fate points

By steamdriven, in Dark Heresy House Rules

i am using homeworlds from rogue trader for characters in a dark heresy game. easy to convert over but have hit one problem.

in rogue trader the starting fate points for the homeworlds found in both setting as far as i can tell are all round 1 point higher in rogue trader than in dark heresy.

got me thinking. should I,

a, change all fate points results from rogue trader so they are one point lower and in line with dark heresy?

or

b, change all the dark heresy homeworld fate point results to be one point higher so they are in line with rogue trader?

personaly i would like to go with b.

my reasons are because that way both settings characters could be used together with out rogue trader characters losing out on a fate point and also dark heresy character will gain a fate point and thats a good thing in my book :)

would like to know what you all think about this as I can not be the only one to do this :)

Let me start off by saying that I see no reason why you would necessarily have to do either. But on the other hand, DH characters do tend to be notoriously squishy, especially at the lower ranks. So I have no problem with giving them an "extra fate point".

If it were me, I think for simplicity's sake I would just use whatever fate points the given homeworld calls for.

My two cents. gui%C3%B1o.gif

going to raise all fate points from dark heresy by one in line with rogue trader home worlds. also going to add characteristic modifiers for those homeworlds that do not have them. players can raise one and lower an other by 5 or leave it as it is.

Sounds reasonable enough.

If you don't mind, let me know how it works for you. I may decide to implement something similar in my games. gui%C3%B1o.gif

not a problem. will be running dark heresy soon.

have a few other house rules that i will be using. going to type them up and will send them to you if you like.

happy gaming :)

steamdriven said:

have a few other house rules that i will be using. going to type them up and will send them to you if you like.

Sounds great. But you should post them here, as well. That way, other players and GMs can access them if they like, or perhaps even give you some possible critiques or alternatives. Just a thought. gui%C3%B1o.gif

But if you'd rather not, you can always PM me. In any case, good gaming back at ya! happy.gif

good idea i'll do that :) with any luck will get to try them out this coming saturday :)

I thought I'd share a few thoughts on fatepoints. In both my campaigns we have divided fatepoints into two categories:

The Permanent Fatepoints that are essentially used as you would normaly burn a regular fatepoint. They are quite simply your extralives and every newly made character gets one to three of these depending on how long and combat heavy your campaign will be and how often you want your players to make new characters.

Then we have Temporary Fatepoints that are used as you would normaly spend a fatepoint, rerolls and recovering wounds for example. They cannot be burnt. These reset to your full number at the start of each session. You will get as many as you rolled up, based on background etc, possibly reduced by one if you know that you are playing rather short sessions. Alternatively every newly made character can get a set amount.

The clever thing is that as you burn a Permanent Fatepoint you will increase your number of Temporary Fatepoints by one. In that way you will get better at cheating death (by rerolling that dodge or restoring a few wounds) the more you have been in close touch with it, rather than the opposite way around.

When the character is awarded a fatepoint as a reward the player may choose to either increase Temporary or Permanent fatepoints by one.

I find this works very good and feels quite natural.

Now that is an interesting idea. It doesn't seem unbalanced at first blush, and it would give a little more incentive for those neurotically-cautious players to do something truly spectacular ... knowing that even if they have to "burn" their last fate point to survive, it will only give them more chance to wiggle out of a bad situation later.

Of course, I can see those glory hogs potentially abusing it ... at least until they run out of permanent fate points. But this just means that "fate" will eventually catch up to them.

I think it might work. I'll have to bring this up with my players, and see if they'd like to try it.

Thanks for sharing. happy.gif

I actually like that idea and will seriously consider using it in my game. Aside from the mechanical benefits, it also takes a little sting out of burning a Fate Point.