the healer

By spazard1, in Cosmic Encounter

maybe everyone else already knew this, but the healer looks to be included in the FFG version of cosmic encounter. On the new homepage for CE, there is a flash annimation and part of the alien healer card is visible. very cool. i'm super excited for this game.

Are you a particular fan of the healer? I am just curious as to the specific excitment about the alien.

I am pretty pumped about the art work in general. I think it hits dead-on between serious and retro-whimsy, which is perfect for this game.

bioball said:

Are you a particular fan of the healer? I am just curious as to the specific excitment about the alien.

I am pretty pumped about the art work in general. I think it hits dead-on between serious and retro-whimsy, which is perfect for this game.

i'm not specifically excited about the healer, no. but even a little news is good news! seeing as there are 50 aliens in the game, i think it is good info when one of the aliens included is "confirmed."

spazard1 said:

bioball said:

i'm not specifically excited about the healer, no. but even a little news is good news! seeing as there are 50 aliens in the game, i think it is good info when one of the aliens included is "confirmed."

I don't have nearly the photographic memory I thought I would when it came to remembering the white binder @ GenCon that held all of the aliens to be included in the base set... but I do distinctly remember the Human and the Spiff. They were a clear indication that the game had a rather Space Ace / Flash Gordon kitsch to it.

bioball said:

The art, in general, is fantastic. Many of the old-school aliens are going to have their best artwork ever.

The "retro-future" look-and-feel might be a tough sell to some old-time players, but it works just fine for me. And at least it's not the "12-year-old-with-crayons" style from the Mayfair edition.

How many aliens were in the original? 20? And weren't there just that many in the Avalon Hill one? Having 50 right off the bat is definately exciting :)

Can't wait for the future expansions as well!

-shnar

The original Eon release only had 15, believe it or not. And, yes, AH was released with 20.

The original Eon edition was released with parts for 4 players, including 15 aliens. The aliens were: Amoeba, Clone, Chronos, Empath, Laser, Macron, Mind, Mutant, Oracle, Philanthropist, Trader, Virus, Void, Vulch, and Zombie.

The later Avalon Hill edition came with parts for 4 players, and included 20 aliens. They took out Void and added: Anti-Matter, Filch, Healer, Pacifist, Parasite, and Sorcerer.

bioball said:

The "retro-future" look-and-feel might be a tough sell to some old-time players, but it works just fine for me. And at least it's not the "12-year-old-with-crayons" style from the Mayfair edition.

I agree 100%. If I could agree more, I would, but I don't have that alien power. I was so disappointed with the Mayfair artwork, but I enjoyed the game too much to do with out it entirely, and there was no such thing as E-bay back then, even if I could have afforded the EON edition when I really craved it.