Just bought the game, and...

By Julia, in Call of Cthulhu LCG

Hi everybody,

first post here, so nice to meet all of you, folks! I recently bought the CoC LCG core set, and today we had the first game. Everything was great, but I had two doubts:

i) the first one regards what it's inside the box. There are 7 factions (cards numbered from 1 to 140), a set of neutral cards, 10 story cards and 1 Conspiracy card. The first faction, the Agency, has 21 cards, the second one, Miskatonic University, 19, all the others 20. Is this correct? I'm asking simply because the 21st card of the first faction has the number 23, and it seems to me a little strange. All other factions but the first two have 20 cards, and all cards are in numerical order. The only card not following this order is the number 23.
And then: is it right I have only one Conspiracy? Rules refer always to conspiracy CARDS, as if they were more than one. Does this imply in the Asylum packs there are more Conspiracy cards? Or what?

ii) the second one is a game question (very noobish, I suppose). During the second round, a character with no icons was committed to a story; the opponent did not have any character to send there, so we supposed the first character, even if with no icons, was successfull at the story. But what happens with the icon struggle before determining success? I mean, having 0 arcane icons, is sufficient to say you won that struggle and so your character can be readied again?

Thanks for help!

Julia said:

i) the first one regards what it's inside the box. There are 7 factions (cards numbered from 1 to 140), a set of neutral cards, 10 story cards and 1 Conspiracy card. The first faction, the Agency, has 21 cards, the second one, Miskatonic University, 19, all the others 20. Is this correct? I'm asking simply because the 21st card of the first faction has the number 23, and it seems to me a little strange. All other factions but the first two have 20 cards, and all cards are in numerical order. The only card not following this order is the number 23.
And then: is it right I have only one Conspiracy? Rules refer always to conspiracy CARDS, as if they were more than one. Does this imply in the Asylum packs there are more Conspiracy cards? Or what?

ii) the second one is a game question (very noobish, I suppose). During the second round, a character with no icons was committed to a story; the opponent did not have any character to send there, so we supposed the first character, even if with no icons, was successfull at the story. But what happens with the icon struggle before determining success? I mean, having 0 arcane icons, is sufficient to say you won that struggle and so your character can be readied again?

So, cheating on AH Julia lengua.gif ?

#1: Yeah, Steve Clarney is a mis-print. You have the correct number and type of cards. APs indeed do come with more Conspiracy cards.

#2: You need at least 1 icon to win a struggle. But unopposed character with no icons and skill 1+ still gets 2 tokens to that story, one for succeeding, one for being unopposed.

Dam said:

So, cheating on AH Julia lengua.gif ?

#1: Yeah, Steve Clarney is a mis-print. You have the correct number and type of cards. APs indeed do come with more Conspiracy cards.

#2: You need at least 1 icon to win a struggle. But unopposed character with no icons and skill 1+ still gets 2 tokens to that story, one for succeeding, one for being unopposed.

Hi Dam!
Nice to meet you even in this forum ::smiling:: Yeah, sometimes you need a shot break from your relations, even if they are the most breathtaking ever ::laughing:: Anyway, I have tons of time issues in these days, the LCG, being a lot shorter than Arkham, is something great :-)

Thanks for the enlightment. So, number 23 belongs to the Miskatonic university deck. Is this a problem regarding only some boxes, or a general problem everybody has? I mean, if I contact FFG customer service, am I supposed to receive the correct card?

Ok for the conspiracy cards. So basically, I can add them to my deck as I like it, right? The rules state that for the first games you should add two faction decks + 7 neutral card and use this deck here for the game; I suppose that, as soon as you get more experienced, you can choose which cards and factions use, not necessarily having a dual-faction deck (maybe I can use cards from three or more factions). Right?

And thx for point number 2. I played it half correctly (struggles were wrong, 2 tokens issue right)

It's an interesting game, with tons of possibilities!

Everybody has an Agency Steve Clarney (at least in the LCG). IIRC FFG stated that there would be no errata or reprint of him to the Miskatonic.

Correct on the other bits. I myself use mono-faction decks, one of each. Haven't used the Conspiracy cards at all in my decks, have hard enough time as it is from bloating them up even more than they are now.

Dam said:

Everybody has an Agency Steve Clarney (at least in the LCG). IIRC FFG stated that there would be no errata or reprint of him to the Miskatonic.

Correct on the other bits. I myself use mono-faction decks, one of each. Haven't used the Conspiracy cards at all in my decks, have hard enough time as it is from bloating them up even more than they are now.

Thank you again!

You're saying you bought a core set that included Silver Twilight cards? I just bought the core set a few months ago and mine did not.

Gunjuro said:

You're saying you bought a core set that included Silver Twilight cards? I just bought the core set a few months ago and mine did not.

sorpresa.gif sorpresa.gif