Deathwatch Armoury: Relics, Chapter Trappings and other Wargear

By N0-1_H3r3, in Deathwatch House Rules

So... with my Deathwatch group having properly taken shape and the players having gotten to grips with the rules and their characters, I've started thinking about the future of my campaign and how the characters are likely to develop, with the ultimate aspiration being that the Kill-Team eventually ends up looking like a selection of unique Special Characters, equipped with the finest wargear and wielding powerful relics from the Deathwatch and their own Chapters alike...

Rather than attempt to do all the work myself (which could take a while, and might mean that the opportunity to share that work is a long way off), I thought I'd try something different, hence this thread.

Anyone with any ideas for new items for use by Deathwatch characters - whether unfinished concepts, complete armoury entries, or anything in-between - I encourage you to post them in this thread for everyone to use as they see fit. I'll be posting a few tomorrow (quiet weekend permitting), but it's open to everyone.

N0-1_H3r3 said:

So... with my Deathwatch group having properly taken shape and the players having gotten to grips with the rules and their characters, I've started thinking about the future of my campaign and how the characters are likely to develop, with the ultimate aspiration being that the Kill-Team eventually ends up looking like a selection of unique Special Characters, equipped with the finest wargear and wielding powerful relics from the Deathwatch and their own Chapters alike...

Rather than attempt to do all the work myself (which could take a while, and might mean that the opportunity to share that work is a long way off), I thought I'd try something different, hence this thread.

Anyone with any ideas for new items for use by Deathwatch characters - whether unfinished concepts, complete armoury entries, or anything in-between - I encourage you to post them in this thread for everyone to use as they see fit. I'll be posting a few tomorrow (quiet weekend permitting), but it's open to everyone.

While not directly answering your questions for items, I have to say that I have been thinking about the future of the campaign myself too. I think the answer cannot just be more items. If Deathwatch moves in that direction, it won't be that successful, I guess.

My problem is this: Rogue Trader offers the players to conquer worlds in the Koronus Expanse and to build an empire. In Deathwatch however the Space Marines are not much different from adventurers in the sense that they are send on a mission that they are supposed to complete.

In my mind the future of the Deathwatch RPG must lie in Rank 4 or 5 PCs being given assignments on a strategical level. Their assignment must be something like - assist the crusade and break the Tyranid's siege on Hethguard and surrounding worlds. Then you give the players all sorts of intel and let them figure out the way. At Rank 7 or 8, the players might start to become co-responsible for the survival of the entire Jericho Reach, possibly also the Achilles Crusade.

If FFG doesn't put that much power and responsibility into the hands of the PCs eventually, my estimation is that a lot of people will prefer Rogue Trader in the long run.

As for items... if there's a really,really important mission coming up, let a chapter master visit Watch Fortress Erioch and borrow one of them his personal weapon, taking straight out of a codex and stats adapted to 40K RPG. That's going to impress the hell out of the players. Will allow them to a remark or two at the next 40K tournament too. gui%C3%B1o.gif

Alex

ak-73 said:

While not directly answering your questions for items, I have to say that I have been thinking about the future of the campaign myself too. I think the answer cannot just be more items. If Deathwatch moves in that direction, it won't be that successful, I guess.

I've no clue as to how Deathwatch will develop with each new book, as I don't work on Deathwatch - all the books I've worked on so far are Rogue Trader ones. This is one facet of my development for the future of my campaign, and I felt it'd be a useful resource for everyone to contribute to and use from.

I agree with all your points of broadening the strategic scope of the game within the setting it presents, and am making considerations of that sort as well (when time permits; I also have a Rogue Trader group to run, afterall), but that's a matter parallel, but not strictly linked, to the idea of further expanding the range of tools available to any given Battle-Brother.

Part of the reason of starting this thread is that it's an easy route for expansion that can be easily contributed towards - a single item of wargear is a small, discrete chunk of text and rules easily produced by just about anyone with the inclination to do so. Matters of grand strategy are not so compact or modular...

