Card Art that is Spoilerific

By RyanSD2, in 6. AGoT Spoiler Space

If you got into this game before starting or finishing the books, theres a pretty good chance you had some plot points spoiled for you.

One of the worst ones for me was Make an Example:

6042.jpg

I was 3 or 4 chapters away from Eddard's beheading when i was looking intently at this card. When i realized who's head it was i was so pissed, i decided to not play the game until i finished the books. That didnt last long though, the games too good and i'm too slow at reading happy.gif instead, i just tried not to look too hard at the pictures or the flavor text while i played. Anyone else have stuff ruined by cards?

Surprisingly, no, and I played for about over a year and half before even starting to read the books. My friends warned me to never read the flavor text and not look much into the pictures. They warned me about cards with major spoilers as well. They were also really good about not spoiling the books themselves, despite just about everyone else in my group getting parts of the books spoiled for them. One of my friends got Eddard's death spoiled through limerick, I kid you not! It was pure accident too!

After reading the books and looking back at the cards I realized how quite a bit of information is given away from the cards. I'm glad I made the conscious effort to not look for details or bother to remember traits, etc. The only card I thought that spoiled something for me was Asha Greyjoy. I thought she was going to die because she's cannot be saved. Alas, she's not dead; at least not yet!

Cool thread topic cool.gif

yeah, i thought the same thing about asha and it pissed me off to no end while i was reading chapters with her in them. And then...she's alive and well. I wish i had looked it up and saved myself a lot of grief lol. Here's a good one my friend ran into (which spoiled Joffrey's death).

3045.jpg

"My son was poisoned." -Cersei Lannister

Pretty straight forward lol. Seems unnecessary.

And yet, it wasn't Demon's Dance that killed Joffrey. It was the strangler.

As for flavor text, the text does not always reflect the card. One of the Pycelle's (I think TfR) actually quotes Tyrion Lannister. And a line may be taken completely out of context for the card, yet the words by themsevles fit what the card conveys.

Personally, I just can't buyt he arguement that the game needs to avoid spoilers of what happens in the books. Sure, some spoilers are huge (Eddard, Jaime's hand, the Red Wedding), but by shutting out these events we are limiting the options of the game. Yes, some people are going to have something spoiled by a card (whether intentional or not), but if the game decides it is never going to create a card that spoils an event in the books the game will suffer. I know when Five Kings was released I really, really wanted a Euron with a King trait, and I got it. But that would spoil the end of the Kingsmoot. And seeing Renly and Stannis with King traits lets us know that something happens to Robert (oh, and Robb Stark with the King trait instead of Eddard is also a clue).

But, as you also pointed out, you can misread a card into believing a spoiler. So it can balance out that way.

~Bones of a Child WTF! The whole next book is ruined!!!

They only real thing I had spoiled directly from the game was Tyrion's nose getting lopped off as seen in Writ Small and I think other cards as well.

Seriously here, folks. Did you expect there to be no spoilers when playing a game based on a 4-book license?

ktom said:

Seriously here, folks. Did you expect there to be no spoilers when playing a game based on a 4-book license?

Wait, what? How did this thread go from "Let's talk about card spoilers and if they spoiled anything for you," to "WHY ARE THERE SPOILERS IN THIS GAME!?!?!" lol.

Yeah, i originally was thinking this could be a thread for posting which things were spoiled for people by cards. Not in an angry way; I think of my spoilings as funny in retrospect. I think anyone who played the game before reading the books had to do so knowing that certain things would be spoiled. In fact, I love flavor text and huge plot points being on cards.

On a somewhat related note, I've heard people say that the scene from power of blood is when brienne and jaime are dueling in the woods/river right before the BMs catch them. But if this is indeed that scene, why does jaime have long blond hair? Cleos is the one who shaves his head and by the time they duel Cleos is dead, so jaime would be bald by their duel. I'm not 100% on this, but it seems off to me. Can anyone clear it up?

1194.jpg

RyanSD said:

On a somewhat related note, I've heard people say that the scene from power of blood is when brienne and jaime are dueling in the woods/river right before the BMs catch them. But if this is indeed that scene, why does jaime have long blond hair? Cleos is the one who shaves his head and by the time they duel Cleos is dead, so jaime would be bald by their duel. I'm not 100% on this, but it seems off to me. Can anyone clear it up?

