleLore miniatures than it would to make miniatures for Battles of Westeros, or Descent, or Dust Tactics, etc.? If it has something to do with the Days of Wonder molds, then why can't FFG make their own, duplicate molds? If producing the miniatures is a threat to the longevity of BattleLore, it seems like this is a situation that is easily resolved. Maybe I'm missing something, but as I look at my BattleLore gameboard, arrayed from side to side with soldiers and creatures and banners, with the really nice, quailty components placed around the board, I think this is a darn cool game, and FFG should find a way to continue to support it. Now that I'll have an army of Dwarves, Humans, and Goblins (along with the kick-ass Heroes, Creatures and Dragons), this game is really coming into its own, and its awesome potential can finally be recognized. Let's get thye sword swingin' and keep this game alive and well.

I agree - this is a wonderful game. Probably becoming my favourite game to play of all those I own. I am glad to see FFG support it through the fantastic sounding expansions they have recently announced, and of course through the ones already released. I am happy to see they were able to make the base game and older expansions available by refashioning the French sets. I really hope to see FFG create a new base set for this wonderful game - and continue to support it in the way they have been. It's a great game I love playing.

Cheers,

Giles.

Interceptor said:

Man, I have to say I'm pretty excited about some of the upcoming BattleLore releases. Shoot, most of the battles released with Heroes, for example, required the use of Hundred Years War, which has not been available for months (I mean, when Heroes was released, Hundred Years War was pretty much sold out everywhere).

My confusion comes from the statement FFG made about the cost of producing BattleLore miniatures being a factor in continued production of the game. As I look at their other games, this makes absolutely no sense. Why would it cost more to make BattleLore miniatures than it would to make miniatures for Battles of Westeros, or Descent, or Dust Tactics, etc.? If it has something to do with the Days of Wonder molds, then why can't FFG make their own, duplicate molds? If producing the miniatures is a threat to the longevity of BattleLore, it seems like this is a situation that is easily resolved. Maybe I'm missing something, but as I look at my BattleLore gameboard, arrayed from side to side with soldiers and creatures and banners, with the really nice, quailty components placed around the board, I think this is a darn cool game, and FFG should find a way to continue to support it. Now that I'll have an army of Dwarves, Humans, and Goblins (along with the kick-ass Heroes, Creatures and Dragons), this game is really coming into its own, and its awesome potential can finally be recognized. Let's get thye sword swingin' and keep this game alive and well.

Let me try to hopefully clear up the confusion.

First, Battlelore was initially created by Days of Wonder (aka DoW) for about a period of 2 years. And then it was sold to FFG. FFG said FOR the CORE Battlelore set that it would cost more than DoW was selling the Base set for (I think around $80 - don't hold me to that...bought my core set from DoW when it was initially sold!!).

Thus FFG is using the DoW sets that were found in a French warehouse and making them English sets (or pretty close to them, minus the English rule book and maybe some other items). Thus the cost to translate and convert is minimal [i.e. the minatures had been created by DoW at the time]

Cab

Cab, not to put words into Interceptor's mouth, but I think the confusion being referred to is over FFG's past statements that producing a core game for BattleLore similar to the one that DoW produced would cost the consumer upwards of $150 (and originally the post said $200 ;) ), yet BoW is retailing for $80 (though BoW does have a lot less figures, 138 to BL's 210+), not confusion with the "repurposing."

I still don't know where FFG is going to go with this situation, but I am hoping it is leading to a revised version of the core game that features a "complete" human army (and more like "a complete and a half to two" :) ) and all the basic BL bits, with the Goblin and Dwarfs being repackaged as "complete" big box expansions. But that's a lot of repackaging, not sure that will happen.

(And for what it's worth, DoW originally released BattleLore with a $70 MSRP, then bumped it up [as they did with most of their games around 2008] $10.)

Todd, I agree with what you saying about FFG. But sure would be nice to have some clarification as to the future, since obviously without a core set, makes it hard to have new people [i.e. money] come into the coffers for more expansions.

