Fallout Post-Apoc...

By Aldarion2, in The Crystal Ball and The Wishing Well

I´ve always been a fan of the fallout series, I played the first and second volumes about ten years ago...it was the most enjoyable pc rpg experience ever.

This series mad an even bigger fan of post-apoc theme of me. Eversince I´ve made scenarios, little game or mini conversion to match the fallout ambientation.

I´ve found it out to be not only a rant of my own, because in all these years I´ve crossed paths with fallout-fans from all ages and from many different gaming backgrounds (pnp rpgs, hardcore wargamers or pc/console gamers).

I fancy a fallout Boardgame would be very cool, with many possible expansions or even variant games. What do you think?

I think your spot on. Lots of fans of the genre, just no good games lately that really catch all that "Falloutey" theme.

I think your spot on. Lots of fans of the genre, just no good games lately that really catch all that "Falloutey" theme.

So true. A fall out game would be very cool!

Well i´m not surprised to see I´m not the only Fallout fan out here!! Seems that the bethesda games, even though good, didn´t quite completely filled the expectations...

The interesting thing to discuss about would be what kind of game would be most appropriate to capture the fallout mistique?

Boardgame? Card Game? Miniature Skirmish?

I'd say boardgame (if you want to emulate Fallout RPG) or card game (if you want to emulate Fallout:Tactics).

My preference would be a boardgame, but I think a miniature skirmish game with a campaign system would capture the spirit of the video game much better.

Jakews said:

My preference would be a boardgame, but I think a miniature skirmish game with a campaign system would capture the spirit of the video game much better.

I agree 100% and I would love to see a fallout miniatures based game. Right now there is a company working on a game called Earth Reborn that is similar but I haven't heard anything about how it plays. I started playing Fallout when Fallout 3 came out for XBox and I absolutely loved it. Huge map and open ended gaming where the player can pretty much do whatever they want and you don't have to stick with some story line if you don't want to. I spent most of my time just wandering the wasteland and finding cool stuff. I even looked into developing my own miniature based RPG type game that would be a post nuclear war or other cataclysmic type event but soon discovered that it's a massive undertaking that would require an enormous amount of preparation. Just laying out a basic map took me two weeks and that didn't include roads and only a few of the cities and outposts. That was just topography. I would love to see them do it and I think it would probably be pretty expensive if they do it right, but it would be worth it.

I would like to see something Fallout as well.

Of all the RPG games out there, I can't imagine a more interesting RPG "story" than a post apocalyptic setting.

i think a board game would capture the board game feel much better

Maybe something more in the line of WOW boardgame rather than Dust:Tactics...

I mean, players might interpret a party that roams the wasteland, discovering items, learning skills,facing foes, everything resolved through a random mechanics. I´d even make the board itself random, with tiles uncovering through character exploration.

There could also be a meta-plot that requires the players to solve "x" issue in a limited amount of time (very a la fallout 1 or 2 ) wich could change from session to session with random cards.

Another idea that comes to my mind would be simpler, but nonetheless, I think, appealing to us fallout fans. That would be a Risk/Dust style game, with a depicted map of our beloved wastelands, with players in the role of different factions fighting each other...

You could even have "the wanderer" intervene in events like the "Conan" boardgame does...how about that?

Wow, I know I would definitely buy a post-apoc. themed boardgame. A party of wastelanders surviving in a mutant/zombie/monster decaying world, while encountering other survivors and scavenging for precious items that they need to build a settlement, or something like that.

A town-building game would also fit the theme. Trying to rebuild civilization while fending off hordes of mutants, sending scavengers to look for supplies in the nearby city ruins, and managing the people that live under your protection, getting them out of hard times like starvation and disease.

Thinking all this makes me wonder why there are almost no post-apocalyptic themed boardgames out there, save for the zombie games, that most of the time hardly count.

The town-building fallout themed game sounds like a great idea too!!

In fact, I think any kind of game would function on variation like this...I was picturing today a game similar to descent or the like, where characters are from th bortherhood or some high tech scavengers getting into an old pre-war facility Base.

There is a recently released non FFG game Skirmish Miniature game out there that totally nails the fallout theme and world. Its also a great game. I personally would love to see a n RPG based on the Fallout World or some similiar. Shadowrun does not count either!

Anyway, who knows, FFG has made some real good games that were taken from other PC games. Like STARCRAFT!

klaymen_sk said:

I'd say boardgame (if you want to emulate Fallout RPG) or card game (if you want to emulate Fallout:Tactics).

Eewww, not Fallout Tactics! gui%C3%B1o.gif

Yeah best to stick with a boardgame and stay away from Bethseda's Fallout-Oblivion nonesense.

Protect/build and maintain your Vault. Scavange/raid the surface for supplies. Defend against monster attacks, super mutants, scavangers. Go 'questing' for special/rare items. Middle Earth Quest crossed with ATZ's (not the boardgame) base maintenance (supplies, personnel, morale, etc).

I was talking to my girlfriend while she was playing Fallout today and asked her if there was a fallout board game would she play it. Her answer was the emphatic yes I have ever heard.

I think a Fallout game in the style of Descent might be rather interesting.