My next post will have content, starting with a few items from the Codices which haven't crossed over to Deathwatch yet.

Salamander relic chapter in the DW armory.

When dealing with flame weapons Salamanders are the best weapon crafter. This one was made by a salamander Captyain who join the Death watch for more than 40 years and died in service. His weapon have been given to the deathwatch by the chapter master at the time.

Dragon breath heavy flamer: Req 25 / famed or distinguished

Dmg 3d10+8 / Pen 5 / range 30m / clip 20 / Flame and special

Dragon breath special rules:

Built-in valve of regulation of pressure and dispersal allow the user to close or open the cone of dispersal by half with the following effect

Dispersal regulation

15° opening: Dmg 3d10+8 / Pen 5 / Range 40 + 10% for dodge test

45° opening: Dmg 3d10+8 / Pen 5 / Range 20 -10% for dodge test

Pressure control

When firing with the breath dragon flamer you choose to spend more prometheum on your ennemy. when doing so each 2 "shots" use give +1d10 damage to a maximun of 2d10, taking fire become also more easyer than normal give +5% or +10% difficulties avoiding to take fire and +2 or +4 dmg (1d10+6or 1d10+8) by turn on fire.

So if 3 "shots" are used then the Dmg roll will be 4d10+8, if 5 shots are used 5d10+8

valve of regulation of pressure and dispersal can be use also as an improvement for flame weapons and maybe if GM approval for melta for maybe 10 point of requisition. Also famed or distinguished.

Then something else,

the Blood Skull of the mortificator (an Ultramarines descendant chapter):

The Blood Skull is a chalice made of the skull of long time past hero of the mortificator, it is used for taking Oath before battle and is a sacred item of the chapter cult. All SM making the Oath wounded themself and put blood in the chalice then after the Oath taking drink a bit of the blood.

If used by the squad leader to take the oath (each SM putting blood inside) lose1 dmg point for each SM for the game and give the Squad a cohesion bonus of Rank/2 +1 (the rank is thez leader rank round down ex: rank 1 give +1, rank 2 or 3 gives +2,...).

In addition the squad can choose one more ability not listed in the Oath.

During mission it give the talented (command or intimidation) Talent

Req: 15, famed

Right, a few ideas, as promised. This is, for the moment, only a few items from Codex: Space Wolves and Codex: Blood Angels (as those are the two I have to hand right at the moment) converted across to Deathwatch. More will come later, when I've more time and I've done a bit of brainstorming. The second batch will be much more Deathwatch-specific, presenting unique items with background all their own...

Until then, though:

Chooser of the Slain

Often taking the form of a psyber-raven, a Chooser of the Slain is a fusion of flesh and steel that acts as a familiar and spy for a Rune Priest. Psychically-bonded to their masters through arcane and barely-understood technology, the creature can be directly and precisely controlled, with the master having direct access to the sensory experiences of the creature, and give it instantaneous commands at great distance.

The range at which a Rune Priest can interact with his Chooser of the Slain is equal to his Willpower Bonus in kilometres, although local conditions (psychic disturbances, etc) may reduce this. Within this range, the Rune Priest can control the Chooser of the Slain to do anything he wishes it to do, and can perceive everything it can perceive with no loss of clarity. In addition, it is considered to be a Psy Focus, so long as it is within a metre of the Rune Priest at the time, and the Rune Priest can extend the effects of any powers which affect him to his Chooser of the Slain by suffering a -5 penalty on his Focus Power Test.

A Chooser of the Slain is available only to Space Wolves Librarians with a Renown Rank of Respected or higher, and costs 20 Requisition. As the acquisition of a Chooser of the Slain requires implantation with a "Psyber Lure", it may only be acquired using a Signature Wargear talent.

