Contemplating purchase, quick question.

By Ninian, in Call of Cthulhu LCG

Hello,

I recently purchased Arkham Horror and wanted to expand my Cthulhu gaming however I never liked having to build my own deck. It was way too much work for me as a more casual gamer. Is there a list of decent decks I can have premade for when friends come over to just pick up and play? Also, I don't know how willing I am to buy multiple expansions, just to get an extra of one card or other. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

~Ninian

Many beginning players use the suggestion in the core set - take any two factions (40 cards usually) and add 10 neutrals. Each player does that - no real thinking behind construction, and play them out. It is fun and teaches the basic game. Of course some combinations are better than others as you will learn.

Of course after a few plays you will start to like certain styles, etc., and might find yourself wanting to add variety with Asylum Packs, or even building decks... You never know! Building a deck can be fun.

Ninian said:

Hello,

I recently purchased Arkham Horror and wanted to expand my Cthulhu gaming however I never liked having to build my own deck. It was way too much work for me as a more casual gamer. Is there a list of decent decks I can have premade for when friends come over to just pick up and play? Also, I don't know how willing I am to buy multiple expansions, just to get an extra of one card or other. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

~Ninian

What you're asking is pretty much what the core set offers: There is half a deck worth of cards for each of the five factions, so essentially you just combine two factions and you've got an instant deck. You don't have to buy any expansions (asylum packs), though doing so will both improve the game a lot and give it replayability.

With the new model for asylum packs, you get three copies of each card which is the maximum allowed in a deck. With the exception of some of the older expansions, you therefore won't have to buy multiple copies of each asylum pack.

Thanks! I did see in the rules online that you can just pick two factions and go, but I wasn't sure how well that would work out after a number of games.

My next question is, what expansions should I get? I plan on getting all of them eventually but I thought I read something somewhere that some expansions have the 3 cards per pack and some don't and some of the ones that don't are getting reprinted so they will and some won't? There are a lot of asylum packs and I'm just confused over all of it...

Read a bit more on the forums and it looks like the earlier packs will be reprinted in the 3 per pack format... Eventually... Correct me if I'm wrong, but for now I won't worry about the earlier sets.

Also, sorry for the double post. Working on my iPhone and this was the only way I can post on here.