Since as I mentioned on another thread, it seems that MOST of the core units [i have yet to see the human archers and infantry in any of these "smaller" expansions, assuming the human calvary are in the Code of Honor expansion].

Was about to in the coming week, make perhaps a nice chart of what was in the base core unit and see where those units are in the FFG expansions, but I think I'll have to wait and see what is in the upcoming expansions to do so, since I doubt either Bearded Brave or Code will be out before year's end. [Althought it seems some retailers are saying both will be out by year's end...you would think that if the case, we'd have more info on the items in the respective expansions]

Cab

Once some of these new expansions get released...just think what we'll be able to do with this game. Run human on human historical campaigns, or humans vs. goblins fantasy campaigns or goblins vs. dwarfs, or a combination thereof. I remember how much fun I had playing Warcraft II, where it was heavy in the humans vs. goblins theme, with some dwarfs and undead mercenary types thrown in. To be able to re-create some of the feel of those battles would be awesome. I'm also big into the Forgotten Realms and Dragonlance settings. With all these components, it will be easy to create battles in these settings, especially given some of the high-fantasy components we've now been given, such as the dragons and creatures. The opportunities for this game are limitless, and the games re-playability and depth just grow with each expansion released. When BattleLore first started out, it was somewhat light on tactics and strategy, but as more unit types are released and the rules re-worked a bit (such as Battle Savy), the game is showing a lot of strategic and tactical depth, yet it remains simple and fun to set-up and play. Long live BattleLore. Hail and Kill!

I couldn't agree more with a lot of what has been said here.

Battlelore is perhaps my favourite boardgame. I've been in since the very start and own everything that has been released. I just see so much potential in the game. Its fast paced, brilliant system that I will never turn down a game of. I love what we have received for the game so far, but eagerly hope that these next two expansions are the first of many.

I would love to see this game get past the bumpy ride its had so far and go onto further greatness (which I think it will).

But something more official in regards to whether or not they are still pursuing a new way to release a base set (besides the band aid French solution) and where they are planning to go in regards to future releases. Races? Racial Heroes? More Lore cards/masters? Epic deck of cards? Campaigns?

Cheers,
Ben.

I've kind of been hankering to buy BattleLore for a while, but was really disappointed in the amount and type of expansions. Seriously, if it is always going to be goblins versus dwarves, then I'll consider Warhammer. It may be hugely expensive, but if I want an undead army, I've got options.

I was surprised at first when FFG got the line that new core sets weren't coming out, or even announced. Then their announcement was posted and it sounded like they were kind of screwed by Days of Wonder. FFG bought the BattleLore line and all of the remaining stock, then found out DoW had overprinted the first run to cut costs, and then the mini manufacturer had given DoW a low bid in the first place. Those problems, plus inflation, had made a new print run of the original BattleLore cost WAY too much to make.

I imagine they do have a core BattleLore in the works, but it will be about the size and price of Battles of Westeros, which has a lot fewer figures. Anything not in the new core box, but was present in the old, will probably be an expansion. I don't know how else they could do it.

I kick myself for not picking one up earlier. I'll try to get one of the repurposed boxes (assuming they'll be in the $80-90 retail range).

i am so glad i got this game right away! i really wish they would repackage their expansions... id like to see full army packs which would make buying them simpler. i am glad however that more creatures are coming out in expansions now and hopefully they will add new armies. but i only have the base set and now im stuck trying to find old stock for somethings... like 100 years war

@sepayne7l

have you tried Noble Knight? today they are with almost every expansion released for BL so far (admitedly, those that are out of print are expensive) and they have two copies of BL itself, one ofr 70 and the other for 65 dolars. I recommend them, they are really generous in regard of their quality evaluation: usually,when an iten is described as "near mint", it is just as new.

I've got almost all of BL releases from there, including the Core Box. It was cheaper than today, I admit. I'm itching to order both Goblins from old, Dwarf Battalion and The Hundred Years, but it would cost too much for me right now. Guess I'll have to wait for the repurposed stuff...

you know, I'm really glad with all this. two months ago I wouldn't imagine today I would have hopes of becoming a BL completionist... :]