Chooser of the Slain Profile

WS 35; BS -; S 18; T 26; Ag 45; Int 18; Per 40; WP 25; Fel -

Movement: 2/4/6/12; Wounds: 6

Skills: Awareness +20 (Per), Concealment +10 (Ag)

Talents: Heightened Senses (Sight, Smell)

Traits: Bestial, Flyer (8), Size (Puny)

Weapons: Claws and Beak (1d5-2 R, Primitive)

Frost Axe (Space Wolves Relic)

These highly-prized axes often have blades crafted from diamond, giving them the appearance of ice, and while they lack the tearing chain-teeth of Frost Blades, they crackle with the same blue-tinged energy, which infuses their crystalline blades with an unearthly glow, as if they somehow contain the killing cold of Fenris within their structure. A Frost Axe adds +3 Damage when an attack from the weapon causes Critical Damage.

Class Melee; Damage 1d10+13 E; Pen 11, Power Field, Unbalanced, 15kg, Req 60; Renown Rank Hero

Runic Armour

The work of the Chapter's Iron Priests, married to the ancient arts of the Rune Priests, Runic Armour wards the wearer both from physical harm and the dark powers of witches and sorcerers. Each of these ancient and masterful suits of power armour is inscribed with runes of warding and protection and bears the blessing of the Rune Priests.

Runic Armour functions as Artificer Armour in all respects, except as follows: the armour only possesses a single armour history. However, instead, it gains a Protection Rating of 35, as per the Force Field rules, which cannot overload, but which only functions against psychic attacks. Runic Armour can only be acquired by Space Wolves characters.

Wolf Tail Talisman (Space Wolves Chapter Trapping)

Though not inherently imbued with any power in its own right, a wolf-tail talisman is still valuable for the faith and confidence it inspires in the superstitious Fenrisians. Add +3 to any Tests made to resist the effects of psychic powers, sorcery, the warp or similar phenomena.

Wolftooth Neckace (Space Wolves Chapter Trapping)

One who has triumphed in one of the contests of might held within the Fang may be awarded a wolftooth necklace in recognition of his martial excellence and athletic prowess. Add +2 Weapon Skill, or +2 Strength, chosen when this item is taken - this choice can never be changed.

Blood Chalice

The Narthecium units used by the Blood Angels are subtly different to those of other Chapters, just as their Apothecaries differ from their peers elsewhere. Owing to the nature of the Blood Angels' curse, the Chapter's Apothecaries are as vital to the spiritual guidance of their brethren as the Chapter's Chaplains, exhorting control over the dark fury that consumes the Sons of Sanguinius. These Sanguinary Priests must practice what they preach, for the necessary bloodletting of the Apothecary's calling, whether to heal their brothers or to claim their geneseed evokes the Red Thirst's terrible grip upon their minds, turning their most crucial of duties into a spiritual trial that must be overcome time and again. To aid them, to bolster their resolve against the darkest parts of themselves, each narthecium in use by the Sanguinary Priests contains a blessed fragment of one of the Blood Chalices, each imbued with the merest fragment of Sanguinius' grace, urging the priests and their nearby brethren to greater glories.

A Blood Angels Apothecary with this item gains all the normal benefits of a Narthecium, and one additional boon: the Apothecary gains a +3 bonus to all Willpower Tests and may enter a Frenzy (if he has that Talent) as a Free Action. The same benefit is conferred to any Blood Angels in Squad Mode with the Apothecary.

This item replaces the normal Narthecium for Blood Angels Apothecaries, and is also considered to be their Chapter Trapping.

Glaive Encarmine (Blood Angels Relic)

These long, finely-balanced two-handed blades are ancient relics of the Blood Angels, each traditionally borne only by the chosen heroes who make up the Sanguinary Guard, an elite cadre of veterans whose legacy begins as Sanguinius' retinue during the Great Crusade.