That's understandable for the artist, ktom, but is there no QA for AGOT LCG? I always assumed that such a big company would run QA on all their products. What about the art director? The playtesters? It really doesn't bother me that much, I'm just curious on how it slipped by.

Yeah, well... And why is Tyrion Lannister (s) wearing the Hand with his nose cut? Tywin took the Hand while he was in bed recovering from the wound that left that scar. That has always bothered me lengua.gif

good catch eloo happy.gif

I didn't care to much about spoilers before reading the books so I had quite a lot poiled. I even checked the hall of dead at tzumainn.com long before I decided to read the books.

I instead had another experience when reading the books and that was finding all the small passages that inspired various cards. One of hte first I remember was "Looking For Rubies". That gave me a lot of aha-experiences when I finally understood the references for the cards.

Ive actually had a lot of funny moments like this with my girlfriend. Im on my second read through of the books and she just started on her first read of Storm of Swords when we decided to start playing the LCG (the first two books hooked her something fierce xD ) so I had to Censor every card in every chapter pack we bought.

The best moment was when I literally Forbade her to use Eastwatch-by-the-sea untill she finished Swords because it had the most Blatant spoiler Ive seen yet, its flavour text is "Stannis landed his men at Eastwatch" which is almost as in your face as having a card that says "Lol, Ned dies in the first book" I thought it was really funny!

I always thought "If you control Ser Barristan Selmy, discard Arstan Whitebeard from play" was pretty bad for those who hadn't read SoS.

I remember that, having Selmy as a Targaryen character in the game, I was always waiting for him to show up with Dany while I read the second book.

I've mostly found the spoilers to be so subtle that I don't realise they're spoilers until I've read the scene in the book, at which point I go " Snap! So that's what that card is! I thought it was just a generic picture...."

Sansa examining the black amethysts given her by Ser Dontos was one, Arya whacking the crap out of trees while reciting her hated names was another. I completely missed the fact that half of Tyrion's nose was lopped off until I got to that part in the book (I just thought the artist was making the Imp look mad ugly).

The Whitebeard/Selmy thing was a quite a heavy spoiler, though, but serves me right for browsing Dabbler so thoroughly before actually finishing Clash of Kings. They seemed to learn from that by not spoiling Lady Stoneheart in the same way...

"You Killed the Wrong Dwarf" is another one that reeks of spoiler.

Not art, but the Core Viserys returning to your hand rather than being killed or discarded had me waiting for him to somehow be revived throughout the whole series.

There are plenty of cards around with spoilers, and there's no way that could have been avoided.

I remember upon seeing Stannis's Cavalry, a card showing cavalry fighting men in the snow, and then the flavor text reading "and yellow, so much yellow, yellow banners with a red device, whose arms were those?" when I realised Stannis was sending army to The Wall. Also The Wall (TWoW) clearly shows Stannis with Melisandre atop the wall. Also Stannis Baratheon (AKitD) shows him with the wall in the background. The Epic Battle event The Battle at the Wall is also a spoiler on this.

My favorite is the dual trait Jon Snow. I had only watched the first season of the show, and hadn't started the books yet, so, when I read the card and saw Nights Watch. Wildling. In his trait spot, I had the o.O reaction, until I read CoK.

While it really is not much of an overt spoiler, finding out that the Horn of Dragons was actually a legitimate reference to the books was awesome, especialy considering the ability itself is exactly what the Crow's Eye wants to use in the books.

I would suggest reading until you reach Dance with Dragons before picking up the card game again.

Some art does indeed contain spoilers. That was kinda irratating for me.

Even the flippin' expansion pack names contain spoilers: "The Bolton Betrayal", really? And I had to encounter the chapter pack mere days before the Red Wedding episode aired on TV. Bad luck indeed.

Now I'm reading the books, and for good measure. :P

As for cards with spoilers in the art, I remember the walk of shame by Cersei, that's captured in the art of the card. Haven't reached that point of the story, but no real 'point' to it now, huh. :)

Edited by Marginal0

While it really is not much of an overt spoiler, finding out that the Horn of Dragons was actually a legitimate reference to the books was awesome, especialy considering the ability itself is exactly what the Crow's Eye wants to use in the books.

I had the same reaction, my friends and I were talking about the horn when I finally read all the books. we were thinking it would be awesome if when the card knelt the charracter it was attached to dies and that player takes control of the dragon for good. Although, we do not fully understand how the horn works yet, cant wait to find out!!!