Class Melee; Damage 2d10+8 E; Pen 8, Balanced, Power Field, Sanctified, Req 50, Renown Rank Hero

Angelus pattern Bolter

Used exclusively the Blood Angels and their successors, the Angelus pattern Bolter is a compact design, mounted upon the vambrace of the user's armour to leave their hands free. Traditionally carried only by Sanguinary Guard, allowing them to wield their two-handed Glaives Encarmine, these weapons sacrifice some of the range of a conventional Boltgun, but retain an effective rate of fire. To further enhance their effectiveness, they are loaded with the rare bloodshard shells, which are manufactured only by the Techmarines of the Blood Angels, their secrets passing to none but the Sons of Sanguinius. These shells contain a payload of monofilament wire which is cast out with great force upon detonation, tearing through flesh and armour with greater efficiency.

Angelus pattern Bolters are considered to be of at least Exceptional Craftsmanship, the effects of which are included below.

Bloodshard shells grant the Razor-Sharp quality to any bolt weapon they are loaded into. This effect has been included below. Bloodshard shells are not known to be used with any other form of Boltgun.

Class Basic; Range 40m; RoF S/2/4; Damage 2d10+5 X; Pen 4; Clip 20; Rld Full; Tearing, Razor-Sharp, Reliable; 14kg; Req 35; Renown Rank Famed

Some questions about the proposed relics:

How will changing the angle of the flame cone affect the number of hits this flamer deals against a horde ?

Runic Armour

Does the psychic protection stack with other force fields ?

Also, wouldn't hexagramatic wards be more appropriate than a force field that only stops psychic powers ?

Bilateralrope said:

Runic Armour

Does the psychic protection stack with other force fields ?

Also, wouldn't hexagramatic wards be more appropriate than a force field that only stops psychic powers ?

Runic armour in the wargame only provides protection (a 5+ invulnerable save) against psychic attacks; it's provides no resistance to psychic effects of any other kind (compared to, say, a Wolf-Tail Talisman, which grants protection against all psychic powers in the wargame). The use of the force field rules to provide protection from psychic attack already appears in Ascension, and I felt it was a nice, simple and appropriate way to represent the armour's effects.

As far as I'm aware, the field rules do not permit you to stack fields, of any kind

How will changing the angle of the flame cone affect the number of hits this flamer deals against a horde ?

Thanks to make me think of it more closely. We can stat that even if range change calculating horde damage keep the average range for the purpose of determining magnitude loss.

Or maybe the GM could raise or low the horde magnitude loss according to the tide of battle.

EX:

If shooting in a charging front the 45° of opening would hit and slow more ennemy and maybe ad damage or the 15° opening fit more for corridor purges.

But my porpuse with this weapon was to give a real flame weapon against non-horde encounters, and open combat RP making use of weapon adaptation for resolving tactical problems..

Some more idea to work with:

High pressure Plasma Flask Req 15

Those plasma flask are coming from an ancient Forge world of the secmentum solar. There with the secret kept alive during thousand and thousand of years the mechanicum produce those ammution for a few choosen military organisation.

- damage +1d10, gain balst +1 and overheat traits

Trice sanctified Prometheum Req 15

The complex rituals involving the production of this holly fuel is a secret well kept by the Ecclessiarchy and the Inquisition.

- Weapon with Flame trait gain also Sanctified trait.

Dark Angels, The Redemptor (special narthecium) Req 15 / Distinguished

This alterated pattern of the Narthecium had been made by the chapter interrogators to help them in their quest of purity and redemption. If no one knows of his true purpose, the Redemptor is indeed a great asset in the interrogation of prisonner if not to regarding for the loss.

-When using the redemptor during an interrogation gain +20% bonus and 1d5 dmg not reduce by T or armour. Gain a +30% Bonus but victim must succeed a T roll with -15% or die during the process.

The Arch-Angels Kiss (Blood Angel Relic for DW)

This huge two-handed chain/power sword dates back to the days when Sanguintus led his children against the hordes of demons that threatened the the empire. Given to one of his trusted captains it has passed down from marine to marine over the years and is now in the hands of the Deathwatch. The Fierce weapon is forged of pure Adamantine and the the teeth of the chain are made of unbreakable tempered diamonds. Holy runes line the weapon from top to bottom. When the the weapons power field is active it gives a fierce red glow. It is a weapon feared by demons and all who oppose the Emperor.

Arch-Angels Kiss Melee 2D10+13 9 N/A Sanctified, Power Field, Tearing, Felling(2) 20 65 Hero

N0-1_H3r3 said:

Chooser of the Slain

Often taking the form of a psyber-raven, a Chooser of the Slain is a fusion of flesh and steel that acts as a familiar and spy for a Rune Priest. Psychically-bonded to their masters through arcane and barely-understood technology, the creature can be directly and precisely controlled, with the master having direct access to the sensory experiences of the creature, and give it instantaneous commands at great distance.

The range at which a Rune Priest can interact with his Chooser of the Slain is equal to his Willpower Bonus in kilometres, although local conditions (psychic disturbances, etc) may reduce this. Within this range, the Rune Priest can control the Chooser of the Slain to do anything he wishes it to do, and can perceive everything it can perceive with no loss of clarity. In addition, it is considered to be a Psy Focus, so long as it is within a metre of the Rune Priest at the time, and the Rune Priest can extend the effects of any powers which affect him to his Chooser of the Slain by suffering a -5 penalty on his Focus Power Test.

A Chooser of the Slain is available only to Space Wolves Rune Priests (Librarians) with a Renown Rank of Respected or higher, and costs 20 Requisition. As the acquisition of a Chooser of the Slain requires implantation with a "Psyber Lure", it may only be acquired using a Signature Wargear talent.

Chooser of the Slain Profile

WS 35; BS -; S 18; T 26; Ag 45; Int 18; Per 40; WP 25; Fel -

Movement: 2/4/6/12; Wounds: 6

Skills: Awareness +20 (Per), Concealment +10 (Ag)

Talents: Heightened Senses (Sight, Smell)

Traits: Bestial, Flyer (8), Size (Puny)

Weapons: Claws and Beak (1d5-2 R, Primitive)

I woud say it doesn't get a Weapon profile of any kind. In the TTG it cannot be targeted and has no attack. I think this would translate to it being used as a remote sensor and would not have an attack profile of any kind. Otherwise your desciption looks balanced.

I like what he did with the Choser of the Slain. At most the claws and beak can do 3 damage, Imma keep it the way it is.

Mr. Dowell, Odius the Rune Priest of the Steel Wolf thank you! FOR THE ALLFATHER!

-J

I have one for the Black Templars:

Blessed Censor

This golden censor hangs from the shoulder or belt of Crusading Battle-Brothers. The incense and blessing of the censor are believed to protect against the warp, psykers, and warp phenomena.

Effects: Provides a +5 bonus to all tests against psychic powers made against the battle-brother. Additionally, if the Templar stands still for at least one round the incense builds up around the Brother creating a area at the rate of 3m a round, that provides a -10 to all psychic tests made in the area. (this does include allies)

Reknown: Famed

Req: 25

If y'all have critiques or concerns they are welcome.

-J

This is a cursed weapon, though it does have some benefits, in the long run it will kill a player if they are a Storm Warden.

Felblade of Vigil

In anyones hands other then a member of the Storm Wardens, this is a standard issue Sacris Claymore.

In the hands of a Storm Warden-Player must make a -30 willpower check. On a failed check the player gains 1d10 corruption points, but gains insight to his past prior to being frozen during the Nemesis Incident. Roll a D100. After every session roll a d100 if the player still possesess the sword and remove any previous lower level result with a higher one, unless the roll is 01-09 then the player has a chance to break the curse -60 WP check.

1-9= The player gains "Purger of Vigil" from rites of battle and recalls battles on the planet. In addition the player recieves +5 WS. The player is aware of the swords origins, it was corrupted by a Slaugth using xeno warp biotech. Even knowing this, the player must make a hellish(-60) willpower check to willingly give up the sword.

10-19= The player gains "Purger of Vigil" from rites of battle. The player really likes the sword and will not willingly give it up.

20-29= The player gains +5 WS. The player now uses this weapon as his primary weapon and will not willingly relinquish it.

30-39= The player gains +10 WS when using the Felblade of Vigil and uses this as his primary weapon and will not willingly relinquish it.

40-49= The player gains +10 WS when using the Felblade of Vigil and 1d10 corruption points, and 1d10 insanity points. The player uses this weapon as his primary, and sometimes when it is not tacticly reasonable to do so. He will not give up this blade with out a fight.

50-59= The player gains +15 WS when using The Felblade of Vigil, 1d10+5 corruption points, 1d10 insanity points and the player uses this weapon almost exclusivly even with other options are obviously more beneficial. The player calls this weapon by a pet name and sleeps with it any attemp to take it away will be met with force.

60-69= The player gains +20 WS when using The Felblade of Vigil, 1d10+10 corruption points, 1d10 insanity points and uses this weapon almost exclusivly even to the detrement of a mission. The player looses Hunter of Aliens if has it when facing slaugth. The player has nightmares about the purging of vigil. The player overly cares for the weapon when not in combat, even neglecting some of his other equipment. The player will kill anyone that attempts to take this sword.

70-79= The player gains +20 WS when using The Felblade of Vigil, 2d10+8 corruption poins, 1d10+5 insanity points and only uses this weapon.The player looses Hunter of Aliens when facing slaugth. The player has flashbacks of the purging of vigil during the day, and nightmares at night. The player only cares for this weapon and nothing else. The player starts to hear voices in his head that others covet his blade and that he should kill them- on a failed wp check the player will attempt to do as the voices suggest.

80-89= The player gains +20 WS, +5 str and a minor mutation. The player constantly itches under his armor when not in combat, any skill used is -10 for the distraction. The player gains 2d10+10 corruption points, 2d10+5 insantiy points, and only uses this weapon. The player sometimes engages inanimate objects as if he is living out the battles at vigil. The player looses Hatred Xenos, and Hunter of aliens when facing slaugth. The player will never drop this sword, doing things one handed if it is necessary to(with appropriate modifiers). On a WP check -5 the player will attack a battle brother and accuse them of trying to take his holy relic.

90-99= Same as previous but the str is now +10, 3d10+10 corruption, 2d10+10 insanity, and -10 for WP check.

100- The player can no longer stand being in his armor and will remove it. When he does it it obvious he has been corrupted by slaugth, he has black patches through out his body. He is now a construct of slaugth and no longer a viable player character.

Here are a few things i made for my own game i am running, keep in mind i haven't had a chance to play test these yet.

The Infernus Heavy Bolter is a pattern of heavy bolter used by the Deathwatch . These weapons are mag-clamped with rare suspensor discs that reduce the weapon's weight considerably. It is also equipped with a Heavy Flamer

Infernus Heavy Bolter (Bolter Profile) Range: 150m Rof: -/-/6 Dmg: 1d10+12 Pen: 5 Clip: 60 RLD: Full Special: Tearing, Suspensor Wt: 66kg Class: Heavy Renown: Respected Rec: 30

Infernus Heavy Bolter (Flame Profile) Range: 30m Rof: S/-/- Dmg: 1d10+12 Pen: 6 Clip: 15 RLD: 2 Full Special: Flame, Spray, Suspensor

Maw (Carcharodons Astra Relic 2-Handed Eviscerator Chain Sword) Dmg : 1d10+13R, Pen : 6, Special : Tearing, Razor Sharp, Unbalanced, Crude Disruption field, Wt : 18Kg Class : Chain, Renown : Hero Rec : 35

Crude Disruption Field : Allows a Chain Weapon to parry against power weapons without penalty .